Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

A fisherman moving creels in a ferrari. He had one in the passenger seat and 2 strapped to engine cover with ratchet straps. I spoke with him and he said he won the car in a £25 a ticket raffle and it came with a years free insurance. he was saving up for a new pick up but when he won the car he put that money into a house. he figures with his job a pick up would be near worthless in 3 years and the ferrari cost less than a weeks bus pass so why not use it. I dont think the ferrari will last too long sat on a pier for a week at a time but thats just the local way of doing things. sort of a it does the job and it cost very little so we'll just use that instead but it is a fishing and farming community so this happens quite often. things like a xj6 with the bootlid removed so it can carry a cement mixer

Sunday afternoon, I saw on I-95 S in Massachusetts a VW Beetle.  The plate read FUSCA, which is the Brazilian term for the car.  The driver appeared to be wearing a safety vest of all things, as I could catch a brief glimpse of bright lime reflective material.

I also saw a small COE truck (Mitsubishi Fuso or similar) wearing a cement mixer body. It was the cutest little work truck.  🙂

I know next to nothing about the variations of Lambo Countach but I saw the near twin to this one cross in front of me at the beginning of a freeway on ramp (always see them when its too late to get a decent photo) in Windsor CA on Wednesday. 

AaTwzSh.jpg

What caught my eye was the slope nose and more protrusions (spoilers, lumps, vents) if possible.

On 10/21/2022 at 7:41 AM, espo said:

Saw a KHP sitting on an overpass on I-70, just in time to hit the brakes. 

It's not unusual in California for CHP on overpasses or the side of the road to be working with aircraft. That's how they are able to just "drop in" behind you so easily. They knew you were coming five minutes ago.

20 hours ago, Rodent said:

It's not unusual in California for CHP on overpasses or the side of the road to be working with aircraft. That's how they are able to just "drop in" behind you so easily. They knew you were coming five minutes ago.

Ya I'm far too familiar with the CHP's style of catching speeders. I had a California driver's license from 1963 thru 1996 when we moved to Kansas. Kansas doesn't usually use the freeway one ramps in the same manner as California and often use small aircraft to spot speeders far off. I infect lived in Sacramento prior to moving here and the main training facility is located there. Pretty common to see groups of officers in training riding in a close group of motor cyclists with a training officer. There are or were a couple of large intersections along I-70 where you would see as much as a half a dozen Mustang pursuit cars with door shields only lines up on the on-ramp waiting for someone going 66 mph. The KHP tends to sit out in the open in the middle divider on the freeway. I think they may be trying to slow people down by making their presents known. When they pull out on the rode it is to nail someone that probably should be. Hwy 435 is the major highway that sort of encircles the KC Metro on both the Kansas side as well as Mo. Ks has it posted at 70 in the north south section, and you had better be in the slower lanes if that is all the faster that you are going. I usually do 75 mph where I'm not crowding anyone else, and they are passing me like I'm tied to a tree.  The hiding in plan site thing took me a while to get used to but I'm fine with it and in some ways, I think it is more effective in slowing traffic than seeing how many tickets they can write. 

AZ Highway Patrol uses marked units on the highways and freeways, augmented by 'stealth' units - same as the regular marked units in solid black or charcoal or silver with nearly invisible markings (they show up reflective at night). But their real big play on aggressive drivers is a small collection of unmarked cars - a bright yellow Mustang, and Chargers in bright blue, fire-engine red, emerald green, and black. Sneeeeky. And, then, of course some super fast bikes. Almost forgot: they also run some unmarked F150 pickups in silver, black, charcoal, or white.

Gotta stay on yur toes around here.

Edited by Danno

3 hours ago, Danno said:

AZ Highway Patrol uses marked units on the highways and freeways, augmented by 'stealth' units - same as the regular marked units in solid black or charcoal or silver with nearly invisible markings (they show up reflective at night). But their real big play on aggressive drivers is a small collection of unmarked cars - a bright yellow Mustang, and Chargers in bright blue, fire-engine red, emerald green, and black. Sneeeeky. And, then, of course some super fast bikes. Almost forgot: they also run some unmarked F150 pickups in silver, black, charcoal, or white.

Gotta stay on yur toes around here.

That is info I did not know.

On the subject of state patrol cars, and trucks. A couple of miles down the road from where we live, Ks has some sort of service building set way off the highway. I have noticed several different state vehicles coming and going and think they may be fueling vehicles as well as a large metal building where they could be servicing them as well. I have seen one, there may be more, Dodge Charger that is a lighter silver than what they often use but with a blur roof and the top of the trunk. Odd looking and makes the car very noticeable.  The KHP seems to be using more Dodge Durangos in black, white, or charcoal with only a small shield on the door but the tubular front bumper arrangement sort of gives them away. The newest Chargers seem to be mostly white with minimal markings and the tubular bar front guards. The locale cities seem to use mostly the Ford SUVs with the "shadow" reflective side markings and the use a more conventional Puch bar front ends.