Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dear hobby friends....

Dear hobby friends,

Remember January 1st?... Wishing your loved ones and friends all the best, in this which we thought would be a great new year!
Now we know better, in fact, the roller-coaster ride is still not over, but in these uncanny times, we find comfort with family and friends and keep our sanity through our hobby, in this case, the love of building/collecting plastic scale models.
Through this pandemic model kit building together with other "classic pastimes" gained momentum, and I'm thinking maybe a good time for us ambassadors of this Great Hobby here on the Model Cars Magazine Forum to help trying to find out the definition of that perfect kit in whatever segment.

So here goes...
What makes you decide to buy a certain model kit, is it?
 -subject matter/theme; muscle cars, sports rally, cars, pickups, hotrods, racing, classics, boat, plane, other...?
 -does the box art sometimes make you purchase something you really didn't plan to, if so, give an example of such a kit?
 -does the manufacturer brand influence your buying choice, and if so, which is your preferred and least preferred and why?
 -what do you love about building a model kit and what's the least favorite part of the process?
 -does a high parts count scare you as too much of a challenge, or does a low parts count make you feel the product could be toylike?
 -what type of kit do you prefer (glue, snap, full detail, curbside)?
 -do you like building options, and if so, what (engine upgrade, choice of wheels, decals, other)?
 -if you wish to give manufacturers a "non-subject matter" suggestion what would it be?

Now, something totally different, let's assume you had all the money in the world, a very understanding wife, thus no boundaries whatsoever and would like to start up an automotive collection, which 7 (real, NOT model kits!!!) vehicles, one for each day of the week, would you like to own, operate, have on display in your exuberant mancave... whatever...like, for instance, a replica of the Chrysler Norseman!

Thank you for participating in this little survey!

Luc

I lean towards vw/audi etc family of kits but dont limit myself to just those and probably have more others than vw. I Have bought kits based on the box art or just to see what they are like. n example of this would be the amt original customising 57 chevy and 50 ford kits I really only got for the boxes. The chevy was a wreck but the ford turned out to be mint. As far as manufacturers I buy from any that have something that I like the look off but I prefer the japanese brands or newer revell for subject matter that holds my interest or if something is a screaming deal I'll take a chance on it. My favourite parts of building is doing heavy custom body work to suit my tastes and my least favourite part is final assembly/completion as I find it a bit depressing until I start the next one. I dont mind a curbside kit but prefer them to have an engine and decent interior but chassis detail isn't important to me as how many people ever look at the models chassis once completed (hot rods are an exception to this as so much of the look depends on the chassis). I like glue kits but also use glue on snap kits and the more options the better for me and would like to see some of the muscle kits come with modern engine options and alternate parts for lowering. As for a non subject matter suggestion revell in europe need to use decent boxes, once they have been opened once they lose all rigidity and are just useless for anything else, and I would refer them to the us boxes that manage to hold their shape for long after the kit is built.

1/1 cars I'd like in my garage (all would be customised)

mk3 golf gti 16v on throttle bodies. I know there are more powerful options available but I just like the look of the 90s euro look stuff from germany in the mid 90s

vw sp2 on bags and some mesh style wheels

nissan skyline r32 tuned to around 600 bhp

mk2 jaguar chopped and 2 doored

1936 ford chopped in the kustom style

1933/4 ford hotrod 3 window smoothed and modern styled

vw t2 bay window bus with a suburu engine and more luxury type interior

So here goes...
 -subject matter/theme; muscle cars, sports rally, cars, pickups, hotrods, racing, classics, boat, plane, other...? 

not really. but I like oddball stuff, eg, I would buy an old Heller Mercedes panel over an AMT Camaro

-does the box art sometimes make you purchase something you really didn't plan to, if so, give an example of such a kit?      No

-does the manufacturer brand influence your buying choice, and if so, which is your preferred and least preferred and why?     Not really

-what do you love about building a model kit and what's the least favorite part of the process? 

I like most parts however the sanding and filling of aircraft fuselage joints being the least favorite

-does a high parts count scare you as too much of a challenge, or does a low parts count make you feel the product could be toylike?      No - a mix of both is good

-what type of kit do you prefer (glue, snap, full detail, curbside)?         Any - depends on what it is

-do you like building options, and if so, what (engine upgrade, choice of wheels, decals, other)?           Not important to me

-if you wish to give manufacturers a "non-subject matter" suggestion what would it be?      For modern car subjects include die cut window masks!

