Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kits in Walmart For Christmas

Us Aussies can only dream of prices like this.  In a local hobby/games shop the other day I saw a Coke branded kit priced at $79.95.  At local hobby shops with more realistic prices, we are still looking at $59.95.  Get 'em cheap while you can, guys!

Cheers

Alan

Interesting. Will have to check and see if our local Walmarts will carry them.

I've only seen kits at Walmart once. Probably 10 years ago, they had some of the Polar Lights NASCAR kits. I think they were $10 CDN each. So I grabbed a bunch of them. Never saw kits there again.

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Interesting. Will have to check and see if our local Walmarts will carry them.

I've only seen kits at Walmart once. Probably 10 years ago, they had some of the Polar Lights NASCAR kits. I think they were $10 CDN each. So I grabbed a bunch of them. Never saw kits there again.

I think it's a lot closer to 20yrs since Walmart has had kits in Canada. I bought a bunch of AMT and Revell kits all around $10 ea, but that was back in the early 2000's and I don't remember ever seeing any since then.

I'm off work at 8am and there's a Walmart on my way home, I'm gonna stop by and see if they have any.....not expecting there to be, but we'll see.

The largest Walmart near me has a Hobby Lobby very close by (in the old ToysRus store) and of course HL has the same kits and more at 40% off AND all the supplies and paints, etc and not just some six color paint sets.  As for the typical customer I see in these two stores that happen to be selling the same thing this month, I’ll let you all imagine why I prefer HL over Walmart anytime.  Once these kits are sold (and probably only at select stores) they will disappear from the shelves until a new batch comes in next December.  Perhaps there are a few that are roughly the same price that HL may not have in stock but yesterday at 1pm in the afternoon you would have thought there was a snowstorm coming as every line in Walmart had at least five people in line and no models to be seen anywhere, mostly food and paper products.  I did buy one 1/64 M2 car (Mustang Gasser) that the HL did not have.  I really do miss ToysRus for the diecast selection.

52 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Maybe with all this Covid stay at home orders, the market for hobbies has picked up enough that WallyMart has taken notice.

Hopefully, it can continue after Christmas. 

I seem to remember doing this same thing last Christmas season, so it's not Covid related. 

It's really a simple sales tool for them. No time wasted stocking shelves, as I'm sure the display comes on a pallet straight from the Round2 warehouse. They just plop it down in the aisle and let the sales fly. 

Going grocery shopping Saturday morning when I get off work. Stock up on essentials for us and the MIL and I'll see if our wally world has this display, none of them around me had them last year. If so I will for sure buy one to support them and it would be nice if they would supply them fulltime again. Walmart would drive prices down you would think.