Model Cars Magazine Forum

The ‘other’ mag is stopping publication

6 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It seems that a lot of present day "historians" know literally nothing about the last 200 or more years, even though there's no shortage of "dead-tree" archived material available. 

I wonder which will have the more profound effect on mankind's future...the somewhat ephemeral nature of digital media, or intentional historical revisionism coupled with willful ignorance.

This is what's scary.

I will miss the magazine, just as I miss Model Cars mag.  I hope they bulk up Fine Scale in response but I'm not holding my breath.

Last year Ten Media axed 19 titles. Street Rodder, Car Craft etc.. I read an article that explained that todays consumer (whoever that is) wants videos rather than print, whether it be digital or hard copy. A quick shot of info with no reading involved. You Tube is the go to source for instruction. It's Fahrenheit 451 coming true! Soon the written word will be outmoded, and us old guys will be sitting in our basements leafing through our old magazines. ( I still have popular Mechanics from 1959 that were my dad's) On the bright side, maybe in a year or two I will be able to scan a real car with a handheld scanner and plug it into my three D printer ...technology marches on...

51 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Soon? I've been doing that for several years now! :lol:

Maybe since I had to do all those book reports and look up subjects in the Encyclopedia for school it’s nice to look thru my old model magazines....

Word has it over in FSM forums, their sister magazine last issue will be October 2020. The  OP there also mentioned the Scale Auto Mag members are pissed.  Quite a few refuse to go over to FSM forums and some are demanding they get refunds for their magazines. 

Sounds to me Kalmbach publishing is in some sort of financial trouble. Who knows, maybe the writing's on the wall that FSM will fold too.  Gonna be interesting.

Then again, this pandemic is hurting everyone.. including journalism folks who work for various magazine outlets. I have noticed no new issues of car related mags ... Hot Rod, CarCraft, etc... haven't come out with new issues since the lockdown. It goes for the other genre magazines as well.

Exactly,and it sucks.But magazines,no matter what they are are not really important at this moment.And yea sounds that Kalmbach publishing isn’t having difficulties.And it’s a real shame.I enjoy this website,but I like my magazines too.

30 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Word has it over in FSM forums, their sister magazine last issue will be October 2020. The  OP there also mentioned the Scale Auto Mag members are pissed.  Quite a few refuse to go over to FSM forums and some are demanding they get refunds for their magazines. 

Sounds to me Kalmbach publishing is in some sort of financial trouble. Who knows, maybe the writing's on the wall that FSM will fold too.  Gonna be interesting.

Then again, this pandemic is hurting everyone.. including journalism folks who work for various magazine outlets. I have noticed no new issues of car related mags ... Hot Rod, CarCraft, etc... haven't come out with new issues since the lockdown. It goes for the other genre magazines as well.

8 hours ago, Nazz said:

Someone asked about SA's Contest cars, I just heard from them and they said the 2020 addition will still be coming out. FYI.

Thanks Nazz!  Probably the last issue.

I guess that from now on model contest will have to feature photos online only.  It used to be an honor to see your contest model in print - that is changing now too.

Actually, I'm not all that upset - my club used to sent our contest photos to the Contest Annual (or Contest Cars lately) for many years. They were always published, but for the last 3 years they didn't even give me credit (I was the photographer).  All I hear back was excuses, and that "next year" they will not make that mistake.  We'll see . . .

11 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

I have noticed no new issues of car related mags ... Hot Rod, CarCraft, etc... haven't come out with new issues since the lockdown. It goes for the other genre magazines as well.

The publisher of Hot Rod and Motor Trend has axed all of their magazines except three or four, prior to the pandemic.  Besides the two titles mentioned, I think they are keeping a truck magazine and an off-road title.  Car Craft, Street Rodder, Musclecar Review, Hot Rod Deluxe, all the others...19 of them, gone already.

On 7/15/2020 at 3:22 PM, jchrisf said:

We still have this.. especially for those of us who are new to the hobby.

https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/product/dvd/15206

15206border.jpg?mw=610

$90!?!? No thank you. A bit too much money considering Kalmbach wants to end publication to SAM. Ever noticed FSM never does a car kit review on their site? I think Kalmbach feels there’s no longer a need for car kits but more for aircraft, ships, and armor.