1959 Cadillac 4 door hardtop  - (flat top)

1930 Bentley Speed 6

1930 Alfa 2300 Monza

2008 Ford Mustang GT500KR

Shelby Daytona coup replica

Jaguar XJ13 replica

Citroen DS23 Pallas

What makes me buy a kit?

1. Subject matter. Why buy a kit that I don't really want to build? I'm not a collector, and I could give a hoot about rarity or value.

2. Brand. The quality of North American kits often pales in comparison to the Japanese brands. Plus, the NA brands don't often have the subject matter I like. Having said that, subject matter will always win over brand preference.

3. Cost. There is a price cap that I just cannot bring myself to cross. And it fluctuates depending on how bad I want the kit.

Hmm...7 real cars for the garage?

Porsche 964RS - In either Rubystone Red or Maritime Blue please.

964RS.jpg.b04e99e2ef2b917c6f2a91fc42df59d4.jpg

Porsche 996 GT2 - the first Porsche I drove that scared me on the track. And right after, I wanted to do it again. And again.

1761862472_996GT2.jpg.2701b6954116e1b488327d7bdf887c0a.jpg

Porsche 959SC by Canepa - the classic, but better.

999685335_Canepa959SC.jpg.d2434e15700f2b3b078581da7e7f2fe6.jpg

Aston Martin V12 Vantage S by Q, with manual transmission

1402182540_V12VantageSQManual.jpg.7fafda934b56c75f5aa020e15aad0667.jpg

Chevrolet C150o 454SS - the GMT400 range is my all time fav truck design. And in black, of course

454SS.jpg.17ebd3e38db8dbe02c891088a326d0ee.jpg

Chev Silverado 1500 LT Trail Boss - never should have sold this. I want another.

2146937826_TrailBoss.jpg.a5f04028d702a5a5cedb394762727bc3.jpg

Eatheroamer XV-HD - because I want to take my hotel with me everywhere.

Earthroamer.jpg.d9af409888274f13d293fdec8d36269b.jpg

Okay, I'll bite. ;)

1. Subject matter is everything!

If I'm not completely excited about the subject, the build will ultimately become a chore.

2. Box art is completely irrelevant to me.

3. Brand of kit is irrelevant as well.

4. I have several "favorite" procedures in the building process.

I like foiling and I enjoy the painting process.

I also enjoy to a large extent the process of scratch building and modifying modern kit parts to fit into vintage body shells.

Nothing is more rewarding to me than seeing a bunch of parts come together seamlessly that were never designed to fit together.

I don't like polishing paint, although I feel it's a must on every build, and chassis work kind of bores the hell out of me.

5. Parts count is also not a consideration for me.

6. Type of kit matters little to me as well.

I'm not afraid to fully detail a curbside kit, or turn a highly detailed kit into a curbside for that matter, although I don't remember ever doing that. ^_^

7. Options really don't matter to me either.

I suppose it's nice to have some optional stuff, but if the kit doesn't have something that I want, I'll find it somewhere else.

8. The only suggestion that I would make is to be certain that the body proportions are absolutely correct

Far too often, our expectations are dashed when a highly anticipated kit finally arrives and is found to be a misshapen mess.

As far as 7 cars that I would like to have goes, I really can't answer that.

I love so many cars and my tastes change so frequently that I really couldn't be definitive.

But you can rest assured that they would all be American cars built between 1949 and 1973! :D

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I don't build any type import automobiles at all. I find them too boring. I prefer Muscle cars/trucks and hot rods. I will do an oddball kit as well.

Does the box art sometimes make you purchase something you really didn't plan to, if so, give an example of such a kit?

Irrelevant to me.

Does the manufacturer brand influence your buying choice, and if so, which is your preferred and least preferred and why?

MPC , Revell, Monogram and AMT. Although sometimes AMT can give me fits depending on the car model kits.

What do you love about building a model kit and what's the least favorite part of the process?

The option to build in any way I want. Least favorite part of the process? I'd say not having the parts in my spares bin I want.

Does a high parts count scare you as too much of a challenge, or does a low parts count make you feel the product could be toylike?

Nope. Bring it on! I love a challenge.

What type of kit do you prefer (glue, snap, full detail, curbside)?

Glue with the option to build more then one version.

Do you like building options, and if so, what (engine upgrade, choice of wheels, decals, other)?

