Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Got three new goodies: 

1. SA/FSM Contest Cars 2022, which surprised me at the one local book store I visit about once a year. 

2. Order of Drag City Resin Thunderbolt teardrop hoods, including for '55 Chevy, '57 Ford, '57 T-Bird, '49 Ford, and '61 Ranchero. I think 2023 might be a bit of a Gasser Year. B)

3. And last but not least, the First Gear diecast '69 Chevelle SS396 in Fathom Green I've been looking for since 2017. BOO-YA! :D

• Like 1

I got these off of Ebay. They're refurbished, used tools. I often buy tools, that way, because they're less expensive. Often, like these, they are ground to non-"stock" specs. I find this bunch extra interesting, because it's clear that the person who owned them before was a craftsman. First off, most of them were custom ground--beautifully. They're also engraved as to each one's purpose. There are remnants of Dykem on a couple of them, from marking for angled tools. Honestly, I felt a tad sentimental, when I was holding, and looking at them, the first time, understanding that they really meant something to their previous owner. One of them is engraved "Mauser Buttress" which would lead me to believe that some gunsmithing must have been involved in his work. Anyway--I shall continue to use them, as intended, and to the best of my abilities, which, I am sure, are not even close to his!😁 The different lighting in the images makes all the engraving more legible.

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

@Snake45If you can find yourself a can of Krylon Chalky Finish Anvil Grey spray, I think you'll find it pleasingly similar to Pactra's Hot Rod Primer.

Good to know! The old Walmart Color Place Flat Black was a pretty good substitute for it too, but I haven't seen it in years. B)

• Like 1

Yesterday was a great day for me! A friend found a lady cleaning property out and she had a box of models for $45 so I agreed to meet and purchase them unseen hoping I might find something worth the trip.

Here is exactly what was in that box!! Crazy thing is she was gonna throw them in the trash and decided to list them. I have already traded the Grand prix, chrysler 300 and gto screw bottoms.

20230409_085017.jpg

20230409_085029.jpg

20230409_085053.jpg

20230409_085329.jpg

20230409_085359.jpg

20230409_085409.jpg

20230409_084957.jpg

Edited by Scott8950
  • Like 4

Hello,

I just got a brand new old stock airbrush.   You may have seen my other threads on airbrushes.  Long story short, my first and only airbrush for 30 years has been my trusty Central Pneumatic 1500.  Couldn't resist when I found a "new" one, thinking about spares.  I'll create a new thread with details and comparisons.

2v2ec2MgnxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ec2MndxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

• Like 3

I’m trying to make sure to grab at least one of each of the Atlantis bi-scale kits whilst they’re easily available…latest addition is the Mack truck:

F702813E-74BD-45F9-94CA-8B37D0FFB2C8.thumb.jpeg.b66d543c91969cec32dbc30d89f287c5.jpeg

I think I have one of everything they’ve released in the ‘regular’ scales now…which is good considering they have a bunch of new stuff on the way.  I’m gonna have a LOT of fun working through all their kits once I get to them (and there’s a bunch of the 1:32 ones I’d like to pick up too…)

Wonder if a Beer Wagon would fit on the back in place of those logs? 😀

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Good to know! The old Walmart Color Place Flat Black was a pretty good substitute for it too, but I haven't seen it in years. B)

It's a nice, dark grey, not quite completely flat. It really reminds me of Hot Rod Primer--and I still have a viable bottle of that! The Color Place paint is very nice! I've been using the Gloss Black to undercoat chrome spray, and, I intend to use it on my dragster. It's great paint!

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I’m trying to make sure to grab at least one of each of the Atlantis bi-scale kits whilst they’re easily available…latest addition is the Mack truck:

I think I have one of everything they’ve released in the ‘regular’ scales now…which is good considering they have a bunch of new stuff on the way.  I’m gonna have a LOT of fun working through all their kits once I get to them (and there’s a bunch of the 1:32 ones I’d like to pick up too…)

I love this old Mack kit! I recently (within the last three years, or so) used a stake truck variant to build a lumber truck. I scratched a new bed, for it, so, yes, you can fit a Beer Wagon on it!😀 You'll enjoy building it, Jim!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CabDriver said:

F702813E-74BD-45F9-94CA-8B37D0FFB2C8.thumb.jpeg.b66d543c91969cec32dbc30d89f287c5.jpeg

Cool idea about the Beer wagon.

• Like 2

Decided to take a drive to Adrain MI over the weekend. The Ollies there still had some Monogram 1932 Ford's, so I picked up a couple more. They still had the other normal kits. Mustang, Vette and the Lambo. Some of the easy builder Jeeps, Mustangs and Ford GT'S. The Wallmart had kits but only 2 left that were discounted.  A wacky racer and a 41 Plymouth that was still at 20 bucks. 

Gott me this cool racer that I have been sitting a lot in! We had the chassi back in 2005 as a simulator at races for the STCC.  

C1922732-97E7-416F-80C2-8999032767D3.jpeg.86627e6341cca939d0de13d38c07f8b3.jpeg

here it is couple of years ago when it was sold: 

6DCF0366-61DA-482C-9018-8507C27B8190.jpeg.61124f70685a91c1615ee7cfa91f9652.jpeg

https://bilwebauctions.se/aprilauktion-1-2022/jordan-peugeot-197-formel-1-bil-50812

We where traveling with the Junior Touring car Championship back in Gymnasium, high school? Our school teamed up with a no alcohol movement and traveled the country with a team of students both for promoting the school as well as the movement. Can’t say I was to much into the racing back then but liked the events, and we did not have to much time to watch the racing since our job was promotion. 
spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Mattilacken
  • Like 4

Continuing my obsessive 1/8 bike acquisition obsession. Just won the Honda Scrambler this morning in the wee hours (It was 7 o'clock). Parts are supposed to be complete. Got the 950SS and the Kawasaki Drag Bike the  in the mail yesterday. The Honda still has most of it's shrink wrap and has original price tag from Alliance Hobbies at $43.95 but marked down to $30.75! I paid substantially more than that but had to have it. The Kawasaki is complete and mint minus the instructions. Also paid too much for that, but got a better deal than most of the ones listed at crazy prices.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

s-l1602.jpg

• Like 3

Got these from an on-line auction.  Haven't had time to go through them yet, but the few I have looked through already have me scouring my stash for buildable kits. There is some really neat stuff.  The smalls go back at least to April 1956, maybe earlier. Some of the smalls have modeling articles in them, as do most of the full-size.

20230411_092104.jpg

20230411_092226.jpg

Edited by TarheelRick
  • Like 2

Just now, Bill Eh? said:

Bill, for the '60 Pontiac Bonnevile, how are the body proportions? I'm curious because I've heard that Trumpeter is not always stellar in the engine bay department.

The only complaint I'm currently aware of is the discrepancy between the length of the roof and decklid panels when compared with AMT annuals.

I did a Q&D side-by-side comparison when the Trumpeter kit came in, and there are noticeable differences.

I don't know which is correct (though I'd guess AMT got it right), but I'll be building the Trumpeter kit as-is body-wise, with the story that the exaggerated "carrier deck" proportions (assuming they're not correct) are intentional customizing.  :D

• Like 1