Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

20 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I have to admit that the summers here are tough but the rest of the year the weather is great !  Not that hard to survive, air in the cars, house, stores, movie theaters. I have been here about 16 or so years and at first it was tougher to me than it is anymore. 

I’m sure you figured out how to adjust and being in a very humid environment now I will still take it over three months of dreary cold and gray skies and no car shows during the winter.

I'm was born and raised in Chicago and was there in 67 when we had a blizzard. I forget the year but I saw a huge tornado from my front yard. It tore through my high school ( OLCHS ) and ripped it apart pretty good. One hour earlier and the school would have been full of kids on all 3 floors.  It seems that where ever you live there is something not to like. 

• Like 1

I know this sounds crazy.I was walking through the supermarket today,and noticed they already started putting Halloween candy out.Ok,well that part “Irks” me.However I’am happy,because i love candy corns,so I bought a bunch of bags.👻

My normally assigned school bus came back from the shop yesterday with a fully rebuilt front suspension and steering system and it was like driving a new bus. I drove a group of day camp kids and counselors to New Hampshire today on a charter and the bus drove flawlessly on Interstate 93 both ways. I'm happy.

• Like 1

Interviewed for a position yesterday. The most comprehensive interview I've ever had in my short career of working for others- demonstrated how to read an analog micrometer, machine tool knowledge etc. When asked if I could run a manual lathe and read service manuals and follow instructions, I replied that I had over 400 service manuals in my shop library & had a 14x48 South Bend at my resto shop and would be more than happy to turn something out on one of their lathes if needed. The owner replied "hell no, the fact that you volunteered said enough. We have a hell of a time finding someone who can run the older manual stuff." After a tour of the facility I was offered the position. A 40% pay increase and less than 5 miles from my new place by the beach. Life's good.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, RSchnell said:

Interviewed for a position yesterday. The most comprehensive interview I've ever had in my short career of working for others- demonstrated how to read an analog micrometer, machine tool knowledge etc. When asked if I could run a manual lathe and read service manuals and follow instructions, I replied that I had over 400 service manuals in my shop library & had a 14x48 South Bend at my resto shop and would be more than happy to turn something out on one of their lathes if needed. The owner replied "hell no, the fact that you volunteered said enough. We have a hell of a time finding someone who can run the older manual stuff." After a tour of the facility I was offered the position. A 40% pay increase and less than 5 miles from my new place by the beach. Life's good.

Congratulations on the new job!🙂

• Like 1

We have been having some very oppressive heat lately, and I realize that we are not alone on that issue. We had a pop-up shower this morning and minimal wind, so we enjoyed having morning coffee and tea on the covered patio watching the birds come and go on the feeder and the gentle rain. Sort of nice to put life in neutral sometimes. 

• Like 1

Oh man i found an 86 Suzuki RM 250 on line.It was my first dirt bike growing up.Greatest dirt bike i have ever ridden.250 two strokes scream..Only problem is,I’m on Long Island,and the bike is in Maine.🙄That figures,of course.This bike would be great for my son,and myself.👍

IMG_5877.jpeg

IMG_5875.jpeg

Edited by NYLIBUD

I'm now into my fourth year without cable TV. It was getting expensive and I didn't watch it as much so it was Adios to the service. I saved almost $1300 a year and some of that was rerouted to feed my styrene addiction. One less bill means less stress.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, John M. said:

I'm now into my fourth year without cable TV. It was getting expensive and I didn't watch it as much so it was Adios to the service. I saved almost $1300 a year and some of that was rerouted to feed my styrene addiction. One less bill means less stress.

I got rid of paid TV in 2016 for the same reasons. Too many ads and the content that was being created wasn't worth the price. Don't miss it in the least. Occasionally I watch my sisters house and they have cable. Haven't seen anything to change my mind at this point.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I got rid of paid TV in 2016 for the same reasons. Too many ads and the content that was being created wasn't worth the price. Don't miss it in the least. Occasionally I watch my sisters house and they have cable. Haven't seen anything to change my mind at this point.

I haven't had any cable or network tv for a decade or more. I was fed up with the relentless adult diaper and scooter commercials and the stupid news clones. I find more than I care to watch on streaming channels. When I go to my in-laws house I usually have to leave the room because they just use rabbit ears which pull in only bottom feeder tv stations.

Oh wait - this is a "what pleased you today?" thread. It pleased me that I'm not seeing the above noted commercials and news broadcasts. :)

Yeah, I haven't had cable since 2017.  I've been happy w/ all the streaming options.  I was pleased today that my painter finished w/ the painting of my basement at my old house...new carpet will be put down in a couple weeks.  Working on finishing unpacking the garage, getting it painted inside next week...hope to have the house on the market later in the month. 

We had Xfinity home internet and cable, $130 a month, and switched to T-Mobile internet for $50 a month and freed up $80 a month for some streaming options.  My wife picked Disney, I picked Peacock (for the live NY news, mostly) and Discovery, and we already had Amazon Prime video...still making a saving and we pick and choose which service we want and never run out of something to watch.  Don't miss cable AT ALL

6 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Good for you. I also sent my land line phone packing the same year you pulled the cable plug since I got my flip cell phone and it's alot cheaper to use monthly . I've been living more practical mainly due to being more Conservative with my spending habits. (Except when it comes to my styrene addiction)

Edited by John M.

Just got pulled over this evening by state police officer.  That's not what pleased me.   

I have a 2013 Civic Si that's my "toy" car.  It spends most of its life in my dad's barn and comes out on nice days occasionally.   That's where it's been for a few weeks up until today.   

My plates all come due for renewal in mid-July, and I paid for them all early and got the tags with time to spare.   Unfortunately,  I completely forgot to put the new tag on the Si.  Out of sight,  out of mind.  You see where this is going. 

Anyway, that's why he pulled me over.   The pleasing part is that he was really cool about it, and sent me on my way without a ticket.   Seemed like a pretty decent guy to talk to. 

42 minutes ago, atomicholiday said:

Just got pulled over this evening by state police officer.  That's not what pleased me.   

I have a 2013 Civic Si that's my "toy" car.  It spends most of its life in my dad's barn and comes out on nice days occasionally.   That's where it's been for a few weeks up until today.   

My plates all come due for renewal in mid-July, and I paid for them all early and got the tags with time to spare.   Unfortunately,  I completely forgot to put the new tag on the Si.  Out of sight,  out of mind.  You see where this is going. 

Anyway, that's why he pulled me over.   The pleasing part is that he was really cool about it, and sent me on my way without a ticket.   Seemed like a pretty decent guy to talk to. 

Even here in the state of California (that many of you deem Draconian) they won't pull you over on August 4 for tags that expired in July unless you are doing something else to draw attention to yourself. Glad it ended well.