Absolutely!! Any option is a bonus to me.

If you wish to give manufacturers a "non-subject matter" suggestion what would it be?

No answer to this one.

Now, something totally different, let's assume you had all the money in the world, a very understanding wife, thus no boundaries whatsoever and would like to start up an automotive collection, which 7 (real, NOT model kits!!!) vehicles, one for each day of the week.

My list is more than 7 LOL!! But I think I can manage it down to just 7; all built up as muscle cars.

The first one is a definite...

1. 1964 Dodge Dart GT (ragtop or hardtop) - my first car was a '64 Dodge Dart.

The next 6 in no particular order:

2. 2019 Dodge Hellcat or Demon Challenger

3. 1970 1/2 Chevy Camaro or 1969 Camaro

4. 1966 Chevy Impala

5. 1972 Chevy Chevelle SS

6. 1956 Nomad

7. 2016 Mustang Shelby GT-H

The kits I buy fall into two categories, things I actually want to build and donor kits to supply parts that aren't in the first group of kits. The box art doesn't really matter though I do prefer pictures of the actual kit at least somewhere on the box. Brand doesn't really matter either, most builds on my shelf have parts from several kits from all the brands in them. This is why I like options, the more parts I have to work with or use elsewhere the better. I have many builds where they plan is to replace a promo style chassis with a full detail one from a more modern kit.

My favorite part of modeling is building, sitting down with parts or a pile of Evergreen and making something. If I could outsource the painting and finishing of the body to someone else for a reasonable price I would consider it. I'm getting better at it but it's more of a chore than the construction side.

As for my top seven cars they would have to be:

69 Hemi Roadrunner

68 Shelby GT500KR Mustang with a SOHC 427

70 Cutlass Supreme 455

Ferrari 430

80 Camaro full restmod with modern Corvette suspension and LS 427

90 Suburban 4x4 3500 with modded Cummins 12v

78 F-350 4x4 with Detroit 4-71 and 2 1/2 ton Rockwell axles

Edited by Fat Brian

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

But you can rest assured that they would all be American cars built between 1949 and 1973! :D

All great answers!!   ( & wish I had written them)

BUT:    NONE truer than his last statement!

Edited by Khils

A big series of questions there, and some interesting answers already. Here are mine.......

What makes you decide to buy a certain model kit?

Usually subject matter, my preference being Japanese and American stuff from the 1960s to the '90s but I also have a few European kits from the same era and others that are a bit newer/older. Sometimes price, I'm more likely to take a chance on something cheap, even if ends up being a donor for another build, likewise I'm happy to spend a bit more on a kit that has a few options, alternative wheels etc that I can add to the parts box.

Does the box art sometimes make you purchase something you really didn't plan to, if so, give an example of such a kit?

Sometimes, yes. I'd rather buy an older issue which dates back to how I remember then when I was young even if there was a modern reissue available. I'll always a prefer a box which has a little bit of wear and has lost its shine over a crisp new one.

Does the manufacturer brand influence your buying choice, and if so, which is your preferred and least preferred and why?

I prefer the Japanese kitmakers, largely because they're more likely to build the cars that interest me. I'll go for Tamiya for quality, then Aoshima and Fujimi for subject matter even if they need a bit more work.

Of the American makers I've traditonally preferred Monogram, as I generally had good experience of them when I was young, but I wasn't so keen on AMT. Had an enjoyable build of a relatively modern Revell US kit so would happily do more of them.

What do you love about building a model kit and what's the least favorite part of the process?

Playing around with suspension and wheels/tyres to get the ride height and overall stance to match the image I have in my head is something I particularly enjoy. Getting a half-decent paintjob without polishing through to the primer is of course very satisfying, as is final assembly and fitting those last few components. Panel line washing and BMF is something I don't rush to do, but my least favourite task is painting black inside the window edges on modern cars.

Does a high parts count scare you as too much of a challenge, or does a low parts count make you feel the product could be toylike?

I'm happy with either. Many of the Japanese kits I like date back to being little more than motorized toys in the '70s, but there's some satisfaction to be had  in getting them to look good alongside other builds on the shelf.

What type of kit do you prefer (glue, snap, full detail, curbside)?

Whatever is available for the subject, I have no preference. I'm currently building several Tamiya snapfix kits and the way they're designed achives results which are just as effective as traditional assembly. To me it's trying to come up with a build which matches the concept I have in my head, realistic engine and/or chassis detail isn't necessarily part of that.

