Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

4 hours ago, JohnU said:

Well, I used to use it for other things other than models that HL provided. I recall using it recently, maybe a month or two ago for my wife’s baking supplies. I literally just looked at my app and discovered the coupon option is gone! Considering I have a small hobby shop full of kits anyway, don’t really mind not using it for that. They weren’t always the best price or selection. At least in my neck of the woods. Seems their data base was recently hacked too!

Me too.....but the 40% now rotates through the store. I was there a week ago and maybe 30% of the store was 40 off or more. I buy matt board, wood, paints even jewelry parts I use on my model railroad. 

Yep I think folks will get screwed on this new policy, I've been several times since the coupon went away and there are a lot of items that will probably never be discounted and not just in the modeling section either but we will see how it pans out!

13 hours ago, AMT68 said:

I've yet to see supplies (paints, glues, styrene strips etc) discounted since the 40% off coupon was discontinued. Those are items I need more than model kits (which I understand are occasionally discounted) currently.

The profit margin isn't there on the little stuff compared to larger items like model kits.  When was the last time anyone (LHS, online sellers, even Evergreen or Plastruct themselves) ever discounted any of those items?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 8:00 AM, Mark said:

The profit margin isn't there on the little stuff compared to larger items like model kits.  When was the last time anyone (LHS, online sellers, even Evergreen or Plastruct themselves) ever discounted any of those items?

Did we all kill the golden calf?

Their intent was for ladies to fill up their carts with craft items and give a deep discount on ONE item!  

The little stuff isn't discounted anywhere, probably similar to grocery stores not discounting necessities (except milk or eggs, but those are often loss leaders designed to pull you into the store to buy other stuff).  People who need a package of styrene strip or a bottle of cement are mostly buying when they need it, and unless the price is way out of whack they will buy it when they have it in their hands.

On 4/20/2021 at 10:32 AM, misterNNL said:

This is the week when all model kits are on sale  for 40% off at the Hobby Lobby stores nationwide, I stopped yesterday an picked up another '29 Ford roadster kit.

i went on saturday and got the amt 63 vette and the revell porsche tractor. i had both on my want list for so long, and figured it was as good of a time as any to get them. 

the tractor will probably be used in my farm dio, and the 63 vette i am working on now. i am surprised about the vette. i typically dont like AMT kits, and besides the enormous amounts of flash on nearly every piece, its actually a nice kit. 

with that said, i have the monogram 65 vette on order, which is scheduled to be delivered friday. i will drop the 63 like a hot potato when the 65 arrives. that was my one of my very favorite kits when i was a kid. i am going to try to really take my time and build my childhood dream car

13 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I keep seeing that the Model Master paints are discounted in a bunch of different stores (down to a buck a jar, from what I can tell) but nothing in my local store just yet.  

Anyone else seen this happening by them?

I’ve been keeping an eye in mine as well and have seen no sale on it as of yet...

14 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I keep seeing that the Model Master paints are discounted in a bunch of different stores (down to a buck a jar, from what I can tell) but nothing in my local store just yet.  

Anyone else seen this happening by them?

592E8978-23B7-48DF-901A-3FD9DA8EDA27.jpeg.2b1cdc30e4b35f4f61053ab3e7ab286b.jpeg

Yup. I bought a mess of spray cans for $1.57 each here in Exton PA. Bottles were 99 cents. Notice the labels are all marked “D” and you know what that stands for! Both Model Master racks.  

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Yup. I bought a mess of spray cans for $1.57 each here in Exton PA. Bottles were 99 cents. Notice the labels are all marked “D” and you know what that stands for! Both Model Master racks.  

Interesting! 

Weird how Hobby Lobby doesn't discount everything across their whole chain at the same time - I wonder why that is?  Would be logical for the store in PA to have the same deals as the store in CA, I would've thought...

The Zephyrhills ,FL HL discounted their paints a couple months ago & grabbed 25+ cans as I posted here. I was in Clearwater, FL a few weeks later and that HL was marking down the Model Master as I was standing there watching them do it. I asked the guy what they were bringing in to replace MM, he didn't know. I ended up grabbing another 26 cans of spray @$1.57/ea and left quite a bit for someone else. 

The 2 local HL's by my house still haven't marked down any paint. I could always use a couple more cans.

Our HL doesn't seem to run many, if any, specials or discounts on paints.  Which, is good because I already have more paint than I'll ever use in my lifetime ;).  I seem to collect tools and paint just as much as project builds.