Model Cars Magazine Forum

58 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

That's a 1963 designed kit. I built 2 of these in the sixties and a couple more in the seventies. I thought the front end of the AMT discussed here was better than the Revell kit of the same era. There is a later ERTL issued kit with an opening trunk that nobody mentioned

Like most of you, I built at least one of these old school AMT '57s along the way.  As has been shown on here, some nice paint and detail work will render a very nice build.  

Anyone else remember all the contentious discussions about the accuracy of the "new" AMT '57 Chevy's body when it first came out?  A lot of "experts'' claimed the original body was far more accurate.  I still don't now which one body is actually more correct, but the newer version always looked "fat" to me.  

32 minutes ago, Monty said:

Like most of you, I built at least one of these old school AMT '57s along the way.  As has been shown on here, some nice paint and detail work will render a very nice build.  

Anyone else remember all the contentious discussions about the accuracy of the "new" AMT '57 Chevy's body when it first came out?  A lot of "experts'' claimed the original body was far more accurate.  I still don't now which one body is actually more correct, but the newer version always looked "fat" to me.  

The Revell Snapper looks most accurate to me. For a hardtop, of course. I don't see anything wrong with the Revell sedan either.

4 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

That's a 1963 designed kit. I built 2 of these in the sixties and a couple more in the seventies. I thought the front end of the AMT discussed here was better than the Revell kit of the same era. There is a later ERTL issued kit with an opening trunk that nobody mentioned

That kit I like... I have about 5 of those in my stash. 2 of which are the Street Machine version...

Now I can't un-see those side mouldings' shape and incorrect transition ! 

That original c.1962 ad seq. 1957 Bel Air Hardtop has never been on my bench . Maybe it was that insanely bland late 70's box art that turned me off --- brown ?!? 

The Pepper Shaker iteration has fascinated me since I saw it in c.1973 in a high-end department store ( ostensibly , they didn't sell many kits ) . I'm sure that my mum either didn't have the funds and / or didn't think that I'd be able to assemble a glue kit at age 3...

Another member of this forum is building a customised version of that ol' AMT '57 . They sanded-away the side mouldings ( must be tedious ) and modified other custom parts to fit better . Unfortunately , I don't recall the member's name .

** ADDENDUM **

Here's the car I'm referring to in my final statement 1957 Chevy 60's Street Custom - WIP: Model Cars - Model Cars Magazine Forum

Edited by 1972coronet

On 4/24/2021 at 1:49 PM, Plowboy said:

In all of the years I've been building models, I have never built a '57 Chevy. I may be the only one!

Nope, add me to the list. To each their own, but cars from the 50s don't interest me much.

As for the main topic of discussion, I've seen a ton of these posted here, and they all build up pretty nice in my eyes.

Maybe a little more tact, or maybe a explain why you have such a strong opinion on this one.

6 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Another member of this forum is building a customised version of that ol' AMT '57 . They sanded-away the side mouldings ( must be tedious ) and modified other custom parts to fit better . Unfortunately , I don't recall the member's name .

** ADDENDUM **

Here's the car I'm referring to in my final statement 1957 Chevy 60's Street Custom - WIP: Model Cars - Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm watching that one with great interest, especially after I saw that he had dramatically reduced the fins, which is one of the things I'd like to try in my own way also. 

On 4/25/2021 at 8:23 AM, johnfin said:

Engine is wrong too. 283's had camel hump heads.

So is this going to be a Work in Progress thread and document your build and complaints?

Or is this just going to be another dead thread because it just seems like bait and everyone’s taken the bait and wants to point out why the kit is good if you want to put in the extra work. 

On 4/24/2021 at 5:53 PM, johnfin said:

I think you may be mistaken on that one. Chevy didn't produce those heads until about 1961 or 62.

Edited by Bob Warfield
wrong year

On 4/24/2021 at 7:00 PM, Sam I Am said:

Does anyone have one they want to get rid of?  After reading this thread, I want to try one. 😀

Amazon has them for $20, delivered right now (or there’s a damaged packaging version on this listing for $15 if you don’t mind taking a chance...)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LAC25I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_M3PBSQREGB4BS7NDTQNN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

On 4/24/2021 at 6:53 PM, johnfin said:

Wrong. "Double hump" heads were the "fuel injection" heads on 327 and 350 engines, and first appeared in 1962.

Other than casting numbers and the "humps" on the ends, they look just like other smallblock Chevy heads, especially in 1/25 scale.

1960's Chevrolet Cylinder Heads 3890462 Double Hump ...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

5 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Nope, add me to the list. To each their own, but cars from the 50s don't interest me much.

I've always meant to build one. I have three kits. Just never have got around to it. Always liked the '57 Ford better. 

11 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Wrong. "Double hump" heads were the "fuel injection" heads on 327 and 350 engines, and first appeared in 1962.

Other than casting numbers and the "humps" on the ends, they look just like other smallblock Chevy heads, especially in 1/25 scale.

X2!....

251537859_57BelAirf.JPG.9c61cd4b0830785560fce4ecd388664d.JPG314289415_57BelAirr.JPG.eabcfdf3f776bd7fdd3040b15b0fb441.JPG

On 4/25/2021 at 10:31 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

The 350 Engine Did not make an appearence until the '69 MY Chevrolet Line of Power Pants . The 327 was upped in CID to avoid the required  Power Robbing Government Demanded "Smog Pumps" . I am not trying to steal your Thunder . This is History . I worked at a Chevy Dealer in that Era . I've been a Car Guy since around the Time I could Talk . This is a build i did from hat release ? It had all the Custom Parts like the original Kit .  Does anyone have the Custom Headlight Buckets they would like to part with ? Thanx

Edited by dimaxion

I think the old tool AMT 57 Chevy is quite good if you take in consideration when it was developed, I mean how many kits from 1963 is perfect.
Of course it has it's flaws but it builds up good...at least after what I remember from when I built one last.

Awesome comments, Good discussion for the nostalgic Amt 57 Chevy kit... The kit is very practical although it needs "extra" attention in some areas still a classic kit.. I have even more respect for the pioneers after building these old kits from the early days... thanks to these modern companies we still get to enjoy those original kits... I had a blast building my most resent example...

Screenshot_20200304-190147~2.png

8 hours ago, dimaxion said:

The 350 Engine Did not make an appearence until the '69 MY Chevrolet Line of Power Pants ... I am not trying to steal your Thunder . This is History .

Actually, this is history:

The 350 was first offered as the L48 option in the '67 Camaro.

By '69, it was available in just about everything.

And what I said is that the "double hump" heads first appeared in 1962...not the 350 engine.

Double-humpers were available on later 350 engines as well.

"Double hump" heads are commonly called "fuel injection" heads by a lot of folks because they were on the 360 and 375HP 327 engines, but they came on many non-FI engines too.

They also come with 2 different casting marks (tall and short), several different casting numbers and part numbers, with and without accessory bolt holes, and with either 1.94 or 2.02 inch intake valves, and either 1.5 0r 1.6 exhaust valves.

All the chambers are similar, 62 or 64cc, but in addition to valve sizes, there are some porting differences that can influence power output.

Any questions?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

First it would be more informative to point out what is considered poorly done in the kit rather than a statement that its a lousy kit. Second its easy these days to get what's in the box reviews on the internet. And finally if you ask there are lots of builders on the board that can tell you about any kit. More so for an older kit such as this. 

• Xingu locked this topic