Do you like building options, and if so, what (engine upgrade, choice of wheels, decals, other)?

Yes, but not always for the kit in question - as mentioned above, it's always good to add new pieces to the parts box.

If you wish to give manufacturers a "non-subject matter" suggestion what would it be?

I share Les's dislike of the Revell Europe boxes, my preference is for the style used by Tamiya etc which has room for pieces to be laid out as they're assembled.

Now, something totally different, let's assume you had all the money in the world, a very understanding wife, thus no boundaries whatsoever and would like to start up an automotive collection, which 7 (real, NOT model kits!!!) vehicles, one for each day of the week, would you like...............

A big question there, the answer will probably change next week but for now:

1970-75 Opel Manta A

1976-ish Datsun Laurel

1980-ish Datsun Laurel hardtop (pillarless version of what I have now)

1990-ish Nissan Laurel with a subtle RB engine upgrade

Original version of the Honda NSX

Ditto Lexus LS400

Something American, full size from 1967-68. Buick Lectra 225 or the like.

Just detritus of my youth and in no particular order:

1961 Jaguar XKE BRG over tan leather

1963-64 Aston Martin DB-5 California Sage or Silver Birch (the Bond tie-in and its just my favorite body style)

1968 Mustang GT Fastback 390ci (Highland Green of course)

1968/69 Ford Torino Fastback Candy Apple Red or Presidential Blue

1975 Porsche 911 Turbo in white

2016 Shelby GT350 white with blue stripes

2020 Ford F150 with towing package (trying to convince SWMBO to get a luxo travel trailer and it would be easier if we already had the tow vehicle)

Extra credit: early 2000s Nissan Skyline GT-R in silver (body proportions, performance, reputation)

Edited by The Junkman

Most of my recent purchases are attempts to recapture models destroyed in my youth. Thanks Round2!
 -does the manufacturer brand influence your buying choice, and if so, which is your preferred and least preferred and why? Nope
 -what do you love about building a model kit and what's the least favorite part of the process? Yes
 -does a high parts count scare you as too much of a challenge, or does a low parts count make you feel the product could be toy like? Yes
 -what type of kit do you prefer (glue, snap, full detail, curbside)? Yes
 -do you like building options, and if so, what (engine upgrade, choice of wheels, decals, other)? I prefer to box stock or OEM, but I have modified and kit-bashed in order to get something that was never made.
 -if you wish to give manufacturers a "non-subject matter" suggestion what would it be?  Quality Control!

Cars for my Garage in order of preference:

1. 1969-1971 Lincoln Continental MKIII

2. 1969 Ford Galaxie XL GT 429

3. 1968 Ford Galaxie XL GT 428

4. 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 7 Litre Convertible

5. 1964 Mercury Park Lane Marauder 4 Door 427 4 speed

6. 1958 Mercury Monterey with 430 CI 400-hp 3×2 Super Marauder engine

7. 1957 Rambler Rebel the first muscle car!

The last one is an oddball, but it's always intrigued me because I've seen one race in a video and was blown away! The rest are big cars with big engines. I'm 6'4", I need space! I also don't fit in the norms, I'm a 2%!

11 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Dear hobby friends,

Remember January 1st?... Wishing your loved ones and friends all the best, in this which we thought would be a great new year!
Now we know better, in fact, the roller-coaster ride is still not over, but in these uncanny times, we find comfort with family and friends and keep our sanity through our hobby, in this case, the love of building/collecting plastic scale models.
Through this pandemic model kit building together with other "classic pastimes" gained momentum, and I'm thinking maybe a good time for us ambassadors of this Great Hobby here on the Model Cars Magazine Forum to help trying to find out the definition of that perfect kit in whatever segment.

So here goes...
 -does the box art sometimes make you purchase something you really didn't plan to, if so, give an example of such a kit?
 -does the manufacturer brand influence your buying choice, and if so, which is your preferred and least preferred and why?
 -does a high parts count scare you as too much of a challenge, or does a low parts count make you feel the product could be toylike?
 -do you like building options, and if so, what (engine upgrade, choice of wheels, decals, other)?
 -if you wish to give manufacturers a "non-subject matter" suggestion what would it be?

