Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

18 hours ago, Suburban_Hooligan said:

it's "stanced" or "hellaflush".  it's all about massive camber and wide wheels with super stretched tires and being as low as you can get.  it really is dumb as hell, but i digress.

The stupidest thing I ever saw. Why ruin a perfectly nice import and do that. No lie, last year I saw one of those ridiculous donked out ricer Civics lose one of their tires as it rolled across 4 lanes of traffic. The passenger ran across the highway to retrieve the runaway tire.Never laughed so hard in my life. Yeah, he heard me laughing hard since I was sitting at a red light. 

In our small town, parked on the path outside the town hall, an American black Ford Pickup with British plates designated 1966. It was on the ground all round with I suppose air suspension. Took photo's on my wife's phone but can't work out how to download them to this PC! The instructions to me look like a foreign language as I don't use a mobile phone! I must take my camera with me when I go out for a walk, which is everyday.  

Edited by PatW

6 minutes ago, PatW said:

In our small town, parked on the path outside the town hall, an American black Ford Pickup with British plates designated 1966. It was on the ground all round with I suppose air suspension. Took photo's on my wife's phone but can't work out how to download them to this PC! The instructions to me look like a foreign language as I don't use a mobile phone! I must take my camera with me when I go out for a walk, which is everyday.  

I dont know what type of phone you have but you should be able to email the pics to yourself and get them on the computer that way mate

On 5/5/2021 at 10:40 AM, Earl Marischal said:

@The Junkman

Steve,

UK registration numbers are allocated nationally by the Driver & Vehicle Licencesing Agency to the vehicle, not the owner. (Personalised plates are allowed but have to be part of the number plate register.) No numbers are duplicated. Each year new vehicles are given as part of the number, a year designation; there are 2 per year, every 6 months. For instance, the reg no of my Peugeot is WF55 XYP. The 55 means it was first registered in the second half of 2005.

However, kit cars, rods and other 'specials' can apply for an old, out of use, number either from the vehicle on which the 'special' is based or another 'dead' vehicle. 

All that said, the car pictured not only has plates of dubious legality due to size and font (these are specified in the regs), it doesn't have mudguards/fenders. Also technically illegal.

steve

Could he perhaps be a visitor?

On 4/28/2021 at 4:36 PM, Tom Geiger said:

C1DAE2D5-D028-4070-A85C-E1E11D9B9365.jpeg.98fd4f5194c73fe7626c902a7ebf8a45.jpeg

D385074E-D046-4D0F-B960-BD40FEAA20D7.jpeg.b603842bb4c72195cee18080840f4e2a.jpeg

Just up the road from me at the ancient barn that often has interesting cars..

And that’s my Lacrosse in the background!

I noticed the barn right away. Mid-1800's?

The local vintage club are having a road run today. Some of the cars stopped outside so I grabbed mums ipad to get pics of them. There were a load more that didn't stop including the oldest original model t in the uk. The black lagonda is a big car and it sounded very smooth with that slight hiss sound cars of this era make. The old fergie tractor wasn't part of the run, its still a work tractor

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnaild.jpg

thumbnailf.jpg

thumbnailff.jpg

thumbnailg.jpg

thumbnailgg.jpg

thumbnailh.jpg

thumbnailr.jpg

thumbnails.jpg

thumbnailss.jpg

thumbnailw.jpg

Edited by stitchdup

1 hour ago, landman said:

I noticed the barn right away. Mid-1800's?

It was built as a mill in the early 1800s. One of the oldest farms in town.

Everything here in our area of Pennsylvania is stone, so a lot of old structures survive.  

Edited by Tom Geiger

8 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I dont know what type of phone you have but you should be able to email the pics to yourself and get them on the computer that way mate

It's my wife's smart phone, we neither of us understand the jargon in the instructions! I have a dumb phone that I might use once or twice a month, my phone number is known only to my wife and our two sons!

2 minutes ago, PatW said:

It's my wife's smart phone, we neither of us understand the jargon in the instructions! I have a dumb phone that I might use once or twice a month, my phone number is known only to my wife and our two sons!

Cancel! Delete!

Edited by PatW

While doing some yard work at dads property a white prostreet Volarie came down the road and turned around to take a test pass. To bad when he was getting into it he was out of site.  I could hear him only.  So I guess that the 80's mom cars are being used around here now. 

Not on the on the road but up in the sky flying low. My wife had a doctor appointment out in Rochester and while we were passing through Syracuse on the NYS Thruway, I saw a Reaper drone flying overhead. That was the first time I saw a military drone in flight. I looked as if it was on approach to land at Syracuse airport nearby.

Edited by BlackSheep214

On 5/20/2021 at 10:25 AM, Rob Hall said:

Took a walk around the block and spotted a RHD M-B Metris postal van.  Didn’t realize the USPS were using these. 

E2870152-6A47-475B-A493-5C3873B8D98C.jpeg

I think they’ve bought those as a stop gap to replace the Gruman bodied S-Trucks that are aging out and/or burning down until the new, purpose built replacements are ready. I’ve read that they also replaced Mercedes badges with laser or water jet cut eagles head badges to try and disguise that these are Mercedes products from people that would automatically assume that the USPS was spending S-Class money on basic work vans when the saw the 3 pointed star emblem.........and not that a German manufacturer was building vehicles for the United States Post Office🙄

1 hour ago, Joe Handley said:

I think they’ve bought those as a stop gap to replace the Gruman bodied S-Trucks that are aging out and/or burning down until the new, purpose built replacements are ready. I’ve read that they also replaced Mercedes badges with laser or water jet cut eagles head badges to try and disguise that these are Mercedes products from people that would automatically assume that the USPS was spending S-Class money on basic work vans when the saw the 3 pointed star emblem.........and not that a German manufacturer was building vehicles for the United States Post Office🙄

It wouldn't be the first time, usps tried some vw golf diesel vehicles in the early 80s