Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Picked up this fine pewter sculpture by Franklin Mint, from a seller in a marquee at an exhibition. It is made in 1976, and is a small diorama that includes a 1937 Rolls-Royce Phantom III motor car, a chauffeur, a gentleman and a lady going to the opera and a lamp post, with a section of paving and road surface. This is a very heavy piece of pewter and is in very good condition. The label on the underside of the base says it is the work of Raymond Meyers. The price was very reasonable, and I liked the look of it...... the scale is 1:30 so it does not quite fit into my 1:24 scale dioramas. I thought about painting the piece carefully, but I might decide to keep it as natural pewter.

David

100_8047.JPG

100_8048.JPG

100_8049.JPG

2 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Picked up this fine pewter sculpture by Franklin Mint, from a seller in a marquee at an exhibition. It is made in 1976, and is a small diorama that includes a 1937 Rolls-Royce Phantom III motor car, a chauffeur, a gentleman and a lady going to the opera and a lamp post, with a section of paving and road surface. This is a very heavy piece of pewter and is in very good condition. The label on the underside of the base says it is the work of Raymond Meyers. The price was very reasonable, and I liked the look of it...... the scale is 1:30 so it does not quite fit into my 1:24 scale dioramas. I thought about painting the piece carefully, but I might decide to keep it as natural pewter.

David

100_8047.JPG

100_8048.JPG

100_8049.JPG

That's pretty cool.

23 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

...... the scale is 1:30 so it does not quite fit into my 1:24 scale dioramas. I thought about painting the piece carefully, but I might decide to keep it as natural pewter.

That's a really nice find!  I'd also be tempted to leave it alone.

If you run into anything in the same scale and want to experiment:  the old HISTOREX figures and accessories were 1/30 scale.  They're often listed as 1/32 or 1/35 but are visibly bigger.  HISTOREX is long gone, but NEMROD re-issued some of their stuff. And original HISTOREX kits are pretty common on eBay.

22 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

That's a really nice find!  I'd also be tempted to leave it alone.

If you run into anything in the same scale and want to experiment:  the old HISTOREX figures and accessories were 1/30 scale.  They're often listed as 1/32 or 1/35 but are visibly bigger.  HISTOREX is long gone, but NEMROD re-issued some of their stuff. And original HISTOREX kits are pretty common on eBay.

Thank you, Michael..... I tend to agree with you, in that this pewter sculpture is best left alone. Certainly, 1:30 is an odd scale and I will have a look at HISTOREX figures and accessories, as you advise. I am often browsing on Ebay, so this will be one further type of product to investigate.

David

I have to wonder how that pewter piece was created.  I'm of the opinion painting it would detract from the uniqueness of it.  It doesn't have to "fit" in with anything else when it can stand alone as art.

Scored another AMT annual '66 Vette roadster off eBay over the weekend, it came today. Not perfect or complete by any means, but the body is overall in good shape with emblems intact and complete (body never painted). The windshield frame is gone but that's okay because I wanna do it as the box custom with the cut-down, frameless windshield which I have an extra of. And the rocker panels are perfect! I'm gonna cut them off and use the high-zoot custom side exhausts in their place, but I I have a couple other AMT '66 Vettes with glue-roached rockers and these will sure come in handy. (I once spent three whole evenings trying to save the rockers on a body. After a lot of work, got them to where I could just barely use them, but these will be SO much better.) 

Thanks Raymond and Keith..... the more I think about this one, the more i think the pewter sculpture diorama piece should stand alone. Myself, I don't know how they created this fine piece of art, so perhaps an expert on Franklin Mint and Danbury Mint could reveal the secret ?

David

1 hour ago, Anglia105E said:

Thanks Raymond and Keith..... the more I think about this one, the more i think the pewter sculpture diorama piece should stand alone. Myself, I don't know how they created this fine piece of art, so perhaps an expert on Franklin Mint and Danbury Mint could reveal the secret ?

David

Congratulations on the sculpture.  It does appear to be a work of art.

9 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Scored another AMT annual '66 Vette roadster off eBay over the weekend, it came today. Not perfect or complete by any means, but the body is overall in good shape with emblems intact and complete (body never painted). The windshield frame is gone but that's okay because I wanna do it as the box custom with the cut-down, frameless windshield which I have an extra of. And the rocker panels are perfect! I'm gonna cut them off and use the high-zoot custom side exhausts in their place, but I I have a couple other AMT '66 Vettes with glue-roached rockers and these will sure come in handy. (I once spent three whole evenings trying to save the rockers on a body. After a lot of work, got them to where I could just barely use them, but these will be SO much better.) 

Nice score and your plans for it sound interesting.  Either of the box art cars, custom or racing would be super.

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

Nice score and your plans for it sound interesting.  Either of the box art cars, custom or racing would be super.

I'm planning to do both the box art custom and the racer, and do them both using as many original 1966 parts as possible (except maybe tires), but the racer will have a '65 body shell because that's what I have on hand. (The major difference is the emblem on the deck lid, and the FI emblems on the '65 front fenders, both of which I'm planning to keep "just because.")

I also have a fairly nice one that will be restored to factory stock, and I might have enough parts and pieces left over to build one as a drag racer, too. I'd love to build '66 Corvettes using ALL the cool custom and racing parts in that wonderful old kit! B)

34 minutes ago, Jhedir6 said:

Mine arrived today. Not bad, a week from the US vendor to Canada. Could have been 4 days if Canada Post was more organized, but still really quick. Now, do I do it stock or turn it into Dan's T/A car?

20190627_105841-vi.jpg

Very cool! Get us inside that box as soon as possible! B)

That AAR kit will be the next hot item from Revell, not unlike the Foose FD100 pickup or the Model A rod kits.  I sold a bunch of AAR conversion kits back in the day; that car has a cult following unlike any other Mopar I encountered.  Not even the Dodge equivalent (Challenger T/A) has the same following as the AAR.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...