Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

5 minutes ago, Suburban_Hooligan said:

iv often wondered, with as long as that cars been around, and all the stuff its done.  how much of the original Camaro is still there?

nothing, it was destoyed in a 140 mph fire in 2016 while preparing for pikes peak. only the name is original now

i remember seeing pic's of the car torn apart after the fire.  looked salvageable (it is a race car after all, and re-pop 69 Camaro sheet metal is easily acquired).  that's one reason iv been wondering.  if it were an axe, would it be on its second head and third handle?  or is there some actual made by GM in 69 stuff still there?

16 minutes ago, Suburban_Hooligan said:

if it were an axe, would it be on its second head and third handle? 

In the uk we'd call that triggers brush, its in an episode of only fools and horses where trigger got an award for still having the same brush after 20 years

Went to the local weekly farmer’s market with the missus this morning and parked beside this gorgeous 318 “semi hemi” powered ‘60 Dart Phoenix. Had the good fortune of speaking with the owner’s son. Turns out it’s a one owner car wearing a 15 year old restoration.

52768E86-BD3F-47D4-8CFD-3A3E25D0DCFD.jpeg

• Like 2

"iv often wondered, with as long as that cars been around, and all the stuff its done.  how much of the original Camaro is still there?"

Hmmm. Did not know about the fire. Here's BR at El Mirage in 2000. I did not see a full pass, so no speed to share. Still, I like how they did just about EVERYTHING with that car.

DSCN2873-vi.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

"iv often wondered, with as long as that cars been around, and all the stuff its done.  how much of the original Camaro is still there?"

Hmmm. Did not know about the fire. Here's BR at El Mirage in 2000. I did not see a full pass, so no speed to share. Still, I like how they did just about EVERYTHING with that car.

DSCN2873-vi.jpg

they did break 200mph with it, but don't remember when, or what the exact speed was...

On 10/7/2022 at 5:24 PM, Suburban_Hooligan said:

iv often wondered, with as long as that cars been around, and all the stuff its done.  how much of the original Camaro is still there?

I wondered the same thing and asked, the body shell and all the sheet metal is original. Even after the fire. The subframe is original but highly modified. Everything else is new. Like the brakes, holy cow they are big hence the large diameter wheels. But if your speeding along at 266 mph I would want to stop. Has a rack for steering. Control bars are different. I remember they were really concerned about tires. Above 200 mph it’s a whole new world. They had a lot of rear end gear ratios. I was told there is a special set up for top speed. Road race, silverstate etc. and takes a long time to change the car. I am going to make a model of the road race or silverstate car. The fastest camaro. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brudda said:

I wondered the same thing and asked, the body shell and all the sheet metal is original. Even after the fire. The subframe is original but highly modified. Everything else is new. Like the brakes, holy cow they are big hence the large diameter wheels. But if your speeding along at 266 mph I would want to stop. Has a rack for steering. Control bars are different. I remember they were really concerned about tires. Above 200 mph it’s a whole new world. They had a lot of rear end gear ratios. I was told there is a special set up for top speed. Road race, silverstate etc. and takes a long time to change the car. I am going to make a model of the road race or silverstate car. The fastest camaro. 

I would like to add , everyone is a class act. Took the time to answer all questions. These guys have really deep pockets yet they took time to talk about the car or anything else about the car. These people had class. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 9:50 PM, Suburban_Hooligan said:

i remember seeing pic's of the car torn apart after the fire.  looked salvageable (it is a race car after all, and re-pop 69 Camaro sheet metal is easily acquired).  that's one reason iv been wondering.  if it were an axe, would it be on its second head and third handle?  or is there some actual made by GM in 69 stuff still there?

On 10/7/2022 at 10:08 PM, stitchdup said:

In the uk we'd call that triggers brush, its in an episode of only fools and horses where trigger got an award for still having the same brush after 20 years

The original stock unibody car was destroyed in '87.

The one in the fire was the tube-frame car which was rebuilt and ran 266.2 mph at the retired AFB in Limestone Maine in 2018

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

... but I question why they would leave 4 wheel drum brakes.

If ya just drive it at the legal speed limit to shows on Saturday or Sunday, why not?

The brakes were adequate for its intended purpose when it was new, and if they're working properly, they're still adequate for the vast majority of average drivers.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
seteyfgbhfyjjfhjhnbdyjhdghsddgsjfn

32 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

If ya just drive it at the legal speed limit to shows on Saturday or Sunday, why not?

The brakes were adequate for its intended purpose when it was new, and if they're working properly, they're still adequate for the vast majority of average drivers.

I suppose.

Myself, if I had something with that kind of power, I'd want some stopping power to match. Something more than "adequate."

But like I said, to each their own. Seems to suit the owner just fine.

:)

2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Myself, if I had something with that kind of power, I'd want some stopping power to match. Something more than "adequate."

Here's a secret most people fail to understand: if you can lock the wheels consistently under normal use with the rubber that's on the car, you don't need any more brakes, and all the fancy Brembo calipers and big rotors won't stop you any faster.

Brake fade is another story though, so if you drive the car hard enough, using the brakes frequently enough to induce fade, then discs will be of some benefit, even with narrow tires. Cars equipped with larger diameter tires, or with a wider contact patch, will also benefit from upgraded brakes. Of course, on a long downhill grade, or in a car capable of high speeds, you may fade your "adequate" brakes on one stop, but this doesn't happen much on the way to Caffeine and Octane and home again.

90% of the time, typical owners never experience what their cars are capable of. Even a gutless old 2-liter Neon with a manual gearbox is way more car than the vast majority of drivers can use to its full potential.

Over the course of my career, I've taken multiple clients for "demonstration" rides in their own cars, probably never exceeding 85 or 90% of their cars' capability, and almost without fail, the passenger seats needed cleaning afterwards.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1