Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

5 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Minor irk yesterday evening.

I'm checking out IG, and see this comment on a post from Revell.

I of course had to respond. And Revell agreed with me. :)

Screenshot_20230811_065857_Instagram.jpg

Ugh, why are people like this?

i already have a picture of them in my head, its not flattering

• Haha 3

I got not one by two calls from Comcast yesterday morning while I was reading the Boston Herald on line with my morning coffee. The employee at the other end first tried to entice me with a $50 monthly special if I got cable TV again. I said no thanks and hung up. A few minutes later, she called back and tried to use the old pressure sales move on me. I told her that if she keeps doing it, I'll get my internet service from someone else. She quickly hung up.

Edited by John M.

Most of the Food Trucks around here anymore seem to specialize in unique foods at parties or events. In the old days, the ones that would drive thru business and work sites throughout the day where called "Roach Coaches" for a reason. 

On 8/12/2023 at 10:57 AM, CabDriver said:

Carvana offered to buy my car

IMG_1876.jpeg.d2ba1d2cdee2f7c669e2a71d3eba65e7.jpeg

I wonder if I could maybe get $560 out of them?

IMG_1884.jpeg.e7dae3f94f2369e54b976d5100599ff5.jpeg

Carvana is weird. I applied there just so I could get a tour of their "reconditioning facility". As expected lots of bondo, single stage water based paint, typical used car lot shenanigans. On the other hand, a friend was selling his 2012 Corvette Grand Sport. He had no serious offers on the car. Jokingly I told him to see what Carvana would offer. They offered him $4k more than his asking price which was already at top market price. He gave me a grand once the check cleared. :) 

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for Carvana. They've been circling the drain for a while.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 1:45 PM, espo said:

Most of the Food Trucks around here anymore seem to specialize in unique foods at parties or events. In the old days, the ones that would drive thru business and work sites throughout the day where called "Roach Coaches" for a reason. 

While typical Roach Coaches are still around delivering food to various work sites, the "other" food trucks are now a booming business.  They offer all sorts of ethnic foods, and specialty foods.  There are also events organized where bunch of those food trucks get together serving a feast of flavors. to their customers. 

My model club hires the old-style roach coach to provide food and drinks during our annual model contest.  While it is a typical food you would expect from a roach coach, that guy's food is actually quite tasty.  He grills breakfast items, and for lunch he offers burgers, hot dogs, Italian sausage, and other freshly grilled items.

Edited by peteski
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, peteski said:

While typical Roach Coaches are still around delivering food to various work sites, the "other" food trucks are now a booming business.  They offer all sorts of ethnic foods, and specialty foods.  There are also events organized where bunch of those food trucks get together serving a feast of flavors. to their customers. 

My model club hires the old-style roach coach to provide food and drinks during our annual model contest.  While it is a typical food you would expect from a roach coach, that guy's food is actually quite tasty.  He grills breakfast items, and for lunch he offers burgers, hot dogs, Italian sausage, and other freshly grilled items.

We try to attend the Friday night, live band and Food Truck thing at a local winery providing it isn't 90 degrees plus and humidity to match.  They will have a different food truck every week, and they all are good eating. My favorite food truck memory has to do with a guy, a Barista actually, who would run through the auto dealerships around Sacramento in the '90's. The guy had a license to print money, that's how good his business was. Imagin being two thirds of the way thru your 14+ hour day and a guy rolls in and makes you a triple shot whatever you want. That is what we were often running on since we didn't always get a lunch break. 

Not only irked but saddened.  

There has been a thread in where's Waldo about Donn Yost who has been dealing with serious health issues.  Another member posted a link to what looked like a obituary. I think a lot of people would have believed the obit given the circumstances.  Fortunately someone who uses Facebook and was on Donn's Facebook page said that was not the case and he is still with us.

Unfortunately AI generated hoaxes are going to become a lot more prevalent and a lot harder to tell they are not true.  

On 8/17/2023 at 7:42 AM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Not only irked but saddened.  

There has been a thread in where's Waldo about Donn Yost who has been dealing with serious health issues.  Another member posted a link to what looked like a obituary. I think a lot of people would have believed the obit given the circumstances.  Fortunately someone who uses Facebook and was on Donn's Facebook page said that was not the case and he is still with us.

Unfortunately AI generated hoaxes are going to become a lot more prevalent and a lot harder to tell they are not true.  

isn't there an old saying... don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see?

21 hours ago, blunc said:

isn't there an old saying... don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see?

I agree.  The thing that bothers me the  most is this is only get a lot worse. Plus this  cruel hoax that is still fooling people. Another person posted the obit th8nking it was true.

My roommate! Most of the time we get along, but sometimes he carries his jokes to far ! (Although I don't think he was joking) After letting him know that I had an up coming trade deal he said that he should ban me from shopping at Ollie's! This man has no hobbies unless you count sitting most of the day in front of a TV, and then half the time he sleeps during the day "watching " it.

Before 2020 he would have me drive him to a strip club in Indiana Monthly. Sometimes he wanted to go twice in a month. I could live without giving money to someone and not have anything but an empty wallet to show for it. The city made a new law for these places, and so he no longer goes to it. He say's that landlords wouldn't like my collection of model's If we had to move.

So after he made the statement I shot back then I need to stop going to walmart ect that way I don't spend anything that I have only on bill's ! We split the rent, electric ect. I pay my auto insurance, and most of the Gasoline I use I pay for. I set back Around $65-70 Dollars a month for gasoline. he shell's out 10-20 depending on if I used up the gas money. 

Sometimes he acts like his dad, and his dad treated him Poorly. I get that! My own dad was the same way, and would treat my siblings better than myself. After all we can be a product of how we were raised, but that is unless one chooses not to follow it but learn to be different than their parents. Which is the path I chose for myself. I had little in common with my late dad. Yet I respect him for working like he did to provide for his family. I didn't follow doing what he did to me growing up when it came to my children. While I still think a spanking is a good for the learning process, But the throwing of a shoe, using tree limbs, and verbal abuse I wasn't going to use on my children.

But it don't make up for the fact that my roommate can be a donkey's rear sometimes. I try not to be to him! Lets just say on the first I get just north of $500.00 and the third another $401. The whole $401 goes to him as my half of the bill's + an extra $125 per month added to that to hold for my Auto Insurance which is $414 every six Months. Sometimes I put 150-170 back a month. The rest minus gasoline money is my spending capital. Which Pays for items such as TP, Paper towles , plastic frezzer bags and other hygene items.

He rather me only have $100.00 to spend while the rest is put back for Insurance ect. But being on SSI and EBT/ I'm Not allowed to have much cash on hand. When I was growing up I didn't have much money to buy models , let alone get to many store's that had them. So what I built were from Christmas presents or birthday money from my grand parents. So I try to make up for what I missed out on while growing up. which My roommate don't like nor understand as he don't have any hobbies, or collections of anything,

Edited by ranma

1. Just watching the morning news is enough to get my britches in an uproar!

2. Dealing with my dementia riddled dad and watching him slowly fade from normalcy.

3. Buying a sealed model kit that's no longer available and finding that the factory sealed chrome tree is missing the grille! See attached photo.

Other than these... Life is usually good

AMT Sunbeam tiger.png

59 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

logged in this morning to find the site full of spam, theres enough of it to make the unread content feature near useless

People complain that they are on moderation when they first signup, so we relax the restriction and then the spammers hit. This, like the fight with the ads, is a never ending struggle.