Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On 8/24/2019 at 9:55 AM, mchook said:

This is what I found in the box after I got home. 

Very impressive reward for a job well done!

Truth to the old saying:  even a blind squirrel will eventually find a nut!        ?

11 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I became a little dismayed when I spotted what I believe to be a very rare AMT 1964 Oldsmobile Cutlass with a melted front end and caved in top in this photo!!! :blink:

Steve

2v2EFitNzxwUbWP.jpg

Is that what it is? It's too far gone to do anything with so I figured I'd put it in my junkyard diorama the way it sits, dirt and all. Here are some pics of the good part of it.

billswreck 001.JPG

billswreck 002.JPG

billswreck 004.JPG

1 hour ago, mchook said:

Is that what it is? It's too far gone to do anything with so I figured I'd put it in my junkyard diorama the way it sits, dirt and all. Here are some pics of the good part of it.

billswreck 001.JPG

BINGO!  The mystery has been solved.  AMT modeled the Oldsmobile wheels on the 1963 Lola MKIV GT that raced at Le Mans in 1963.

1040458506_Lola_MK6GT_LGT-P_Grant_01b.jpg.29a6d37681a378f7d9c585026a85fb13.jpg

Edited by Gramps46

I've been working on a "survivor resto" on this custom '65 Impala I bought on eBay last month. (It's nearly done.) Funny thing is, it's closer to stock than custom, as it has the stock rear bumper and a full stock interior--only the front end and "bullet" talllights are custom. So last night on eBay I scored an original stock AMT '65 grille/bumper for it. Thinking maybe I can set it up so I can use either one, switching them out as the mood strikes me. I paid for it just about what a repop would have cost me from Modelhaus--similar shipping, too, if not less.

Guy was apparently parting out a built, restorable '65 Impala. If he'd put the whole car up, it would have probably brought somewhere between $35 and $55, maybe a bit more. If he gets even his starting bid price for all the pieces, he'll make over $100 (the body with glass [but no hood] went for $28). KInda sad to see it broken up this way. It would have made a nice rebuild project. :(

65ImpalaCustom03.jpg.d7b78de9afe37598705dff1e853e322d.jpg

38 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

BINGO!  The mystery has been solved.  AMT modeled the Oldsmobile wheels on the 1963 Lola MKIV GT that raced at Le Mans in 1963

It was not really a mystery to me.

I could tell just from the shape of the top of the rear fender that it was a '64 Cutlass.

It's a real shame! :(

Steve

Picked these up today. Couldn't believe there would be anything left. Yes. A prowler for my nephews to build.  An Edsel. An El Camino. 2017 Camaros. Weathering pens. And a Johnnie Lightning Monte Carlo. I use to collect Johnny Lightnings but sold most off.  Chevy pickup was a Hobby Lobby 40% coupon. I figure I could use it in my diorama. The Barracuda was a 50% off Michael's coupon. Got home and found I had one. The better half said "you spend more time buying than you do building". Can't pass up a bargain I can pass along.

image1.jpeg

Edited by ewetwo

54 minutes ago, espo said:

That is a really big haul there. I guess I need to go shopping this week. The local HL stores haven't had anything on clearance for a while, maybe that has changed. 

I went a month ago and was surprised they were here.

5 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Picked these up today. Couldn't believe there would be anything left. Yes. A prowler for my nephews to build.  An Edsel. An El Camino. 2017 Camaros. Weathering pens. And a Johnnie Lightning Monte Carlo. I use to collect Johnny Lightnings but sold most off.  Chevy pickup was a Hobby Lobby 40% coupon. I figure I could use it in my diorama. The Barracuda was a 50% off Michael's coupon. Got home and found I had one. The better half said "you spend more time buying that you do building". Can't pass up a bargain I can pass along.

image1.jpeg

The Monte Carlo is nice. I did a grille wash with The Detailer on mine before it went in my case at work. Strangely, it works much better for me on diecasts than on plastic kits.

Stopped at the closest Hobby Lobby today, nothing left on clearance.  Used the 40% off coupon for the Round 2 '32 Ford Sedan Delivery "Coca-Cola" kit.

I know its shortcomings, but might still try to build it stock-ish. Or if I really get crazy, something like a fictional US Army experimental radio truck.  One of my favorite books is Fred Crismon's "U.S. Military Wheeled Vehicles," from the good old Crestline book series.  Crismon found photos showing all sorts of oddball cars and trucks the military used between the world wars. Like a gorgeous 1937 Ford convertible, used as a Marine staff car at Headquarters--Fleet Marine Force Atlantic.

EDIT:  And the fe-mail carrier dropped off a Round 2 Subaru Brat, 78 Dodge D-100 pickup and a Moebius '66 Ford F-100 Flareside Pickup. I have a bad habit of saying "I'll get that later."  Then forgetting until the kit becomes Unobtainium.  I wanted to make sure I got those 3, so ordered them from an online vendor.  

Edited by Mike999
omit

Hello Bill. I do not know yet. I like Senna but you do not see the Berger car built .  I am buying 3 more. A friend of mine bought a bunch from a estate sale. Was able to pick before he sells them. This weekend I am picking them up. Tamiya tyrrell 002, Ferrari 312B,  1966 Honda F1. All 1/12. Could not afford them at eBay prices. I was cut a great deal. I’ll post them Sunday. 

59 minutes ago, Brudda said:

Hello Bill. I do not know yet. I like Senna but you do not see the Berger car built .  I am buying 3 more. A friend of mine bought a bunch from a estate sale. Was able to pick before he sells them. This weekend I am picking them up. Tamiya tyrrell 002, Ferrari 312B,  1966 Honda F1. All 1/12. Could not afford them at eBay prices. I was cut a great deal. I’ll post them Sunday. 

Bruce, those will all be nice additions. I believe I now have all of Tamiya's 1/12 F-1 kits. I am partial to the McLaren M23, as that was one of the cars that I saw in my first attended GP event!

Show Berger some love! LOL ?

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...