Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

2 hours ago, slusher said:

I always put the keys in my pocket. I don’t wear shorts but sweat pants due to the Blood pressure meds make my legs cold in winter and fall..

I am a one of those who habitually locks the door behind them out of habit. It can be maddening when I unintentionally lock it and not have the keys in my possession. So I have a spare key hidden for emergencies. When I moved into my dads house to care for him I knew he had a spare key hidden outside. I asked where it was? He told me where and I went to retrieve it so I could make sure it was the correct key and it worked incase of an emergency. My dad is and always has been the type of individual who over does everything. The key was wrapped in duct tape than put into a glass jar. The lid was sealed with duct tap then he wrapped it all in plastic which he wrapped with more duct tape. It told me literally 45 minutes to unwrap it all. Not sure how it would have all went if it was an actual emergency. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Someone tried to hack my debit card.

I tried to order something online only to find out that my card was declined.

I thought that at first it was because I was in a hurry and that I had mistyped the wrong info.

I was on break at work and was trying to finish before I had to clock back in.

Then when I was getting a sandwich for lunch, the same thing happened.

Thankfully I had cash for that.

But a call to my bank revealed that some idiot in Florida tried hack my card info and it caused my bank to lock the card resulting me having to get a new one.

"Our lives suck. Let's ruin somebody else's by hacking their accounts and running up a huge debt for them. They're strangers, so what about consequences?"

Really? Like they don't have anything better to do with their time?!

This also happened to me before some years ago.

21 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

I am a one of those who habitually locks the door behind them out of habit. It can be maddening when I unintentionally lock it and not have the keys in my possession. So I have a spare key hidden for emergencies. When I moved into my dads house to care for him I knew he had a spare key hidden outside. I asked where it was? He told me where and I went to retrieve it so I could make sure it was the correct key and it worked incase of an emergency. My dad is and always has been the type of individual who over does everything. The key was wrapped in duct tape than put into a glass jar. The lid was sealed with duct tap then he wrapped it all in plastic which he wrapped with more duct tape. It told me literally 45 minutes to unwrap it all. Not sure how it would have all went if it was an actual emergency. 

I’m surprised he didn’t bury it and plant a shrub to mark the spot.🤪

Stopped at Meijer this a.m.  In the die cast, they had a couple with James Bond 1/24 cars so for curiousity, I liked the Aston Martin but grabbed the Mustang to price scan it. $24.99!!  It's a made by Motor Max and appears to be the same one that was at WM for $10!

On 11/4/2023 at 4:48 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

Push button start. Hate'em....

I'd rather have push button automatic instead. My old '64 Dodge Dart had it.

Look at this way, you no longer have a scratched dashboard from the keys bouncing off the dash as you drive.  

11 minutes ago, espo said:

Look at this way, you no longer have a scratched dashboard from the keys bouncing off the dash as you drive.  

That was the least of my problems then. I believe the key ignition was on the lower dash next to the steering wheel, not on the steering column. I could be wrong. It's been over 50 years since I last owned it. LOL!

On 11/4/2023 at 5:48 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

Push button start. Hate'em....

I'd rather have push button automatic instead. My old '64 Dodge Dart had it.

Many new cars have (fly-by-wire) push button gear selectors (in the center console).  I much rather have a mechanical linkage to be able to put the tranny in neutral if some electronic gadget misbehaves (like the throttle).  I also dislike push button start for the same reason.  If the computer doesn't think the car's state is not "safe" to turn off the engine I'm sure it will not turn it off even if you press the button. With all fly-by-wire electronic controls you lost all control of the car (and also gain many possible ways it can malfunction, causing an accident).  Yea, I know, I know, everything is fault tolerant and fail-safe, but it doesn't make me fill any safer. would rather still have mechanical ignition switch and mechanical shift lever.  I better hold onto my current car because my next new car will be my nightmare on wheels.  And yes, I'm obviously a control-freak (for very good reason - to stay safe).

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2023 at 9:02 AM, TonyK said:

I wanna know how reliable the new push button emergency brake is. If needed in a real emergency does it lock up the wheels?

