Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

A whole lotta 'Meh' on the list. As somebody else said, "Dig Deeper". The Ricksha is not one of the better kits, and even as a source of parts, it is very thin. Nice to see the '56 Ford and the '32 Vicky, but the rest are, tepid, to say the least. I'd like to see another Mod Stock kit to go with the Hauler, and the '53 Ford is what was in the box the last time around. It would be better given the age of the cars in the Mod Stock series to have chosen the '72 Chevy or the F-350 Ford.

So, after the hub-hub over the '63 Wagon dies down it's just Same Old-Same Old for a few months.

That Monte Carlo kit bike is a Honda 750 based Chopper with a 1970's era "tombstone" style gas tank.  Appears to share the same engine part tooling masters with the MPC "trike" kits with the Honda engine, except more of the parts in the Trike kits are plated.  Pretty cool stuff in my book....btw this bike was built 100% box stock with only paint detailing added....

DSC 0727

DSC 0725

Best....TB 

• Like 2

The AMT '56 Ford Victoria is one of my top 5 favorite kits ever, but given how many have produced over the years, do they think they can really sell enough now? I usually pick the older releases up at shows/swaps for $5-10. But I'm partial to '56 Fords- I've got a couple 1:1 '56s! I'd like to see them dig deep in the vault and re-issue some stuff that hasn't been seen in years.

20211202_211546_HDR.jpg

20211202_211403.jpg

• Like 1

Certain kits sell well every time they are issued: '56 Ford, '49 Mercury, '53 Studebaker among others.  Some guys like to gripe about that '63 Corvette coupe...but it is one of Round 2's earliest reissues, and it's still in the catalog.  Somebody is buying them.

One guy locally who operated a (now closed) hobby shop once told me he never could get enough AMT '64 Impala kits.  He'd order twice as many as he really wanted, and still get half as many as he wanted.  He'd put them on the shelf, and in a day or two they were gone.  He knew some of the guys buying them had already bought at least one from him previously.  They just liked that kit.

One guy I know buys collections...seldom does he get one without a '64 Impala, or a Monogram flip-front '66 Chevelle.  Often there will be more than one in a collection.

16 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Meh, there's a few there I'd like - I think the '32 Phanton Vicky is the version with full suspension and exhaust (as opposed to the molded-in stuff on the other AMT 32s), so I don't mind being able to pick up a few of those, I'd like an Avanti for my Studebaker collection and I'll be interested to see if they manage to make a cool package out of the T Buggy kit

I think you may have the Vicky and Phantom Vicky confused. The Vicky is the old AMT kit that is similar to the roadster and 5 windows, but like you state with a better frame without all the stuff molded in (rear suspension). It shares tooling with the Phaeton

However, the Phantom Vicky is an all new tool from the late 90's with a modern Mustang DOHC motor, very nice Halibrand style HUGE and little wheel/tire combo, and very nicely rendered independent front suspension.

I believe the 2022 kit may be the first reissue other than the pre-painted version that came out (probably 20 years ago)

32 Ford Phantom Vickie, AMT/ERTL 30089 (1999)

27 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I think you may have the Vicky and Phantom Vicky confused. The Vicky is the old AMT kit that is similar to the roadster and 5 windows, but like you state with a better frame without all the stuff molded in (rear suspension). It shares tooling with the Phaeton

However, the Phantom Vicky is an all new tool from the late 90's with a modern Mustang DOHC motor, very nice Halibrand style HUGE and little wheel/tire combo, and very nicely rendered independent front suspension.

I believe the 2022 kit may be the first reissue other than the pre-painted version that came out (probably 20 years ago)

Oh yeah, duh - you're exactly right.

In good news, I like that Phantom 'Vickie' kit too!  I'll definitely be picking up a few of those!

Edited by CabDriver

On 12/3/2021 at 6:49 AM, CabDriver said:

Oh yeah, duh - you're exactly right.

In good news, I like that Phantom 'Vickie' kit too!  I'll definitely be picking up a few of those!

The interior and chassis from the Fink Speedwagon from Revell fit the Phantom too. Or you can even use the interior from the Speedwagon in the Revell two door sedan kit for a different interior look or Phantom chassis for the independent front suspension, BUT I'd stay with the Revell rear end and suspension instead of the Phantom kits Mustang Cobra parts.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Phirewriter said:

I never really cared for the body on that Vicky...

Me neither, but I've been thinking of chopping one into a roadster pickup-type body with a scratchbuilt mini-bed, like a fad T.  I snagged several of these things cheap a few years ago and am gonna find something to do with them sooner or later. :lol:

14 hours ago, horsepower said:

BUT I'd stay with the Revell rear end and suspension instead of the Phantom kits Mustang Cobra parts.

Del is spot on with his comment here.  The Phantom Vicky kit rear suspension would not work in real life....it was missing key parts that were on the real SVT Mustang Cobra rear suspension.     TB

54 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Didn't you built one, cuz your name popped up in my head when reading the announcement.

Someone else recently did! I’ve always planned to do one, I was thinking the wagon as that was more prolific in service in my area. Still I remember the 1980 era hatchbacks. They only had one seat for the driver. The back was all flat for cargo and the passenger seat was replaced with a sorting tray.

I have the East German post office Trabbie, still have to finish it!

8 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

USPS Pinto???  Any details?  Will it have authentic decals to match what the actual postal fleet Pintos wore back in the day??   

I'm betting it's going to be one of those metal box reissues like the Studebaker, Charger & yet to be issued '53 Corvette. 

7 minutes ago, RSchnell said:

I'm betting it's going to be one of those metal box reissues like the Studebaker, Charger & yet to be issued '53 Corvette. 

I don't think it will be. The previous USPS branded kits were subjects previously seen on stamps, while the Pinto and forthcoming Ford C-series and Trailer kit were. I think it's just a case of Round2 taking advantage of the USPS licensing while they have it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

I don't think it will be. The previous USPS branded kits were subjects previously seen on stamps, while the Pinto and forthcoming Ford C-series and Trailer kit were. I think it's just a case of Round2 taking advantage of the USPS licensing while they have it.

No, it was on a stamp Casey. 

I did find an image of the stamp on line. 😉

stamp-pinto-2-1.jpg?fit=around%7C1000:62

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Casey is correct, it's not part of the stamp series.  It will be the '77 Pinto hatchback with decals and box art for the USPS Livery, something similar to the photo. 

Steve

USPS Pinto 02.jpg

Edited by SteveG

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

Casy is correct, it's not part of the stamp series.  It will be the '77 Pinto hatchback with decals and box art for the USPS Livery, something similar to the photo. 

Steve

USPS Pinto 02.jpg

I wish it was an earlier year but a 76 or75, or 74 chassis might make a better Pinto..

Steve, that USPS Pinto pic you posted looks exactly like the one I had. (Minus the striping) It was a miserable little roach of a car. But it got decent mileage. I could get better than 25  mpg around town. I one way, I still wish I had it. With at 44 mile round trip to work, it would be nice to have.

Edited by alexis
Grammar

On 12/7/2021 at 8:12 AM, alexis said:

Steve, that USPS Pinto pic you posted looks exactly like the one I had. (Minus the striping) It was a miserable little roach of a car. But it got decent mileage. I could get better than 25  mpg around town. I one way, I still wish I had it. With at 44 mile round trip to work, it would be nice to have.

I had a 76 and really loved the car. But it had zero options. I put an 8 track in it for music..