Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Heller Talbot Lago T26C Grand Prix

Just finished this Heller Talbot Lago Grand Prix racer.  Even though this kit is lightyears better than the SMER version, it still needs some help.

The typical main upgrade in kits of subjects from this era are better wire wheels.  I took the opportunity to do this by machining some brake drums and wheel hubs from aluminum and rims from PVC pipe.  The spokes are nylon monofilament fishing line.  The spinners are not exactly correct, but I think are passable.  The grill in the front was replaced with wire mesh.

Talbot-Lago-05.jpg

Talbot-Lago-07.jpg

Talbot-Lago-08.jpg

Talbot-Lago-11.jpg

Talbot-Lago-14.jpg

The dashboard is aluminum tape that I did machine turning on using a grinding stone in a Dremel tool.  The instrument bezels are machined from aluminum with aftermarket instrument faces.

Talbot-Lago-15.jpg

Talbot-Lago-16.jpg

I added a few extras in the engine compartment to make it more interesting.

Talbot-Lago-17.jpg

Talbot-Lago-18.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the pictures.  If you have any questions just ask.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by kensar
  • Like 12

Thanks for all the kind comments, everyone.

I was motivated to do a good job on this because I have been wanting to do a subject from this racing era for awhile now and there doesn't seem to be any very good kits.

The box art from the Heller box is also very cool looking.

I just hope some company would do a decent Alfa Romeo 158 or a Ferrari 500 and not want an arm and a leg for it (like MFH does).

As for the wheels, I basically try to duplicate the kit rim and hub.  A lathe and mill are needed for this kind of work.  I find that the hub can be made of aluminum but the rim is better made with a softer material like PVC or polyurethane resin, which machines good and won't break the 0.013" drill bits used for the holes.  The hub is not drilled for the spokes, but the spokes lay in a slot or on a ledge, then superglued there when the lacing is completed on that side.  The monofilament spokes are threaded in a pattern that enables me to use one piece of monofilament for each set of spokes (inside and outside spokes).  This pattern requires the number of spokes to be an odd multiple of 4 spokes: 3x4=12, 5x4=20, 7x4=28, etc.  On this model, there are 28 spokes on the inside and 20 on the outside.  A jig is also needed to hold the hub and rims in alignment when lacing the spokes and I make this from aluminum usually.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice model and upgrades to this Heller kit. Very impressive build.

The old Merit one is nowhere near as good. It survived along with the Alfetta kit via SMER for ages, but think the moulds may have gone to Atlantis?

However, I have seen both those old kits turned into very nice fully detailed models in the past, so the potential is there and they are relatively cheap kits to buy.