Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Official EBay Discussion Thread

I can see why sellers would be upset about Ebay's new policies. As a buyer, I am, too. I pay for items, immediately,  only to watch it sit for days on end, while the seller waits to receive money that's already come out of my account. Maybe if we buyers complain to them, they will explore options. It's pretty dadgum frustrating!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

I can see why sellers would be upset about Ebay's new policies. As a buyer, I am, too. I pay for items, immediately,  only to watch it sit for days on end, while the seller waits to receive money that's already come out of my account. Maybe if we buyers complain to them, they will explore options. It's pretty dadgum frustrating!

I make purchases on eBay, and I have not noticed any long delays between when I pay and when the item is shipped (and I always use PayPal).

But even if this is a problem and buyers were to complain, I doubt eBay would change their policy.   The only way I see that happening would be if the buyers (and sellers) stopped (boycotted) using eBay, and that ain't happening.

8 hours ago, peteski said:

I make purchases on eBay, and I have not noticed any long delays between when I pay and when the item is shipped (and I always use PayPal).

But even if this is a problem and buyers were to complain, I doubt eBay would change their policy.   The only way I see that happening would be if the buyers (and sellers) stopped (boycotted) using eBay, and that ain't happening.

When I look at tracking, it says it's been shipped. All that's been done, is that a shipping label has been printed. The item then sits for four or five days, before it's picked up. It happens with virtually everything that doesn't come from a large shipper.

3 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

When I look at tracking, it says it's been shipped. All that's been done, is that a shipping label has been printed. The item then sits for four or five days, before it's picked up. It happens with virtually everything that doesn't come from a large shipper.

I hate that too when I'm buying.  As a seller, I don't use any of eBay's bonehead shipping schemes just to avoid that kind of nonsense. 

When a buyer pays for an item, I print my own shipping label.  I take the package to the Post Office, usually the next day.  I ship it,  get the Tracking Number, and send it to the buyer thru eBay.  I keep a list of who paid for what and when. I also log the Tracking Number on that list, just in case something weird happens.  The less I have to deal with the eBay bureaucracy, the better IMO.

7 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

All that's been done, is that a shipping label has been printed.

Therein lies the rub.

Once the label has been created and posted to the item as far as eBay knows or cares, it shipped. The seller can then wait days if they choose to.

• Like 1

Slow shipping, after 3 or 4 days, has happened to me on about 6 of the last dozen items I've bought in the past couple months. It is the new trend I guess.

When I sold there I would ship the next day, unless is was a Sunday or Holiday of course. Buyers liked it and my feedback shows it.

Not really much higher than the going price for an old Mopar promo. 

but this guy's prices are usually on the high side. 

I see he's asking $1500.oo USD for a '60 Plymouth wagon. Nicely built but not finished. He seems to think it's a Modelhaus resin for some reason.

• Like 1

I've noticed the slow-shipping trend creeping in lately too.  The last order I received took ten days to arrive but showed an ETA of four days when I ordered it.  It didn't move for the first six of those days then suddenly started moving when it was 'received at post office'.

Ditto another order I placed last week - seller provides a tracking number at 10pm at night 10 minutes after I order and calls it shipped, but it hasn't moved since last Wednesday. 

Lots of sellers are gaming the system by providing a tracking number as soon as possible so eBay thinks they're fast shippers, and then they take their sweet time to actually drop the thing off at the post office. 

I wish more of the model companies had deals with Amazon Fulfillment, or their own Amazon stores so that you could buy on there.  Atlantis Models, for example, has an Amazon store but doesn't update it too often - so instead of purchasing on Prime with free 1-3 day shipping (that actually COMES in 1-3 days) I'll end up purchasing on eBay and waiting 10-15 for some lazy seller to finally get around to mailing the stuff I paid for

It goes like this.. eBay was founded as a collector to collector trading medium. The founder wrote the original software so his girlfriend could trade Pez dispensers. 

