Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

7 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Picked this up today at a garage sale right around the corner. Who knew? Why I bought it is beyond me because I’m not a Corvette  fan and I have more than I needI 

FD8D8097-5957-40B0-97A3-A65DAF87859F.jpeg

I saw a one -to-one Wednesday night on the highway. Sweet car!

I got a couple more Mustangs.

A '69 Boss 302 from HL

20190609_151938.thumb.jpg.b067f5281c31402f9799a4bf03a52907.jpg

And an '07 Shelby that a friend gave to me. He said he bought it a few years ago and never touched it since. The chassis is started and some parts are missing, but nothing that can't be fixed or replaced.

20190609_150925.thumb.jpg.426bd9efc5eafcedc98f0663ba43cd5d.jpg20190609_151433.thumb.jpg.99a8e220152bdd8c4df0d945eec2ee4a.jpg20190609_151502.thumb.jpg.bd399bf4e725ee78e3bd3de7fce8dda2.jpg20190609_151516.thumb.jpg.40d30fb3f54b9a06571ca3750a77f52d.jpg

17 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

What the pen is pointed to, the resin emblems.  So I can do a '69 like my previous truck, and now my current '68.  Wonder if there are photo-etch CHEVROLET letters for the hood?

IMG_0596_Fotor.jpg

Nice! :P

20 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

What the pen is pointed to, the resin emblems.  So I can do a '69 like my previous truck, and now my current '68.  Wonder if there are photo-etch CHEVROLET letters for the hood?

IMG_0596_Fotor.jpg

Take a look at Model Car Garage PE sets.  They don't make anything specifically for the pickups, but you might find a car that had similar letters on the hood.  You might get other things like window crank handles out of the set too.

23 minutes ago, Mark said:

Take a look at Model Car Garage PE sets.  They don't make anything specifically for the pickups, but you might find a car that had similar letters on the hood.  You might get other things like window crank handles out of the set too.

Yup. '62 '63 and '64 Impala, '65 Chevelle and '66 ElCamino have the Chevrolet block letters in the right style script for the hood.

This is the '65 Chevelle set.

mcg2070_detail.jpg

On 6/1/2019 at 6:59 PM, Snake45 said:

Got these in recent trades with SamIAm and Gramps46, respectively. Not sure what year the 1st gen Corvair is (the chassis is one-piece with molded in engine, if that helps) so I'll call it a '64 until someone can tell me different. 

64Corvair02.jpg.5b6ed4317294fcfd9675dca640a84a11.jpg

This funky '62 Corvair emerged from its week-long Purple Swim today and you would NOT BELIEVE what was hiding under all that 55 year-old hand-brushed Testor PLA red paint and Testor (or AMT) putty! :blink::o

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

This funky '62 Corvair emerged from its week-long Purple Swim today and you would NOT BELIEVE what was hiding under all that 55 year-old hand-brushed Testor PLA red paint and Testor (or AMT) putty! :blink::o

Well?!?!

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Probably a nice clean Corvair body.  Sometimes that old plastic is a bit more resilient than usual, the result being that glue and solvents in the putty don't bite into it.

No more calls, please, we have a winner! B)

Looks like Duco cement or something of the kind was used to assemble it, which didn't bite into the plastic at all. The putty pretty much dissolved in the purple bath. There's been no cutting or sanding on the body at all. It's VERY clean and restorable. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Looks like Duco cement or something of the kind was used to assemble it, which didn't bite into the plastic at all. 

I have an old Falcon kit that looked to have very heavy yellowish glue on it everywhere.  When I went to pull at the first joint, it just came apart.  I figured out the model had been assembled with rubber cement!  

Arrived in the mail today, MPC 1969 Impala SS Promo, and  need's a little repair/rechromed .Since it has to be repaired would it hurt to do a little detail work such as door handles, window trim, side trim.???

1 69 imp.jpg

1 69 imp1.jpg

1 69 imp2.jpg

44 minutes ago, ranma said:

Since it has to be repaired would it hurt to do a little detail work such as door handles, window trim, side trim.???

1 69 imp2.jpg

Since it's not in perfect or near-perfect condition, it doesn't have all that much "value" as a promo. Upgrade it to your heart's content and display it proudly! B)

17 hours ago, Mark said:

16 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Yup. '62 '63 and '64 Impala, '65 Chevelle and '66 ElCamino have the Chevrolet block letters in the right style script for the hood.

This is the '65 Chevelle set.

mcg2070_detail.jpg

AWESOME!  Thank you.  I should be able to trade what I don't want for something......

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Looks like Duco cement or something of the kind was used to assemble it, which didn't bite into the plastic at all. The putty pretty much dissolved in the purple bath. There's been no cutting or sanding on the body at all. It's VERY clean and restorable. 

Good for you Richard. 

Sometimes patience pays off. I've looked at and passed on dozens of overpriced, incomplete gluebombs, and then this turned up:

5cfeac42d364d_60elcamino1.jpg.82ae4a9c9c27a7881ceb5dbd44134eb5.jpg

5cfeac45e0452_60elcamino2.jpg.348d554c227e200ea974f0cf1b76e6ea.jpg

5cfeac3d0205e_60elcamino6.thumb.jpg.d778ea8d474bf16a9f38d953647a2c00.jpg

No paint and ALL the stock parts are there - many of them on the trees, including the taillights which are usually missing. Of course it has a lot of holes, but plenty of original sprue to plug 'em up.

Best part - got it cheeeeep; it had been up twice before for fifty with no takers, and then listed as "make offer", and I got it for half that.

This was a big seller for AMT/SMP; they kept it in the line through '61 so there are still some around. 

Edited by ChrisBcritter

The '60 El Camino almost got yet another reissue in '62, as a Styline kit.  It's listed on one (maybe both) of the '62 flat-box Styline kits (Valiant, Corvair).  Probably worn out after producing promos, and friction models and kits in '60 and '61 (promo '60 only).

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...