Now, something totally different, let's assume you had all the money in the world, a very understanding wife, thus no boundaries whatsoever and would like to start up an automotive collection, which 7 (real, NOT model kits!!!) vehicles, one for each day of the week, would you like to own, operate, have on display in your exuberant mancave... whatever...like, for instance, a replica of the Chrysler Norseman!

Luc

I almost always buy kits for subject matter, but kit price also tends to be a factor.  Sometimes I don't have the cash to play with sometimes so I'll try to get something cheap.  I tend to stick with cars mostly, but I've got a few starships and some anime girls.  Box art doesn't matter as much as kit accuracy and quality.  I'm perfectly happy buying a kit without a box.  So far the only thing I dont care for on model building is painting the body.  I dont have a set place to paint the body or set up an airbrush and I suck at spray painting, so I end up having to strip them pretty often.  

As far as real vehicles I would like to have.  I'd want two of my old cars back: my 1972 Buick Skylark hardtop and my 1978 Monte Carlo.  I'd also like to have a couple of my brother's cars, an '81 Firebird and a 1971-1973 Dodge Charger.  Beyond that, maybe a "land yacht" Cadillac, like a 1973 Brougham.

ok let me give this a shot

Pretty much always subject matter. I really only build cars and trucks

No

Only if there is 2 kits of the same subject but difference makers, I tend to like Monogram/Revell kits

I've always enjoyed painting the body and never cared for doing the body trim and chrome

I never check the parts count

I prefer full detail glue kits

I like having the option but rarely use that to chose a kit unless I have a plan for how I want to build it already.    

Double check your details

69 Cougar Eliminator

70 Javelin Mark Donohue Special

71 AMX

73 Mustang Mach 1

71 Hemi Cuda

66 AC Cobra

69 Lincoln Conv.

Edited by SCRWDRVR

The short answer to the first part of your post about kit buying factors? According to my wife: lack of impulse control. She’s not wrong. However, subject matter is first and foremost in my mind.

Favorite part of a build? I find foiling to be almost Zen-like. Hands down my favorite part of the build.

Least favorite? Body prep. Flash removal, filling, sanding, etc. So tedious to me, but certainly an important part of the process

Non-subject matter suggestions? Alternator and power steering pump brackets should be in every kit. Die cut window masks in modern car kits would be groovy. More white lettered tires would be nice. And how expensive could it really be to double up on certain decals? Like stripes or billboard graphics integral to certain stock builds? 

My magnificent 7:

1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst

1969 Hemi Roadrunner in Vitamin C orange

1965 Sport Fury fully resto-modded out w/ a 707 hp Hellcat Hemi, coil overs, one-off 20s on the rear/18s up front, big discs on all four corners in Dodge Destroyer Gray.

1970 Challenger T/A in FJ5 Sublime

Fully customized early 50s Dodge Power Wagon w/ a 6.7L Cummins Turbo, lifted, 44” Swampers in a matte Tor-Red

1969 Charger 500 in Formal Black

1967 Coronet R/T in Medium Turquoise Met.

On 10/31/2020 at 9:25 AM, Luc Janssens said:

Dear hobby friends,

So here goes...

Subject matter is number one.  It has to be something I'm interested in, but my interests are all over the map, though I have a soft spot for vintage stuff, and anything that's out of the ordinary, which is why I have a 2CV and a Chinese Red Flag limo in by to do pile.

Not really.  If anything,  Too much emphasis on the box art makes me suspicious of what's in the box.

Oh yes. Some menufacturers are better at some things than others.  My absolute favourite on classic subjects has been Jo-han. but of the current manufacturers, my favourites are probably Heller, ICM and Revell for producing nicely detailed kits of subjects I want.  Revell is the best for making nice parts for hot rod and custom kitbashing.  AMT and Lindberg have been low on my preferences for making kits of dubious execution, even more so when they charge collectible prices for them, but even they have managed to put out a few kits that are worth buying.

Probably the conceptual part.  Putting it together in my mind, and figuring out how to do the mods I want.  Painting is probably my least favourite part of the process, but I'm  getting better at it.

I have no problem with a high parts count.  As I see it, what I'm buying is modelling time, and the last thing I want is a kit that takes five minutes to finish, especially with what the manufacturers are charging now.

Definitely full detail.  A car is more than jut the body.  The machinery is what gives it life, and some cars.  Granted, most of the 50s-70s cars are pretty generic underneath, but for a lot of cars, the machinery is what makes them interesting.  As for whether anyone else can see all that detail,  I know it's there, and that's what matters.

