Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Box from SpotModel finally arrived after several days trapped at the Paris Airport...

20221020_194928.jpg.26afaa3d6be3e7144027a46ae31687d0.jpg

20221020_194921.jpg.2a21093a98cb86da9c74ed2088537c65.jpg

Finally got the last set of decals for the 1985 Manx Rally, unique in that the entire podium was made up of Mantas. Also a relative new set of decals/transbits to convert the Beemax/NuNu Toyota Carina E kit into the Carina GTi that ran in the 1996 24hrs of Spa. Finished 8th Overall, and 3rd in Class.

On 10/20/2022 at 9:26 AM, 64SS350 said:

That should have been a great time to be watching the circuit!

I have gotten into watching the GT races for the last couple of years, love some of the new cars, but sparked old interest in the older cars as well.

I was also lucky to go to the LeMans 24 Hours twice! But many years ago. Whilst there I saw one of the works Mercedes cars take off and fly into the woods, the driver was sitting by the open driver's door when the rescue crews found him! Since then the Mercedes factory pulled out the works team from the event!

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 10:40 PM, Bill Eh? said:

I completed a great Kijiji deal today. Not everyone is a Tom Daniel fan, but I'm very happy to find these. Some of the boxes are a little rough, but I knew that from the pictures that the seller posted.  All are complete and most are sealed inside. That is about as good as it gets, given the age and rarity of most of them.

2022-10-19A.jpg

2022-10-19B.jpg

2022-10-19C.jpg

Nice Beer Wagon and Refuse Truck!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PatW said:

I was also lucky to go to the LeMans 24 Hours twice! But many years ago. Whilst there I saw one of the works Mercedes cars take off and fly into the woods, the driver was sitting by the open driver's door when the rescue crews found him! Since then the Mercedes factory pulled out the works team from the event!

Mark Webber. Here’s a decent article about issues. https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorsports/uplifting-tale-of-mercedes-troubled-clk-race-car/

On 10/20/2022 at 6:07 AM, Horrorshow said:

Thanks for the tip Bill. Maybe I’ll switch to lacquer paint and use this retarder. 

Also use a very high quality brush. Cheaper brushes will leave streaks. I would not use the Testor enamel paint from those little bottles. It's rather thick and will not flow right. An enamal retarder 'might' work.

4 hours ago, lordairgtar said:

Also use a very high quality brush. Cheaper brushes will leave streaks. I would not use the Testor enamel paint from those little bottles. It's rather thick and will not flow right. An enamal retarder 'might' work.

Is there a brand of brushes and type of paint you would recommend? Primer too?

Back here in IL for my mom's memorial service yesterday; hit the Deerfield Hobby Town USA and Hobby Lobby and picked up an AMT '55 Chevy sedan at 40% off. Been wanting to build it as a mild custom for a long time.

I did see a fair number of spaces for new kits including the MPC Celica. 

6 hours ago, Horrorshow said:

Is there a brand of brushes and type of paint you would recommend? Primer too?

I primer everything even parts I brush. I use Tamiya white primer.  Paint flows better and I use Testors little bottles. I use Testors brushes and some brushes from  Hobby Lobby’s art section..

Edited by slusher

10 hours ago, HomerS said:

Auction win.....$20.  Missing chrome front and interior tub/glass (this can be pilfered from one of the current versions)

thumbnail.jpg.2c727e48e288f4ba327a4799f7464943.jpgthumbnail.jpg.5403faf5d8e9d49c321a8f6caef029ad.jpg

The glass and tub may fit but the reissued vans represent '78 up; they have a different grill than that early 73-77 one you have. Nice find.

14 hours ago, HomerS said:

Auction win.....$20.  Missing chrome front and interior tub/glass (this can be pilfered from one of the current versions)

thumbnail.jpg.2c727e48e288f4ba327a4799f7464943.jpgthumbnail.jpg.5403faf5d8e9d49c321a8f6caef029ad.jpg

That was a bargain and I have been seeing more of these pasinger vans but in really bad condition and much higher..