Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Thought about the Magazine, etc.

From time to time, people express dissatisfaction with the erratic publication schedule, and the unfortunate delays that seem to plague getting it to print.

I'd like to remind everyone of the OTHER side of the coin.

Gregg continues to provide this forum for FREE, and it's arguably one of the best model car sites on the web.

You get far more content here, every day, than a typical magazine issue would have. 

There are in-depth build threads from some of the best modelers on the planet...and you can interact with them in almost real-time. You get honest kit reviews put up by builders who aren't trying to make anything look good to sell it, frequent input from industry insiders, history lessons from some of the most knowledgeable participants in the hobby, technical tips and in-depth discussions among people who've actually done the stuff, and a never ending stream of how-tos...plus an easily-searchable database that includes info on almost everything model-car related. And a LOT more.

Maybe it would be good to occasionally stop and think what a great resource this site is, and say a big THANK YOU for its continued existence.

x1000 on the wonderfulness of this site.  After checking the news and FB in the morning, this is usually the first place I come.  When I lived in Los Angeles I could find the mag at several hobby and book shops, but subscribed to make sure I got it.  Now I'm really glad to have the sub, because I live in a place with no close hobby or book shops. The only big bookstore is Books-A-Million, about 25 miles away.  They do carry The Other magazine, The Other Other magazine (FSM), and some British military and aircraft modeling mags.

Amen Bill! And to add to your comments, most of what is in the magazines is old news by the time we get it. Yes, there are some great How-To articles that may or may not be here on the forum, but for the most part a lot of what we get in a magazine has already been on the internet for awhile.

I agree that Gregg deserves a lot of credit for giving us this forum and I would go so far to say that if he would to start charging for it, I don't have a problem with him doing so. This place has introduced me to many things in the hobby that a stack of magazines could only hope to do. 

I have a decent sized box of MCM and SA magazines that I will be taking to the next swap meet because after I have read them, I rarely refer back to them. If I have a question on something, the answer can be found here much easier than fumbling through stacks of magazines!

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

From time to time, people express dissatisfaction with the erratic publication schedule, and the unfortunate delays that seem to plague getting it to print.

I'd like to remind everyone of the OTHER side of the coin.

Gregg continues to provide this forum for FREE, and it's arguably one of the best model car sites on the web.

You get far more content here, every day, than a typical magazine issue would have. 

There are in-depth build threads from some of the best modelers on the planet...and you can interact with them in almost real-time. You get honest kit reviews put up by builders who aren't trying to make anything look good to sell it, frequent input from industry insiders, history lessons from some of the most knowledgeable participants in the hobby, technical tips and in-depth discussions among people who've actually done the stuff, and a never ending stream of how-tos...plus an easily-searchable database that includes info on almost everything model-car related. And a LOT more.

Maybe it would be good to occasionally stop and think what a great resource this site is, and say a big THANK YOU for its continued existence.

I agree with you 100%. The only thing I find somewhat strange is that a Slot Car Magazine is published on a somewhat regular basis.  

Bill is absolutely correct.  However, the thing that I find perplexing is that we keep being told on the website that the problems should be behind them soon.  The last time was in September.  It is now 4 months later and nothing seems to be resolved.  I have been asked to renew my subscription, but I have two or three more issues on my current one.  I am reluctant to pull the trigger on the renewal.  It's not necessarily because of the money, but with the pace of the magazine's production, I have 2 - 3 more years before my current subscription expires.

1 hour ago, espo said:

I agree with you 100%. The only thing I find somewhat strange is that a Slot Car Magazine is published on a somewhat regular basis.  

Gregg had posted recently on Facebook that he was enduring more back surgery, with another device placed into his back.  He did mention that the next issue is coming.

As I see it, Jarius has been able to get the slot car magazine out, and this is what will make the next issues of Model Cars feasible.

Note that when Gregg took it over, the former owner kept the subscription monies.  He has been printing it out of  his own pocket.

I wish him luck and thank him for keeping this forum active. It is a bright spot on my day!

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Gregg had posted recently on Facebook that he was enduring more back surgery, with another device placed into his back.  He did mention that the next issue is coming.

As I see it, Jarius has been able to get the slot car magazine out, and this is what will make the next issues of Model Cars feasible.

Note that when Gregg took it over, the former owner kept the subscription monies.  He has been printing it out of  his own pocket.

I wish him luck and thank him for keeping this forum active. It is a bright spot on my day!

I agree 100% Tom.  While he has been getting the magazine printed out of his own pocket (with a little help wherever he can get it) his own pockets are not very deep.  He really got screwed when Golden Bell Press pulled out.

This Forum brightens my day every day.  I check in on here several times a day...... (nice to be retired with free time:lol:.)

3 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

AI have a decent sized box of MCM and SA magazines that I will be taking to the next swap meet because after I have read them, I rarely refer back to them. If I have a question on something, the answer can be found here much easier than fumbling through stacks of magazines!

I sold several years worth of SA and several copies of MCM, as well as several modeling books, a few years ago for this very reason.  I do wish I'd held onto Ken Hamilton's diorama book, though. 

I haven't bought a model mag in more than 20 years.

All of the information about our hobby that one could ever want can be found on line today.

Forums like this are much more valuable to us hobbyists than a magazine will ever be in my opinion.

Now the question arises, without the magazines, would sites like this exist?

Probably not, but I personally would be willing to pay a fee to belong to a forum such as this one, magazine or no magazine.

There is no interaction with a magazine.

If I have a question about something, I can find opinions and answers in minutes on the forum.

I have no interest in any magazine, but I would be lost without the help of my fellow members of this site.

Thank you Gregg and all of my fellow members!

You are all very valuable to me.

Steve

1 hour ago, Miatatom said:

I totally agree, Bill. I've learned just about 95% of my model car skills (such as they are) from this forum. I'm here every day.

Me too..... I glean so much info and help with my techniques from here. I'm glad you guys let me hang out here....

2 hours ago, Classicgas said:

I appreciate the forum as well, but nonetheless enjoy magazines. I am a big time print reader.

X2.  This forum is great for all the reasons above, but I too, like print.  I still get the daily paper even though it gets thinner as time goes by.:(

I will continue to support Gregg's efforts with a subscription.

23 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

"Gregg continues to provide this forum for FREE, and it's arguably one of the best model car sites on the web.

Maybe it would be good to occasionally stop and think what a great resource this site is, and say a big THANK YOU for its continued existence."

I also agree.. This is a great forum to be a part of ... and Thanks to Gregg and everyone that makes this site what it is...  A good place to hang out..!

13 hours ago, slusher said:

I totally agree with you Bill! This forum is a great blessing to me and I enjoy it everyday....

As do I...!

• Xingu locked this topic