I like having options, especially on hot rod kits, and the unused parts can be used on other projects.  Choices of wheels and engines are at the top of my list.  Come to think of it, it would be nice to have options on stock vehicles as well ( optional engines, and wheels/ hubcaps.  discs vs wire wheels on classic kits, etc)

Keep on including things like alternator brackets on engines, and decals fpr engine parts.

Separate side panels are still vastly superior to interior tubs.  Keep going with those.

For custom kits, I'd like to see masks for things like flames or scallops instead of decals.

Lamborghini Espada

Citroen SM

Bugatti Type 57 Atlantic Coupe

1965 Buick Riviera

GM Firebird III

Lancia Stratos Zero

Miller 91

Luc

You're welcome.

So here goes...

Subject matter is everything!  I’m all cars and light trucks. I tend to like more unusual vehicles, and more mainstreamers than a lot of modelers. I will buy four door sedans and wagons over a Hemi convertible.  

Our tribe are not the average kit consumers. We already know what’s in the box, we buy what we want even if it came in a plain white carton. Still, I appreciate nice box art and have favorites. I even have that famous Revell 57 Nomad beach scene box autographed by Bob Paeth

Again, we know what’s in the box. We know which kits are the best choices for the subjects we seek.

I enjoy the planning stage, seeing the model in my minds eye and pulling together the parts to make it happen. It’s magical to see it take shape on my bench, especially if it’s coming out like I imagined. My least favorite part is cleaning up parts.. mold seams, etc. and some of the routine parts of basic kit assembly.

No, I like a nicely detailed model with full chassis, but I don’t need a multi piece starter! I will put a modern detail chassis under a 1960s era kit to replace simple chassis. If a kit is simple, I can always add details.

I like a full detail kit like recent Revell offerings. Still, I will buy a simple curbside kit and sometimes build a full detail model out of it, and other times just enjoy building what’s there.
Yes. I think the era of getting two complete engines can a kit is over but I’d love to see that again.. a six and V8, or an original engine and modern Engine.. the AMT 41 Plymouth is a good example.

-if you wish to give manufacturers a "non-subject matter" suggestion what would it be

I think current manufacturers are doing a good job, with Revell and Moebius losing momentum due to changes of ownership. 

My 7-

65 Barracuda
73 Barracuda

Model A traditional rod roadster pickup

Original Mini Cooper

1953 Ford pickup 

1957 Ford

1956 Nomad 

Edited by Tom Geiger

What makes you decide to buy a certain model kit? 

Inspiration. That's it. If I look at a kit online, on the shelf, wherever, and I hit upon a cool idea, I buy it. I do not impulse buy or because of a favorite subject matter. If I did, I'd have one of the crazy 500+ collections like some of you madmen out there.  ? When I come up with a fun idea, I buy. Kits with lots of fun options, of course, will increase the likelihood of the fun idea happening though. 

The only exception - cheap parts kits at a swap meet or something. A kit with a great engine or chassis for $5-10 is hard to pass up.

7 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

Inspiration. That's it. If I look at a kit online, on the shelf, wherever, and I hit upon a cool idea, I buy it. I do not impulse buy or because of a favorite subject matter. If I did, I'd have one of the crazy 500+ collections like some of you madmen out there.  ? When I come up with a fun idea, I buy. Kits with lots of fun options, of course, will increase the likelihood of the fun idea happening though. 

The only exception - cheap parts kits at a swap meet or something. A kit with a great engine or chassis for $5-10 is hard to pass up.

x 2....^^^^

What usually gets me to buy a model is looking at other peoples builds. I'll see a few builds of the same kit but then I'll see one that's done in a particular way and will take inspiration from it. It could be the shade of paint, the colour combo or the builders style. A lot of kits I just like anyway, but if I'm on the fence on whether to buy a certain kit the usual motivation for me is seeing one done in a particular way. The other reason I buy a kit is if I can see something I can make of it other than the box art, especially if it's an old basic kit. Improving on the original sculptors work gives a huge sense of achievement.

On 10/31/2020 at 11:25 AM, Luc Janssens said:

Dear hobby friends,

So here goes...

