Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell spray chrome test.

Can-Con

Did I mention Barbatos has great videos?

I tend not to mind a wide-ranging thread myself, but one disadvantage has come up in this one.  Even though Claes has basically declared it, I still have to ask, to be absolutely certain:

that IS the Revell chrome you have on that Imperial grille/bumper, right?

'Cause those results are most emphatically not bad.

14 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

I tend not to mind a wide-ranging thread myself, but one disadvantage has come up in this one.  Even though Claes has basically declared it, I still have to ask, to be absolutely certain:

that IS the Revell chrome you have on that Imperial grille/bumper, right?

'Cause those results are most emphatically not bad.

Yes, it IS the Revell spray, this is a ’60 Plymouth bumper painted at the same time, mounted back to back of the Imperial bumper. Both primered. And I think the sunshine improves the image somewhat.

Only issue so far, and that’s probably a handling issue, is, I, a couple of times have gotten a lot of small bubbles in finely textured grilles like ’63 Bonneville & ’64 Grand Prix. Probably too much paint too soon....

20230609_142425.jpg.bf36e565de08ae2c67cdd8fba4c7c100.jpg

And this is the can.....

unnamed.jpg.10d86f2071d142565f130af514aa0c83.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Claes Ericsson said:

Yes, it IS the Revell spray, this is a ’60 Plymouth bumper painted at the same time, mounted back to back of the Imperial bumper. Both primered. And I think the sunshine improves the image somewhat.

Only issue so far, and that’s probably a handling issue, is, I, a couple of times have gotten a lot of small bubbles in finely textured grilles like ’63 Bonneville & ’64 Grand Prix. Probably too much paint too soon....

20230609_142425.jpg.bf36e565de08ae2c67cdd8fba4c7c100.jpg

And this is the can.....

unnamed.jpg.10d86f2071d142565f130af514aa0c83.jpg

That's pretty stunning.   Not sure you could ask for better results than that. 

It looks good, but then so does Molotow. But from what I've seen of this stuff it might be slightly more resilient than Molotow, but this can of Chrom will fade to silver if you touch it too much just the same.

You get a bit more durability out of it by decanting it and cutting it with MLT, but even then it's fairly easy to dull it to silver with handling and it won't accept a clear coat and remain "lustrous" any more than anything else out there.

On 5/26/2023 at 12:49 PM, Dominik said:

i agree with the result of the chrome spray.

it is very easy to handle and imo it doesnt matter what base color the plastic has. i tried it on yellow, turquoise, grey, black, "old chrome" to rechrome and so far. 

i'm very pleased, that it is a spraycan for a quick use and a great result.

i also tried different clearcoats to grab it without dulling out, but all clearcoat took the chromlook and the result was silver till grey. the only working layer was pledge - but i will test that again to be sure, the handling or grabbing has no effects on the shine.

for me:

replace for alclad on bumpers - yes. easy handling counts for me.

replace for bmf for chromtrim on the body - no.

replace for alclad for chromtrim on the body or small parts - perhaps.

...just to pick up my 2 cents. 

i agree with the painted bumpers - i had the same result while testing the spray and using it on my former builds.

If allowed, i will post a link to my review and tests i wrote on a german site.

On 6/17/2023 at 8:37 PM, GMP440 said:

For those here that have used the Revell Chrome spray;  any idea the surrounding temperatures that you were using the chrome paint in?

in the meantime i tested Pledge for a whole body. the shiny result is a little bit gone but you can hard rub on it without damage. i think, attaching decals will work also.

i painted it with a brush by hand, so the Pledge is not thin on every spot. therefor i think using a airbrush will get a better result.

i will make some photos and post it here.

4 hours ago, Dominik said:

...just to pick up my 2 cents. 

i agree with the painted bumpers - i had the same result while testing the spray and using it on my former builds.

If allowed, i will post a link to my review and tests i wrote on a german site.

in the meantime i tested Pledge for a whole body. the shiny result is a little bit gone but you can hard rub on it without damage. i think, attaching decals will work also.

i painted it with a brush by hand, so the Pledge is not thin on every spot. therefor i think using a airbrush will get a better result.

i will make some photos and post it here.

Thanks for the reply, but your response didn't answer the question about the temperature conditions where you're at when you used the Revell Chrome spray paint.

8 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Still waiting for my LHS to get some.

Has anyone tried putting the freshly "chromed" parts in a dehydrator overnight to see if it improves durability?

I did and also let it air dry for a week.  Seemed reasonably durable.  But even kit chrome can be damaged by continuous handling.

• Like 1

Having been disappointed with the spray on chromes in the past I try wherever to use the kit chrome. The rub is getting it off the runners with a minimal amount  left to touch in when detached. I have found that using Tamiya Translucent Smoke really good for not only protecting the chrome from handling, but also toning it down to a more realistic appearance on the model. Not only that, but it also highlights the detail and is the most inexpensive way of getting a real scale chrome finish I have found so far. Given a good stir it levels off well even when brush painted on. Brilliant stuff!

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, GMP440 said:

Thanks for the reply, but your response didn't answer the question about the temperature conditions where you're at when you used the Revell Chrome spray paint.

i used it in autuum, winter or sommer. 

the point is to warm up the rattle can, spray it, let it sit in the basement. my basement has no heating, in winter about 10-14Celsius, just yet about 19Celsius (is the maximum)

i handle the spray like all other i use. No different.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

Why am I not at all surprised his showdown involves 82 different cans of patio furniture paint? One of these is for models, the other ones make your Ollie's Plastic Adirondack Chaise Lounge silver...

It's just to show the weekend modeler, that these "chromed cap"  paint don't deliver what they promise and that you sometimes have to enter a hobby shop, so IMHO he's sending out a good message.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lordairgtar said:

All well and good but if you can't get the product, what good is it? I have contacted a lot of suppliers, hobby jobbers and shops. No one has it and they don't know when more will come. I also found that the places that do have it won't ship to the US.

Model Roundup shows it as coming soon - “Late August”. I’m hoping that’s an indication of when most US retailers will have it. 

• 4 weeks later...

The handling after the paint has dried is something I'm concerned about. Installing bumpers and grills can require handling and maybe just using rubber gloves is the answer. Also, if any type of clear sealing spray that may or may not help with the finish appearance and durability. 

• Like 1