If the battery has enough juice to run the electric motor to activate the brake, and enough juice to run the computer that monitors the E-brake button, then sends signal to the motor to turn it  on, then the brake will apply. Not sure if if it will lock up the wheels since the computer will probably not let you apply them when you are driving, because it is "unsafe" to do. Besides, it is not called an "emergency brake", but a "parking brake". Should *ONLY* be used while parked.  ;)  Fun stuff!

We seem to be overcomplicaitng things just for the sake of "advancing the technology".  But hey, now you can check the status of that brake anywhere in the world, on your smart phone car app. More fun stuff!

Perfect example of some feature that worked well for many decades, and turning it into technological nightmare, with many more complex parts which could break (and cost much more to repair).  Don't get me going on all the new and exciting technology we had rammed down our throats by car manufacturers.  Do we need it? No!  Does it cost more? Yes!  Is it easily repaired? No!  Do  we even have competent mechanics to try the repair? No!  Don't get me wrong - I don't want to go back to automotive technology from the fist half of the 20th Century either. Some of the new technology is actually useful, but not very much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today's list of Irks.. 

1.) The billing department for our local Ambulance service.. Instead of submitting the bill to my dad's insurance they just sent it? Causing me to do what they should have done in the first please with insurance info I gave them when they arrived. Incompetent!

2.) Had to call and push dads health care services to send out a referral that was supposed to have been sent weeks ago. Again incompetence!

3.) Dealing with my dad's Baltimore County retirement life insurance plan. He had my mom who had passed away 11 years ago still listed as his beneficiary. Him being at the rip age of 98 it's time to fix it. Trying to navigate their system to change the beneficiary name using a cell phone was very trying to say the least. I even called their hot line number for assistance and I was sent a link which was the same info I already had that they had sent by mail. However I did finally accomplish the task. Incompetence?... Nah just our state government being a pain in the arse..

4.) Last but not least.. I was blowing the leaves with an electric blower when somehow I became entangled in the cord which cause me to fall. I didn't get hurt but my poor blowers plastic housing had cracked and was missing a large piece. After going to the local DIY store to look for a replacement I found that there are no electric blowers to be found. I went and found the missing piece. Along with crazy glue and duct tape I'm back in business again.  As to no electric blowers..🤔°°Regulations on noise pollution I'm guessing? IDK..Maybe they can make a regulation on mouthy protesters who know nothing about what they are chanting about.. 😉 

1 hour ago, A modeler named mike said:

As to no electric blowers..🤔°°Regulations on noise pollution I'm guessing? IDK..Maybe they can make a regulation on mouthy protesters who know nothing about what they are chanting about.. 😉 

I would think that gas-powered blowers are noisier (and stinkier) than electric ones.  Get your your leaf rake! :(

5 minutes ago, peteski said:

I would think that gas-powered blowers are noisier (and stinkier) than electric ones.  Get your your leaf rake! :(

Oh I still use the rake. I use the blower for clearing out the gardens and making multiple large piles which I then use the rake and walk with method to move a large mass of leaves on to a tarp which gets drugged to the street curb where the cities leave vac truck sucks them up. Beats bagging them. Saturday I have a tree guy coming to get an estimate on cutting down a humongous maple. When that tree goes 75% of my leave problem goes away.. 😉 I'll be sure to be sitting when he gives me the damage..

17 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

Today's list of Irks.. 

1.) The billing department for our local Ambulance service.. Instead of submitting the bill to my dad's insurance they just sent it? Causing me to do what they should have done in the first please with insurance info I gave them when they arrived. Incompetent!

2.) Had to call and push dads health care services to send out a referral that was supposed to have been sent weeks ago. Again incompetence!

3.) Dealing with my dad's Baltimore County retirement life insurance plan. He had my mom who had passed away 11 years ago still listed as his beneficiary. Him being at the rip age of 98 it's time to fix it. Trying to navigate their system to change the beneficiary name using a cell phone was very trying to say the least. I even called their hot line number for assistance and I was sent a link which was the same info I already had that they had sent by mail. However I did finally accomplish the task. Incompetence?... Nah just our state government being a pain in the arse..

