Model Cars Magazine Forum

Now, THIS is a Car!!!!!

The Tyrell F1 car used the four front wheels to get more contact between the front tires and the track surface, for better handling.  The four smaller tires probably gave a better contact patch than two larger tires.

Kenny Youngblood sketched several four-front-wheel cars, I believe they were in HOT ROD.  As I recall, he drew up a '34 Ford coupe that looked pretty cool...

19 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Looks like something that Cruella Deville  or Gru from "Despicable Me" would drive.

In other words, it's closer to a "cartoon" than a "car".

Steve

I was thinking more like something Homer Simpson would drive.

Cruella De Ville ( played by the Bunny Boiler Actress Glenn Close) in 101 Dalmations actually drove a car in that movie named the Panther de Ville that looked like a parody of a Bugatti Royale. It had what looked like a UK reg no DEV 1 L on it.

Incidentally Panther also made a custom twin steer 6 wheeler way back in the 70's I think.

These esoteric customs are a bit way out for me, but, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

3 hours ago, Mark said:

The Tyrell F1 car used the four front wheels to get more contact between the front tires and the track surface, for better handling.

Not exactly... the Tyrell had four front wheels to give THE SAME contact patch and steering effect with much smaller diameter wheels, to minimise the front facing sectional area of the wheels. File under “it seemed like a good idea at the time” since it turns out that rotating wheels dragging air with them as they turn are not like big flat rectangular plates facing the airflow, and the hoped for “unfair advantage” didn’t materialise, whilst the engineering and handling turned out to be genuinely difficult. Everyone tries, but the successful engineering innovators in F1 since WW2 you can count on the fingers of one hand: Cooper, Chapman, Murray, Barnard and Newey...

best,

M.

3 hours ago, Mark said:

The Tyrell F1 car used the four front wheels to get more contact between the front tires and the track surface, for better handling.  The four smaller tires probably gave a better contact patch than two larger tires.

Kenny Youngblood sketched several four-front-wheel cars, I believe they were in HOT ROD.  As I recall, he drew up a '34 Ford coupe that looked pretty cool...

I suppose I could understand increased road contact for racing, but something makes me think that this behemoth is not really going to ever be pressed hard in the corners. :P

As far as I'm concerned, it's an utterly useless idea on a street car, and not particularly aesthetically pleasing either.

Seems like an added tire expense with no benefit whatsoever.

Steve