Luc

Subject matter is why I buy a kit( why else would I buy a 1/18 scale Heller Formula 1 Renault kit?) Box art isn't a factor for me unless it shows the built up model being a badly appearing lump like the Monogram '69 Camaro or '56 Chevy hardtop). Brand isn't my top consideration for  kit purchase unless the maker has had a bad reputation( Palmer, Premier). I do recognize that because of advances in kit molding you can't compare a 60s AMT kit to a late Tamiya kit. I like the sense of accomplishment a completed kit gives me but I hate to have to file, sand, and putty to make pieces fit acceptably well. High parts content doesn't bother me but having pieces that can't be seen in the finished model is senseless( like the separate crankshafts in some 60s Revell kits).The type of kit doesn't matter as long as it's done well. Yes, I like options! What kind depends on the kit subject. My suggestions would two: Better discern what goes into a kit. Do we REALLY need two colors of windows or a mini replica of the kit box? And make sure the parts aren't crammed into the box so as to minimize the possibility of damage( this is you, Moebius).

My seven cars( in no special order):

1) A Chrysler Airflow

2) A '41 Packard LeBaron Sport Brougham

3) A '48 or '49 Packard Custom Super Eight

4) A '71 Pontiac Formula 455 H.O.

5) A Gordon-Keeble

6) My '27 Chevy Woodie finally restored

7)The HHR I have now or an HHR SS to replace it

On 11/4/2020 at 10:37 AM, Jantrix said:

I do not impulse buy or because of a favorite subject matter. If I did, I'd have one of the crazy 500+ collections like some of you madmen out there.  ? 

Hey! I resemble those remarks!  ?

Model kits make great insulation!

On 11/7/2020 at 1:41 PM, ZTony8 said:

Subject matter is why I buy a kit( why else would I buy a 1/18 scale Heller Formula 1 Renault kit?) Box art isn't a factor for me unless it shows the built up model being a badly appearing lump like the Monogram '69 Camaro or '56 Chevy hardtop). Brand isn't my top consideration for  kit purchase unless the maker has had a bad reputation( Palmer, Premier). I do recognize that because of advances in kit molding you can't compare a 60s AMT kit to a late Tamiya kit. I like the sense of accomplishment a completed kit gives me but I hate to have to file, sand, and putty to make pieces fit acceptably well. High parts content doesn't bother me but having pieces that can't be seen in the finished model is senseless( like the separate crankshafts in some 60s Revell kits).The type of kit doesn't matter as long as it's done well. Yes, I like options! What kind depends on the kit subject. My suggestions would two: Better discern what goes into a kit. Do we REALLY need two colors of windows or a mini replica of the kit box? And make sure the parts aren't crammed into the box so as to minimize the possibility of damage( this is you, Moebius).

My seven cars( in no special order):

1) A Chrysler Airflow

2) A '41 Packard LeBaron Sport Brougham

3) A '48 or '49 Packard Custom Super Eight

4) A '71 Pontiac Formula 455 H.O.

5) A Gordon-Keeble

6) My '27 Chevy Woodie finally restored

7)The HHR I have now or an HHR SS to replace it

Flintstone  can supply you with both the regular HHR and the panel version. I have both in my stash.

Subject matter is paramount- if I don't like the car, it won't be purchased. Scale is also important- I only build in 1/25th and 1/24th. I don't like kits with white metal parts although I have built a few- plastic or resin would look better and be easier to work with. Metal bodies on plastic chassis are a joke- the plastic (especially axles and suspension components) parts break from the weight. Again, I have built a few. I appreciate good box art, but it won't sell me a model I don't want. Part count isn't as important as part quality. Lately I have been doing more kit bashing, junker restoration and repurposing. I like 40's style hot rods, sports cars, Bugattis, and big luxury cars of any era. Here are my seven full size rides:

Bugatti T57SC Atlantic (borrow Ralph Lauren's)?

Fully hot rodded 1932 Ford roadster

Fully hot rodded 1932 Ford 3 window coupe

1961 Lincoln Continental 4 door convertible

1961 to 1963 Thunderbird convertible

Jaguar XK120 roadster

427 Cobra

And don't forget the Duesenberg SJ, Bugatti Royale, Bugatti T35B, !956 Continental MK2, 1953 Studebaker hardtop, 1936 Ford 3 window coupe, Matranga Mercury, Jaguar XK-E coupe, Harley Davidson knucklehead, Miller front drive Indy car, and my latest project- a boat tailed 2 seat 40's idea car with an egg crate grille and a dual overhead cam V-16!