Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

9 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

It's nice to see a Stag out and about on the road, but I tend to overlook them at shows. Don't know if it's just a local thing, but the owners tend to turn up and do everything en-masse, and there's only so much interest can be had in a row of 12 similar cars.

Styling of the 2000/2500 saloons works better, I'd happily have one of them (or the elegant estate version).

Yeah, the 2.5 pi estate was... still streets behind the competition from BMW. Not bad cars, the Triumph 2000 / 2500 series, nonetheless.

Edited by DonW

While vacationing in the state of Maine last week I spotted one of these:

VW_Truck01.jpg.72b6f0840ed1608a970a59d7f1264b52.jpg

VW_Truck02.jpg.c622fc9e25eeb36f9e0c32d9e67a52de.jpg

These were fairly rare when new, and they are exceptionally rare nowadays.  I can't recall the last time I've seen one of these.  Same goes for the Dodge Rampage K-cars.

This cool VW was in an excellent (restored?) condition. It had an aftermarket steering wheel, and a performance shifter.

Edited by peteski

30 minutes ago, peteski said:

VW_Truck02.jpg.c622fc9e25eeb36f9e0c32d9e67a52de.jpg

These were fairly rare when new, and they are exceptionally rare nowadays.  I can't recall the last time I've seen one of these.  Same goes for the Dodge Rampage K-cars.

This cool VW was in an excellent (restored?) condition. It had an aftermarket steering wheel, and a performance shifter.

Custom bumpers from an early golf too, and what looks to be later rims, from possibly a mk3 golf or audi 80. I've got the c1 resin kit of that to build and it'll be pretty close to this one, just a little lower. I'd love to find one of these in that condition. All the ones i know of locally have been worked to death and have loads of rot

13 hours ago, peteski said:

There's a slammed one that runs around Aberdare where I live, with a sign on the back: 'Praise the Lowered'!

Here’s a nice trio for you. Seen today in the parking lot of a local body shop near my home in the hills of Northern Kentucky.

It was unseasonably cool weather today - high 70s - when it’s normally 90s and humid. No doubt a great day for a ride in that Vette convertible!

Just outside the frame of the photo was a ‘67 Camaro; equally nice as the other three gems.

A8DBA343-3809-42FA-B2F2-72D38863F53F.jpeg

No pics but in the last week I saw a "56 Chevy... a first I've seen one around my area.

This week alone while on the road on my job as courier, I saw a 1950 or 1951 GMC sitting in the driveway just outside Van Hornesville, a 1960(?) Studebaker for sale outside Richfield Springs also for sale and in need of restoration, a WW2 era motorcycle with side car for sale for $5500 on Rt. 20 outside of Richfield Springs, another classic I couldn't tell what it is sitting back in some guy's driveway - also outside Richfield Springs. I know it has a gold circle badge on the hood front. (Will post pics soon). And finally outside Herkimer on Rt. 5S, a mid to late 30s Chevy convertible with top down. 

Oh yeah, a fully restored orange 1971 Chevy El Camino SS. You should've heard her growl as she turned to the street I was waiting to turn in. LOL!!

Early 60s VW Bug in Cypress, CA.  

Red 63 Thunderbird convertible in Northridge, cruising with top down.

Very Red 68 GTO restomod in Granada Hills.

61 Bel Air 4-door on the 5 freeway south of LA.

72, 70 (2) and 68 (2) Cougars at the Monthly So Cal Cougar Club meeting in Cypress.

5 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

20200806_114152.jpg

I think you're going to find that is a later model Ural-orignally made with "liberated" machinery after the end of WWII.  Made  in Russia and been sold in the US (among other countries) since at least the early 2000's The newer iterations have a HORRIBLE reputation for build quality, reliability, etc. 

Edited by The Junkman

1 hour ago, The Junkman said:

I think you're going to find that is a later model Ural-orignally made with "liberated" machinery after the end of WWII.  Made  in Russia and been sold in the US (among other countries) since at least the early 2000's The newer iterations have a HORRIBLE reputation for build quality, reliability, etc. 

Yes it's a Ural, flat twin like the BMW but very crudely engineered.