4.) Last but not least.. I was blowing the leaves with an electric blower when somehow I became entangled in the cord which cause me to fall. I didn't get hurt but my poor blowers plastic housing had cracked and was missing a large piece. After going to the local DIY store to look for a replacement I found that there are no electric blowers to be found. I went and found the missing piece. Along with crazy glue and duct tape I'm back in business again.  As to no electric blowers..🤔°°Regulations on noise pollution I'm guessing? IDK..Maybe they can make a regulation on mouthy protesters who know nothing about what they are chanting about.. 😉 

Having been through similar experiences with my late mother-in-law I can sympathize with your experience. As for the electric leaf blower it seems as if battery operated lawn tools are the wave of the future. My battery-operated grass edger can edge circles around my old 2 cycle weed eater. 

14 minutes ago, espo said:

Having been through similar experiences with my late mother-in-law I can sympathize with your experience. As for the electric leaf blower it seems as if battery operated lawn tools are the wave of the future. My battery-operated grass edger can edge circles around my old 2 cycle weed eater. 

Yeah when this old electric blower finally dies I'll more than likely go battery vs gas. The hand held gas blowers are to heavy for my old aching hands and the back packs are over kill for my property. 

This brings me to todays not so much an Irk but a slap of reality with today's outrageous prices for everything. My tree guy stopped by to give me an estimate on the massive 50 to 60 foot silver maple tree that needs to come down. $3,0450.00 to cut, remove and stump grind the stump and multiple root runners going into the neighbors yard. Cheaper than I thought it would be but it still doesn't make it any easier to swallow. I guess no more kit buying for awhile..😞 but at least next year I'll have leaves to clean up. 😄

Mike's big A$$ maple.jpg

46 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

...This brings me to todays not so much an Irk but a slap of reality with today's outrageous prices for everything. My tree guy stopped by to give me an estimate on the massive 50 to 60 foot silver maple tree that needs to come down. $3,0450.00 to cut, remove and stump grind the stump and multiple root runners going into the neighbors yard. Cheaper than I thought it would be but it still doesn't make it any easier to swallow. I guess no more kit buying for awhile..😞 but at least next year I'll have leaves to clean up. 😄

To each his own, but there's no way I'd destroy that beautiful tree.

I had an insurance company threaten to drop me if I didn't cut everything down close to my last house...so I found another insurance company.

The trees that overhang my current house save me...literally...many hundreds of dollars annually on AC.

One of my neighbors just this past week destroyed every big tree on her lot, and what used to be a lovely shady corner now looks like a sun-baked parking lot.

I don't get it.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, A modeler named mike said:

Yeah when this old electric blower finally dies I'll more than likely go battery vs gas. The hand held gas blowers are to heavy for my old aching hands and the back packs are over kill for my property. 

This brings me to todays not so much an Irk but a slap of reality with today's outrageous prices for everything. My tree guy stopped by to give me an estimate on the massive 50 to 60 foot silver maple tree that needs to come down. $3,0450.00 to cut, remove and stump grind the stump and multiple root runners going into the neighbors yard. Cheaper than I thought it would be but it still doesn't make it any easier to swallow. I guess no more kit buying for awhile..😞 but at least next year I'll have leaves to clean up. 😄

Mike's big A$$ maple.jpg

Here in Canada, it's illegal to cut maple trees without a special permit from the federal government, being a national symbol and all. 

It would be similar to an American shooting a Bald Eagle.  😉

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

To each his own, but there's no way I'd destroy that beautiful tree.

I had an insurance company threaten to drop me if I didn't cut everything down close to my last house...so I found another insurance company.

The trees that overhang my current house save me...literally...many hundreds of dollars annually on AC.

One of my neighbors just this past week destroyed every big tree on her lot, and what used to be a lovely shady corner now looks like a sun-baked parking lot.

I don't get it.

I agree with you when it comes to trees. They also serve a phycological sense of wellbeing in addition to their contributions to the atmosphere.