Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On 4/24/2018 at 5:22 PM, Mike999 said:

EDIT: I just opened the El Camino.  The box says "injected in Black Pearl" and I wanted to check that out.  It's molded in a color I would call Dark Anthracite Gray (or something like that).  The pearl flakes are nicely in scale and this might be a kit to just polish and clear-coat...if you can live with the sink marks in the body. The ones that jumped out at me are along the upper sides of both front fenders.  The Trail Bike is molded in red plastic (as the box says).

You made me buy one of these, and I thought I had no interest whatever in it. But how else am I ever gonna add Black Pearl (or even Dark Anthracite Gray) to my Polished Plastic collection? B)

Been picking up Revell kits I'm interested in as I find them, so far bought one of the Foose F-100 kits (may do a second), then a second Foose Caddy, second Lincoln Futura (for less than $20 w/tax!), another prepainted ZL1 for another donor kit (mainly drivetrain and seats, it does come with a LS-A and 6L80E after all!), and one of the Jeep Honcho kits.

Added this Fujimi kit to my stash, needed another "simple" kit to do in-between my detailed builds, and this one will take very little effort, but still look real when finished.    -and the box art is Beautiful!!

s-l500.jpg

Edited by Dann Tier

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:25 AM, Snake45 said:

Got a New Ray diecast late model GT350 Mustang from Hobby Lobby. Will have to do some research to see exactly what year it is and what it's supposed to look like, but it looks like a late Mustang to me in the box, the dark blue paint looks pretty good, and I'll bet an hour or two of Snake-fu will have it on my shelf. I'm not enough a fan of the car to do a full kit build of it. 

Dug this out to see what it needs. I thought it was a bit oversized, but measuring the wheelbase, it's 1/24.2 so I guess it's okay. Mine is dark blue but they also come in the classic white with blue stripes scheme.

I can't really find too much to do to this one. I sanded the tire treads and hit the (silver) front parking lights with some pearl white. Looks like there might be some improvements to be made in the headlight area, but not sure I want to risk prying out the clear covers and trying it. I do think I'll try to paint the amber front side marker lights, though. This thing is actually a pretty nice little cheap diecast.

Thanks to the reviews on this board for inspiring me to get a Revell Baja Bronco at Hobby Lobby yesterday.  Thereby hangs a tale...

I ordered one of the original, stock Bronco kits on-line when it first came out. Then HL got it in stock, and I bought a second one with the 40% off coupon.

But as we all know, the original kit had undersized tires/wheels.  I could fix that for one stock kit - found a set of Moebius F-100 wheels and tires at a kit swap meet.  But then the Baja Bronco version came out, with the bigger wheels, fender flares and other improvements.

Fortunately I'd left the HL price tag on the second stock kit, though I didn't have the receipt.  A new Hobby Lobby just opened near me a few days ago.  Yesterday I took in the stock kit and traded it in for the Baja version.  Had to pay a price difference of $5.30, which was OK since I got the kit at 40% off.

On 4/29/2018 at 6:46 AM, tbill said:

Hit toys r us yesterday, thought these would look cool behind a pick up or wagon 

AC1FEF03-EDCC-449E-9420-B0B44F0947F9.jpeg

I just picked one up as well from Toys R Us! Grabbed it because it was a really nice shade of green and then I find out it is a special hunt issue, or a Green Machine, from Greenlight! 

Related image

Quite surprised how much stuff TRU is still carrying. Too bad there are no models 

Edited by Daddyfink

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

I picked up a built Johan '64 Coupe deVille hardtop on eBay for dirt cheap. The most important thing is that the tailfin tips are intact. I had to fabricate new tips for my '64 ragtop and it was a royal pain.

Know what you mean. I have a resin '58 Cadillac 2-door hardtop that I got cheap at a kit swap meet.  Both rear fender tips are chipped.  There's not much surface area to glue anything on, or even form epoxy putty around.  It can be done but, as you say, it will be a pain.  It might be better to sand back the chips, they're pretty small.

That 58 Cadillac came in a package deal with the ARII '58 Eldorado Biarritz convertible. The seller told me he wanted to use the ARII chassis/engine etc. to detail the resin kit.  But after some measuring and studying, he gave up on that idea.  The ARII kit is 1/24 scale.  The resin kit was mastered off the Johan 4-door.  It's allegedly 1/25 but looks a little smaller, like all Johan Cadillacs of that era.  So he couldn't make it work.

A weird thing: whoever mastered the '58 2-door did a good job of extending the front doors and filling the back door lines.  But they left the Johan "Fleetwood" lettering across the trunk.  IIRC, the only Fleetwood in 1958 was the Sixty Special 4-door, like the Johan promo.  The 2-door hardtops were the entry-level Series 62 and the fancier Coupe de Ville.

19 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

I picked up a built Johan '64 Coupe deVille hardtop on eBay for dirt cheap. The most important thing is that the tailfin tips are intact. I had to fabricate new tips for my '64 ragtop and it was a royal pain.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Nice Caddy...!    I have that one a good buddy of mine sent me for my collection....Someday id love to add a 69 and 70 Coupe DeVille HT to it.

Been there done that too, on a '64 promo vert I restored and the '64 Coupe deVille I'm working on now. I drilled a hole in the broken-off area with (IIRC) a #72 bit, did the same on a larger chunk of plastic, inserted a short piece of a straight pin with a drop of CA on each end and stuck them together with a dab of liquid cement to weld it, then carved the tip down to match. Turned out pretty nice.

Trivia tidbit: The '70 Caddy (promo and kit) is the only Jo-Han Coupe deVille that isn't missing the word "Coupe" in the quarter panel script; '63-'69 all only have "deVille". Tom P. made a rubber mold from his '70 kit so I could cast up a couple sets with UV resin for my '64.

Flea Market Day!  Who can resist a bright yellow 1/24 scale '74 Maverick?  Not me!  Maverick models are hard to find in any material, and this one from Motor Max will look great in the Malaise Era collection. Once I get it out of that water-logged box, anyway.  Ditto for the Motor Max 2015 California Highway Patrol Ford Police Interceptor Utility.  I like to collect CHP vehicles, too.

Those bookends aren't really bookends.  They're diorama bases!  Or potential rubble in a Monte Cassino or other WWII Italy diorama.  Hmmm, Monuments Men...

And the Testors 1/72 scale SR-75 Penetrator?  What can I say, it was weird and cheap. And BIG.  I'm getting up an eBay sale right now and that one might be part of it.  Or maybe I'll turn it into a 1/25 scale Land Speed Record car...

fm-4.JPG

Edited by Mike999
error

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...