Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis models for 2021 !!!!

gbdolfans

4 hours ago, Classicgas said:

That's a different kit, 1/12, the other one is 1/8.

"Does anyone know if Atlantis acquired the tooling for the Revell 1/12 scale motocross kits?  The kits were the Husquevarna, Yamaha, Suzuki dirtbikes."

I did notice he used an image of a 1/8 scale Yamaha, but I assumed he mistakenly grabbed the wrong image from the web, since he specifically asked about 1/12 scale Revell dirtbikes, and named all three. George can clear it up if he wants.

As for large scale Revell bikes, I don't think Atlantis got any of them. I think many (most?) are already in Europe, as Revell-AG (old company) seemed to reissue many of the large scale kits over the last few decades-- Drag Bike, '65 Vette, Jaguar XKE(?), trikes, etc.

The best thing to do is ask Atlantis if they have ___________ and see what they say. 

2 hours ago, Casey said:

"Does anyone know if Atlantis acquired the tooling for the Revell 1/12 scale motocross kits?  The kits were the Husquevarna, Yamaha, Suzuki dirtbikes."

I did notice he used an image of a 1/8 scale Yamaha, but I assumed he mistakenly grabbed the wrong image from the web, since he specifically asked about 1/12 scale Revell dirtbikes, and named all three. George can clear it up if he wants.

As for large scale Revell bikes, I don't think Atlantis got any of them. I think many (most?) are already in Europe, as Revell-AG (old company) seemed to reissue many of the large scale kits over the last few decades-- Drag Bike, '65 Vette, Jaguar XKE(?), trikes, etc.

The best thing to do is ask Atlantis if they have ___________ and see what they say. 

My bad.  I should have not mentioned any scale.  I was just asking if Atlantis had acquired the motocross/dirtbike kits that I pictured as part of the acquisition.  I just grabbed images from the internet and posted them here for the board members to see.  There was no mistake in it.  Just showing the kits regardless if they were 1/8th or 1/12 scale.  I hope that clears things up.  Casey,  thank you for pointing that out.  Didn't realize that till you mentioned.

9 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Since the topic of motorbike kits came up, but no one so far has asked about the four Revell 1/25th scale motorcycle parts packs, I was recently told by the principle at Atlantis that they do not have these particular tool(S) in their possession.  DRAT!   (I use the singular word for the tool as there have been rumors that all four motorcycle kits were contained in one single tool, and that part of the problem in marketing these kits back in 1963-64 was that everyone wanted the Harley Chopper, and to a lesser extent, the Triumph showbike, while there was comparatively less demand for the BSA, and way less for the Honda.  Meaning retailers were stuck with lots of the latter subjects and little available Harleys to sell.  A problem that I suspect would repeat itself today, though probably to a much lesser degree.   

Oh well, everything else they DO have and plan to reissue more than makes up for any disappointment over this....

Which brings to mind the topic of the 1/25th scale Harley Dyna Super Glide Sport tool that went along with the Revell F150 Harley kit of 2001.  As I recall, most or all of the bike parts were on a separate parts tree, leading one to suspect a separate tool.  While licensing costs could potentially be prohibitive, it would be super-cool to see that bike resurface as a separate stand-alone model kit at some point in the future....

DSC 0711 R-M Harley Dyna Glide Concord Purple Factory Stock

TIM   

I would love to see any of them come back. 

On 8/19/2021 at 6:37 AM, tim boyd said:

PS - Mr. Vetri has some even further ideas under consideration; if these kits sell well we might see even more ambitious projects from him and his team in the future.   Or....once again we have the fate of our own hobby in our own hands (and wallets)....TB 

Tim, any word on whether they're still negotiating with Chrysler or Stellantis over the '62 Mopars? Or... dead issue? Realistically I suppose only the Plymouth Fury would be a potential seller, perhaps if a Max Wedge setup could be tooled for it. 

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Tim, any word on whether they're still negotiating with Chrysler or Stellantis over the '62 Mopars? Or... dead issue? Realistically I suppose only the Plymouth Fury would be a potential seller, perhaps if a Max Wedge setup could be tooled for it. 

Chris....no info on this one.  The only discussions I have had with Mr. Petri so far involve my Drag Racing Model Kits book, the Revell Parts Packs et al, and future kits in that direction.  

As far as the 1962 ChryCo annuals, given what seems to sell these days, and the ability of model car companies to produce small runs and still make a profit, I see a role for all them.  The Dodge Lancer kit has a factory-correct Hyper Kit option for the Slant Six (other than the air cleaner); both the Lancer and Valiant could be done as modern day street "Gassers" with the chassis/suspension from the new Moebius '65 Gasser kit, the Newport convertible makes a very sharp shelf model, and if the '57 Eldo kit sells, even the Imperial four door could represent an opportunity, if a small one at that.  Lotsa speculation in this paragraph, though, so take it with a very big grain of salt! 

Cheers...TIM 

DSC 0400

On 8/21/2021 at 4:29 PM, Casey said:

I messaged them on Facebook about the Triumph, Harley, and Honda Drag Bikes. They replied really quickly, and unfortunately they believe Revell Germany has that tooling.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Wilson said:

I messaged them on Facebook about the Triumph, Harley, and Honda Drag Bikes. They replied really quickly, and unfortunately they believe Revell Germany has that tooling.

Did they say anything about the motocross kit?

14 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Going back to the subject of this thread, I'm grateful on multiple levels that Atlantis not only obtained this tooling, but is improving them and reissuing these vintage kits, all while keeping their manufacturing in America.

As long as Atlantis keeps the tooling in USA. I don't see China saving the Modelers any money

1F83FC90-6E73-480C-AC51-D277555221FC.jpeg.bf5316a287ef7b663b85f5781053f877.jpeg

I’m wondering if Atlantis may have this old tool…

The SS United States is a favorite of mine. The ship was retired in 1968 but still exists and is docked here in Philly.  It’s awaiting use as a permanent monument of some sort. Companies and proposals come and go.  I am a member of the foundation. 

Edited by Tom Geiger

20 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I’m wondering if Atlantis may have this old tool…The SS United States

I remember the kids next door had one of those back in the mid-70's . Fairly certain it was purchased at the local Sears ( which had a huge toy department in the basement )  . IIRC , it costed around $15 - $18 back then ( quite a bit back in c.1977 ! ) . 
I helped them with it --my skills were limited-- by painting parts of it ( I seem to recall painting the lifeboats ) . 

That kit was huge !  It was on-display until the 1987 Whittier Earthquake had its ways with it (and everything else) .

On 8/24/2021 at 2:47 PM, GMP440 said:

Did they say anything about the motocross kit?

This is what the reply was when I asked specifically about the Moto-Cross bikes in a seperate message.
"Hello-- we have 1 mold labeled Husqvarna-not sure if it is the Motocross or desert racer- but we don't have the tire mold-- not sure if we will get around to it anytime soon--when we do a test maybe next year, we will certainly post the pics- thanks"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Wilson said:

This is what the reply was when I asked specifically about the Moto-Cross bikes in a seperate message.
"Hello-- we have 1 mold labeled Husqvarna-not sure if it is the Motocross or desert racer- but we don't have the tire mold-- not sure if we will get around to it anytime soon--when we do a test maybe next year, we will certainly post the pics- thanks"

Thanks for the info.  That's actually good news. I beleive the Husquivarna moto-cross and desert racer are the same.