Model Cars Magazine Forum

Remember Saturday morning cartoons?

4 hours ago, slusher said:

Banana Splits also came on in the late 60’s on Saturday morning. I never cared for them.. the remote was getting off the couch and changing channels yourself…

Channels? Channels...you had more than one? I wasn’t real big on the Banana Splits either, but it was something different! Bismark, ND ( I think that’s where it was broadcast from?) is 280 miles from my hometown so we could only pick it up over the air on certain days. On most days the only channel we got was CKX Brandon.

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Droopy dog was part of Tom and Jerry, which was another of my favorites!

I remember those too.👍 And Quick draw McGraw also.😁

Edited by NOBLNG

Josie and the pussycats, the Archie's,  The Jetson's, jabber jaws, Ed grimley , G.I.Joe , Transformers, M.A.S.K., Woody wood pecker, Popeye and son, Tiny Toon Adventures, Tennessee Tuxedo, Go-Go Gophers, Dudly do-right, She-ra, And Yogi and the whole Hanna Barbera / Warner Bro's cartoons.

Some where repeats that were first aired before I was born or shortly after.

Atom Ant! and a live action show such as Sid and Morty kroft;s  H.R.Pufnstuf and Land of the lost. The Grape ape, Hong Kong Phooey, and Not Forgetting STAR TREK THE ANIMATED Series.

Atom ant.jpg

pufnstuf-3_1024x1024.jpg

grape ape.jpg

Ahong-kong-phooey-5865033dbb0f8.png

star-trek-the-animated-series-58aa29d419387.jpg

Edited by ranma

1 hour ago, vintagedragcrazy said:

how about mr. magoo!

vince

Mr, Magoo. Good one!

Voiced by Thurston Howell III.

And Mr. Peabody, voiced by Maxwell Smart.

And I know radio personality Kasey Kasem voiced quite a few too, but I can't remember which. 

Anybody - Bueller??

12 hours ago, Rodent said:

Oh, come on Carl. You mean that you didn't want your parents to buy a Banana Buggy? Those were the best part of the show.

I don’t remember being abl to buy one. It was a show I tolerated until the next show..  I liked the Monkees but I never to this day have bought a Monkee Mobile..

11 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Droopy dog was part of Tom and Jerry, which was another of my favorites!

Your right.. Do you remember Ricochet Rabbit?

7 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Mr, Magoo. Good one!

Voiced by Thurston Howell III.

And Mr. Peabody, voiced by Maxwell Smart.

And I know radio personality Kasey Kasem voiced quite a few too, but I can't remember which. 

Anybody - Bueller??

Shaggy was voiced by Kasey Kasem.

9 hours ago, vintagedragcrazy said:

how about mr. magoo!

vince

I remember Mr. Magoo and the Pink Panther being shorts that they would play before the movie started in theatres. Now all we get is advertising.😡

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

I don't think Maxwell Smart (Don Adams) was the voice of Mr. Peabody but he was the voice of Tennessee Tuxedo. He and Chumley were always going to see the Professor.

Oh, that's right. It wasn't the talking dog, it was the talking penguin!

8 hours ago, slusher said:

I don’t remember being abl to buy one. It was a show I tolerated until the next show..  I liked the Monkees but I never to this day have bought a Monkee Mobile..

While in the rabbit hole that is this thread, I discovered that they were modified Amphicats and Aurora sold them in 1/25. I never built a Monkeemobile or a Beverly Hillbillies truck either.

image.png.41b3276f71230e35e05c6e34302f108e.png

16 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

"Here I come to save the day!"

Oh yes, Mighty Mouse, another was Deputy Dawg.  I can't remember the titles of many of them, after all it was over 65 years ago and my brain is not as agile as it once was.

OK.............I'll admit it. I have ALL 52 episodes of Speed Racer on my hard disc! That was my FAVORITE cartoon as a kid and when it first aired here in Central PA back in the fall of '68, ALL the kids were talking about it! Even the girls. :D

Interesting enough, I remember reading an interview years ago done by Car and Driver as they were talking to Corinne Orr who was the voice of Trixie (and all the female voices) and she said that one of the reasons you hear so many "oohs" and "aahs" in the cartoon, was because that was something that couldn't be translated from Japanese into English. So, to fill that "space" they just let out an exclamation.

She also said that because of the translation, it's the reason you'd hear them speak in long drawn out sentences. That's just how the translation would go depending on the conversation.

Now here's a long lost show (might have been mentioned) that I've not seen in a long time and was another favorite of mine. Remember "Space Giants"?

For those of you here in the Central PA area, do you remember a TV host by the name of Wee Willie Weber? He had the Peanut Gallery in his audience (all kids) and he broadcasted out of WPHL Channel 17 in Philadelphia. They would run a block of cartoons during the afternoons that would include Speed Racer........also Marine Boy, Astro Boy, Spider Man (original), Gigantor and Ultra Man.

This would have been during the 1967-'70 time frame.

Growing up in the '60's, all families we knew had only one TV set in the house, in the living room. Almost all were B&W in my middle class neighborhood, most moms were full time moms and most fathers where I lived were blue collar workers. What that meant for Saturday mornings was that my father slept in late, he was a long haul trucker and had to get out of bed on weekdays at around 5 AM. Mom always slept in with him, it was my parent's day off. 

There were five of us kids and we'd all huddle close together and close to the 19 inch B&W TV set so as to keep the volume low when watching Saturday morning cartoons. Our absolute favorites were the Warner Brothers ones, especially Bugs Bunny, but also Foghorn Leghorn, Marvin the Martian, Daffy Duck and all the rest. Mom was the type who made old fashioned meals, but on Saturday mornings, we ate cold cereal and loved it. I have no doubt that we did disturb our father and mother as they tried to sleep in by getting noisy, but they were tolerant. Cherished memories.