Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reveal your user name origin

misterNNL

I think this could be a very interesting board. Simply tell us what you based your user name on,occupation,brand name preference, year you were born,etc.

I'll start......Mister NNL. Really pretty simply actually. My wife and I hosted a picnic at our Jackson Center,Ohio home in1980 for some fellow model car building friends. Those were guys we had met while competing at the MPC contest series. That group formed the core of the now well known Nameless National Luminaries.thus the user name Mr.NNL.

Now there is my user name back story.....what is yours ?

20 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

what is yours ?

I'll add in Tom

Khils

...pretty much lacks creativity!   :blink:   My first initial & first 4 of last name.  

Who am I

.....sat to your right, next to Frank @ supper after NNL39.  Very much enjoyed! Yours, Frank's & Marty's humor and conversation! !

-  Kevin

Kind of self-explanatory if you know Mazdas! Long time Mazda owner/enthusiast; on my second Miata. They last forever and a blast to own and drive. Here's my current ride in it's natural habitat, on the curvy roads in NC/TN. One day a local friend of mine and I took off for the Tail of the Dragon to meet another friend from PA, coincidentally all driving True Red Miatas. It was a Tuesday and my assumption was right, we had a great chance of making the Killboy Highlights that week, and sure enough we did. We had a blast that day.

2v2E1bfq5xvKa6.jpg

2v2E1bfdWxvKa6.jpg

2v2UUdPs5xvKa6.jpg

My former Miata, had it 14 years, best car I've ever owned, sold it to one of my best friends who is keeping her in good shape to this day:

2v2ohbw75xvKa6.jpg

2vR9sibFxvKa6.jpg

For awhile I had both, this is before I modified my red one w/new suspension and updated OEM wheels. 

2v2ok377DxvKa6.jpg

I'll throw in......Keith Buckner is my name. Pipefitting was my game. I went to work in Memphis back in '79, at the Delta Oil Refinery. My crew foreman could not remember my first name...he kept calling me Kyle, Kevin, Kenny, anything with a "K" except Keith! I kept correcting him, so he finally just took my last name and came up with "BUCKY". All his friends had nicknames, and he said those were easier to remember. I've been called BUCKY ever since then.

Many years ago, SA(then E) ran an article on my '61 Ferrari 250 GT SWB. One of the things they said was how I was "Obsessively" into getting the little details done. A cousin of mine saw that and was tickled how they used the word "Obsessive", so that's where my handle MrObsessive comes from.

On another board, I went by the name "Plastiksurgeon" because as most of you know, I won't hesitate to point out where something is not quite right with a particular model's body shape and take measures to show how/where it can be fixed. It's also a moniker I use on my one YT channel, but there's not much model stuff on there (yet). I have it well as one of my email addresses.

Back when I owned and drove my 1959 Dodge Coronet (in the late 90's) our family got our first computer.  My friend Tom said that I needed a screen name for the old AOL Model Chat Rooms (remember those...??)  

I used my initials R.A.M., fins and 59 for my Dodge.

Mine goes back to high school, so 1990 or so.

I'm a guitar player, had our old school thrash band back when the old school was the new school. We were pretty good, played a lot of shows in the area, opened for some pretty decent sized tours for bands like Scared Reich, Atrophy, DRI. Made a little money at it too.

I hated playing solos, as I never felt my chops were up to the task, but it was kind of the cool thing to do at the time, so the band decision was that I would do a solo during shos. And when I did my little two minute thing, our singer would also introdcue me as Superdan. I kind of stuck with a few people back then, I turned it into a joke, and now here were are almost 30 years later and the name survives on the internet...and with like three people in real life.

:)

My three great interests in life are cars, guns, and airplanes. "Snake" covers all three areas: Shelby Cobra, Ford ('69) Cobra, Dodge Viper, Don Prudhomme, Eddie Schartman's Air Lift Rattler; Colt Python, Colt Diamondback, Colt King Cobra; Bell P-39 Airacobra, Bell P-63 King Cobra, Bell AH-1 Huey Cobra, F-16 Viper, VMF-323 "Death Rattlers" Corsair, and so forth. And of course I love the Simpsons character "Snake," the cultured/literate reprobate/outlaw. (Remind you of anyone? B)) And John Carpenter movies. 

Oddly enough, real snakes kind of creep me out. :wacko:

Edited by Snake45

When I got home from work one night years ago. There was this little white puppy sitting by my garage door. I had it for about 2 weeks before I found the owners. I had named it Ewe because it looked like a little lamb. When I got my dog. I named her Ewetwo. That's my user name at many places in memory of her.  She was a wonderful dog. 

For me it was my occupation. I was a pipeline landman aka right-of-way agent, property agent, property officer. I'm the one who negotiated land rights with the landowners, was the go between during the construction of the pipelines. (owner/ company/contractor), and settled the claims after . I used to joke about knowing everyone from the Alberta border to Montreal but only on one side of the highway.

Edited by landman

Mine came from a song by Social Distortion "Bad Luck" which was a favorite of Baby Girl's (my daughter) and on of my favorite lyrics to the song "Thirteen's my lucky number,To you it means stay inside.Black cat done crossed my path,No reason to run and hide." and being she is the one who got me back into this hobby,hence

Badluck 13

15 minutes ago, landman said:

For me it was my occupation. I was a pipeline landman aka right=of-way agent, property agent, property officer. I'm the one who negotiated land rights with the landowners, was the go between during the construction of the pipelines. (owner/ company/contractor), and settled the claims after . I used to joke about knowing everyone from the Alberta border to Montreal but only on one side of the highway.

I do a similar job now, I work as the coordinator between contractors and my companies engineers to draw up encroachment agreements on pipeline right of ways.

The first forum I joined was the MINI Cooper site (North American Motoring), back in 2006, after the previous owner told me about it when I got her 2003 S.   As I was sitting at the desktop computer, was thinking about where would I rather be, thought driving over to Jerome on 89A, add my name, rolls off the tongue nicely. I won a Photo Of The Month contest with this picture, taken on the abandoned part of 89A.

190 THE END.jpg

1 hour ago, martin9428 said:

Was and is my AOL email name. I can still hear the modem sound while trying to connect through phone line

Yeah I remember that annoying almost screeching sound when trying to connect to AOL.  My daughters used to hate when I was on the 'puter back then, because they couldn't use the house phone.