Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

3 hours ago, crazyjim said:

How do you guys know all this stuff about different kits from way back?

We just make it up. As long as it's in print on the Internet it must be true!   ?     Amazing how much useless knowledge one retains!

Scalemates...  I recently went there to look at the Jeepster information.  I hadn't paid any attention to it in the past.  I once had an idea for crowdsourcing information about model car kits etc, and there it was!   I updated some information on the Jeepsters and provided better photos for two of the kits.  I wanted to add a version they don't list but the site isn't all that user friendly.  

If much of the information there is not accurate, maybe we all should adopt the site and fix it all?

5 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

If much of the information there is not accurate, maybe we all should adopt the site and fix it all?

The site is based in Belgium, and has a heavily European user base, so it isn't going to be the epitome of U.S. kit knowledge unless people from here go in there and spruce the place up. 

I've fixed so much stuff over time there it's garnered me a high level access than most users and I would be happy to add, subtract, or recombinate (as one Japanese vendor calls combining orders) anything on there for the greater good if anyone has rock solid release dates and or box art photographs for stuff in particular.

6 hours ago, TimJ said:

My last purchase of the year, another second hand Tamiya kit from my LHS.

I have a spare one of those oddball Hondas missing its glass, let me know if anything is missing or broken on yours as I should be able to help out.

I was going to say I wish there was a bricks and mortar shop near me selling secondhand kits, but then I remembered there is. Except they'll be closed at present......

All the parts are there, even the carpet. ?

My LHS will be closed today as we've been upgraded to Tier 4, that's why I went yesterday. The owner did say that quite a few of his regulars had been in stocking up as a precaution. 

I went into Ollie's yesterday to pick up a box of coffee K-cups, and noticed they were blowing out the remaining toys at 33% off their original prices.  Toys include model kits.  Only one automotive kit left by then, the Round 2 AMT White Road Boss, but I figured that for under $14, I'd grab one.  I opened the box but didn't tear open any parts bags...if I decide later that I'm not going to do anything with it, I know I can at the very least get back what I paid for it.  The kit includes the "Mercury" sleeper box that is sold separately, though the one in the White kit isn't plated like the separate one is.

Never thought I would get excited about getting a:
a) Ford
b) Model A
c) hot rod
d) Revell
e) from Hobby Lobby
f) all of the above

When I found out the GSL Common Kit is this kit, didn't see it at Hobby Lobby several times, made a special trip today and ta-da!  40% off to boot! ?‍♂️

IMG_0817.jpg

14 hours ago, cobraman said:

Thanks to gift cards from my wife and sister I made a Hobby Lobby run . 

9F68B3DF-E1E9-4A6A-AD96-92DC5142BA6A.jpeg

HL has the Testor Bronze again? Cool! Mine hasn't had it for a year, hasn't even had a slot in the rack for it. I'll have to check it out, as I need some. 

Got a couple useful items over the weekend:

1339154895_60fordpickupinterior1.jpg.5cd1dea62342eaeac6476b7b0580b5df.jpg

'60 F-100 interior bucket; the one in my pickup had a couple large chunks break off and stick thoroughly to the body when the PO dismantled it. A couple glass units were up but went out of my price range as usual.

1533580077_65chevelless1.jpg.60d214cd6776ccee00339dcabdbb536c.jpg

AMT Craftsman '65 Chevelle SS NOS wheels - only time AMT got them right; the '66 Nova SS used this style too, but the ones in that kit are molded so flat they look more like '63 Olds Starfire wheelcovers. I'll be molding and copying them of course.

(NOTE TO SNAKE: Were you bidding against me on these? Shoot me an email and you'll get the first set of copies.)

Price watcher's notes: This set of '61 AMT full-size whitewalls with '59 Dodge Royal Lancer wheelcovers (custom parts in the AMT '62 Imperial) bid up to $43.00 - three bidders fought for them and the winner upped his top bid twice before the end default_ohmy2.png.b10ac1bf47157e4acdf91b1fae2124fb.png.

1973422033_59dodgewheelcovers.jpg.b5951d7b4d1b7b2b3dd6f953ea4cb5e5.jpg

I have two originals - maybe I should make a new mold?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...