I do agree with one poster these IPMS shows are geared to those subjects more than auto. Last year’s Syrcon show had more military kits than auto kits on contest display. Yet, they were selling auto kits too. Sad really.

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Keep in mind that most of the model manufacturers produce military etc and cars! I hope they give Kalmbach hell! 

Question is, will they listen? No but surely the repercussion has already started. Money talks, bullsh*t walks. Kalmbach will do what they want no matter what.  FSM has been on the downside for a while, Hell, I even did them a favor to have them ban me from their FSM forums after they started moderating my comments. All started with one member who didn't like my comment and always fell  in favor from the mods themselves.

19 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Question is, will they listen? No but surely the repercussion has already started. Money talks, bullsh*t walks. Kalmbach will do what they want no matter what.  FSM has been on the downside for a while, Hell, I even did them a favor to have them ban me from their FSM forums after they started moderating my comments. All started with one member who didn't like my comment and always fell  in favor from the mods themselves.

That's why this forum is much bigger than SA's, which used to be very active and vibrant. And I recognize a LOT of names here from the old days over there. I don't miss "over there" at all anymore. 

35 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Question is, will they listen? No but surely the repercussion has already started. Money talks, bullsh*t walks. Kalmbach will do what they want no matter what. 

Take a look at their website and the array of magazines they publish... jewelry making, model trains, real trains, astronomy etc.  Interesting that these are all more lucrative than model cars

I understand they cancelled two other mags.. bead crafts and garden railroads.

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

I won't miss SA's magazine or forum when the time comes. With the various forums on the 'net, there's no need for either one any longer. 

One person's opinion.  I will.  If not for SAE this place would NOT  be here. SAE is the reason I got back into the hobby in 92. I will miss the mag considerably  and the Forum was the first modeling forum I joined. 

Yes I had an email from Scale Auto outlining the last Scale Auto Mag would be October 2020! Also that SA stuff is being included in the Finescale Mag, but I don't want a tanks/aircraft mag!

I've ordered only this week their Contest Cars Annual 2020 and paid for it, so I hope I get it!

I've read various comments on other sites saying that the Finescale mag looks like disappearing soon as well! I've paid my SA Sub to December 2021!

Although it was my first modelling website, I shall be sorry to see it go. But since last Sunday I've not been able to access either SA or Finescale websites, they tell me that they had an IT upgrade of their sites last weekend and I should 'clear my caches and Cookies' I answered saying that they need to tell me how as I'm not IT/PC Savvy and don't know how to do it! 

Edited by PatW

2 hours ago, Classicgas said:

One person's opinion.  I will.  If not for SAE this place would NOT  be here. SAE is the reason I got back into the hobby in 92. I will miss the mag 

Same here! Gary Schmidt and Scale Auto brought back a hobby that had all by died.

Back in 1991 I was on a business trip to Boston and found Scale Auto in a magazine store. I was amazed there was a model car magazine. I read it cover to cover and subscribed. In the back of that first issue I had was a classified ad for the TriState Scale Model Car Club and the rest is history!

I think a lot of us owe our interest in the hobby to SAE. Maybe a new generation will discover it via Youtube. I know that I use Youtube for all sorts of things. This week, I'm planning on spending a couple of days working on my Audi. Without Youtube, I don't think I'd attempt it.

3 hours ago, PatW said:

Yes I had an email from Scale Auto outlining the last Scale Auto Mag would be October 2020! Also that SA stuff is being included in the Finescale Mag, but I don't want a tanks/aircraft mag!

I've ordered only this week their Contest Cars Annual 2020 and paid for it, so I hope I get it!

I've read various comments on other sites saying that the Finescale mag looks like disappearing soon as well! I've paid my SA Sub to December 2021!

Although it was my first modelling website, I shall be sorry to see it go. But since last Sunday I've not been able to access either SA or Finescale websites, they tell me that they had an IT upgrade of their sites last weekend and I should 'clear my caches and Cookies' I answered saying that they need to tell me how as I'm not IT/PC Savvy and don't know how to do it! 

That would be interesting but not surprising if Fine Scale folded as well. They too are just a shadow of their former selves. I let my subscription lapse for that reason.