I had a decent business going selling old car brochures.  Of course it was a hobby effort. I packed everything paid for that week every Friday evening and mailed it all out on Saturday morning, sometimes 50 pieces. If your payment came in the Saturday mail, it waited a week. Plain and simple and even outlined in my auction text and win email.  Nobody needed a car brochure instantly.

Soon enough it expanded into general markets and started chasing Amazon’s tail. That’s when they put Amazon shipping time edicts on all sellers.  I wasn’t equipped to ship every day, so for this and other reasons I dropped out. 

One of my bad experiences was when my brother in law gave me a box of new computer stuff. I listed some hard drives, laptop batteries etc.  They sold at the minimum bid since that market was saturated. I shipped one the very next morning from receiving payment.. got bad feedback for slow shipping!  I’d had enough. 

As far as USPS tracking info goes, you should be able to tell whether the package is sitting at the seller's, or lost in the postal system.

When the label is created the tracking shows "label created".  When the package is picked up, or seller drops it off, the tracking should show "shipment accepted".  From that point on, any delay is caused by the USPS.  That is under ideal condition - USPS tracking and even package routing seems to be not very reliable.

5 hours ago, peteski said:

As far as USPS tracking info goes, you should be able to tell whether the package is sitting at the seller's, or lost in the postal system.

When the label is created the tracking shows "label created".  When the package is picked up, or seller drops it off, the tracking should show "shipment accepted".  From that point on, any delay is caused by the USPS.  That is under ideal condition - USPS tracking and even package routing seems to be not very reliable.

That's what I am  saying. The seller is generating the label. Then it's several days before the USPS takes possession. Sellers are sitting on items, until payment clears, before they actually ship the package. It's not like I'm usually ordering anything I need tomorrow, but, it's something of an annoyance.

17 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

That's what I am  saying. The seller is generating the label. Then it's several days before the USPS takes possession. Sellers are sitting on items, until payment clears, before they actually ship the package. It's not like I'm usually ordering anything I need tomorrow, but, it's something of an annoyance.

Hard to fault the seller waiting for payment before shipping.  Another lovely eBay new feature since they canned PayPal.

• Like 3

On 8/26/2021 at 7:33 PM, bbowser said:

Hard to fault the seller waiting for payment before shipping.  Another lovely eBay new feature since they canned PayPal.

It’s like waiting for the check to clear. You can’t blame them for waiting on payment like Bruce said

• Like 1

I've been watching an item (not a model car) for a week, opening price $25, no bids for days, finally somebody antes up the opener, sits there for a few more days. 

Today was the last day. It was at $40 all day. I submitted a bid in the high 50s with 5 seconds to go, and it flashes YOU HAVE BEEN OUTBID. PLEASE BID $89 OR HIGHER. And then it's over. Final price: $163!!!!

Wow. Somebody wanted it WAY more than I did. :blink::blink::blink:

On 8/26/2021 at 3:20 AM, Straightliner59 said:

When I sell on Ebay I always end the auctions on Friday night . If you pay right away I print a label on Saturday morning and plan on taking to the Post Office on Monday , that's only three days . If I sold multiple items and one buyer doesn't pay until Monday or Tuesday , then I take them all to the Post Office on Wednesday . . . your item just sat for five days . If I have several packages to go on Monday I'll do that but if only one or two it has to wait . Sorry but don't blame me for only wanting to make one trip to the PO , it has nothing to do with waiting for the payment to clear .

Edited by TooOld

From my post above I had a doubly good experience recently. I bought and paid for a second item Thursday night. A few hours later it showed as shipped. Checking Friday it too was in the mail. I got them both yesterday:D. The second one didn't have as far to travel.

I'm not sure it applies EVERYWHERE - but everywhere I've lived, the USPS will collect parcels from you for free every day, assuming you've got the postage paid somehow (either with stamps, or by printing postage).  You just book a collection online, and the next day someone comes to collect from you!  Easy!

Wish more sellers knew about this