Model Cars Magazine Forum

Well it’s finally announced.😦

25 minutes ago, von Zipper said:

Cattle are the top source of methane emissions in the U.S

1svChX7.jpg

Livestock accounts for 37% of all U.S. methane emission and cattle are responsible for much of that producing 86.2% percent of that livestock methane 

Gives new meaning to a "fart can muffler". ^_^

Steve

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, von Zipper said:

I get bored easy ,

maybe I'll start a rumor that cow pharts will get you high and see how many gullible people will sniff a cows rump

of course Id take pictures and post them on social media 

A new Tik-Tok challenge!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/17/2022 at 12:06 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

And why?

Because there's nobody with dirt under their finger nails making the decisions.

Steve

Amen. Practical experience is invaluable, especially as it pertains to mechanical objects. Computer models and theories are great tools; however, for the past +/- 35 years, these hypotheticals and theories have seldom been tested in practical applications (e.g., EPA fuel mileage numbers for an instance).

Clean-smooth-manicured-hands-college-kids are the bane of my existence. They and their ilk have infiltrated every facet of the work force, including but not limited to, automotive design and engineering.

Refocusing myself here; I like the idea of E.V.'s - impressive performance and no appreciable emissions. I don't, however, enjoy all of the "techie" cr@p that they're all festooned with. More lights, visuals, and sounds than the Electrical Street Parade
So, here we are, 100-ish years on, and are having to acquiesce to forced technological advances. 
I'm not against E.V.'s, but I am against the cult-of-personality surrounding them -- and more so, the out-of-touch political factions who want for everyone else to relinquish their "dinosaurs" in order to "save the earth"... same rubbish I've been hearing daily over me entire 52 years on this "dying" earth.   

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Careful, don't let our government know that cattle are the top emitters of methane, they will slap more taxes on our beef and I won't be able to buy a burger!

They actually tried that exact thing in the early 2000's. They wanted to tax cattle farmers $500 per head per year. My father and I both agreed we would sell out completely if the law passed. Thankfully, it didn't. Be prepared. Beef is going to jump by a lot, soon.

• Like 1

Desalination of sea water seems like a noble idea, but the byproduct is warm salty slush. Not the best stuff to put back in the ocean. I guess one could pump seawater a few hundred miles inland, have the desalination plant there, and make a warm salty lake?

Not for nothing, but some folks gave Bill a rash of junk over alleged ‘conspiracies’, but if you look at the history of US policy and business practices, it comes down to one fundamental issue, money, with money comes power, it is what it is, those with lots of money have lots of power , you’ve never seen big money do the right thing, it’s always about how to make more money. Until we reach a collective consciousness of doing what’s right over what will make us profit, it’ll be the same cycle over and over again with worsening consequences. Just my thoughts , you may or may not agree, and I’m fine with that, just throwing my thoughts out there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

Desalination of sea water seems like a noble idea, but the byproduct is warm salty slush. Not the best stuff to put back in the ocean. I guess one could pump seawater a few hundred miles inland, have the desalination plant there, and make a warm salty lake?

Once again, why not become familiar with current thinking and state-of-the-art tech prior to making blanket statements like this?

Funny how some people point their fingers and rail at geezers for resisting the future, but many of the self same ones have absolutely no clue as to what they're talking about, and decry future tech that actually can work. In this scenario, useful products are extracted from the post-desalination brine, and nothing toxic is returned to the sea or ocean.

Another promising tech (watch to the end) can desalinate seawater very quickly and efficiently, with, again, useful minerals extracted from the salty residue.

Even the Salton Sea in California, an environmental disaster if there ever was one, could supply fresh desalinated water for a while, relatively cheaply, with the byproducts being minerals necessary for EV battery production.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, tbill said:

Until we reach a collective consciousness of doing what’s right over what will make us profit, it’ll be the same cycle over and over again with worsening consequences. 

But that would mean we would need to change the way we do things, which would be hard. So why not wait until the consequences come around to bite us? Then we would need to change the way we do things, which would be hard... but we don't have to worry about it right now. We can do it later! 

(Note: For the people seated in the back, my remark is what we call "sarcasm". Tom has a salient point here.)

• Thanks 1

I worked my way through university at a plant that made chlorine for bleaching pulp.  They did it by running a current through brine, breaking it down to chlorine, hydrogen and lye.  So if you do have brine that you have to get rid, there are things you can do with it that are useful and possibly profitable.

I've heard of plans to extract lithium from the Salton Sea, and it's been my understanding that it's not like they could damage the place any more than it actually is.  So many of the minerals needed for batteries can also be found in your friendly neighbour to the north.  It comes down to making the necessary investments.

As for eating insects,  I remember reading that at one time, lobster was considered fit only for poor folk, and you could get in trouble for feeding it to your workers too often.  Seeing the gusto with which people devour so many sea dwelling bugs, and how some place regard snails as a gourmet treat,  if done right, who knows? 

Wow. By the time I got to this thread it has moved on to saving the planet. OK. Interesting stuff.

Hope you you don't mind in I share an EV experience. We bought solar panels on a loan 5 years ago. Our Chevy bolt followed. When that lease expired, we finally got a low end Tesla. All good for us. We saved a ton of $$ on gas and electricity. 

When we first got the Bolt I ended up doing a stoplight to stoplight run for a few blocks agains a hot looking Charger He must of been shoked when the quiet little white car puled on him. The last run he started spinning his tires. Good times.

8 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

When we first got the Bolt I ended up doing a stoplight to stoplight run for a few blocks agains a hot looking Charger He must of been shoked when the quiet little white car puled on him. The last run he started spinning his tires. Good times.

The quickest vehicle I've ever in was my friend's son's 2019 Tesla Model S (or whatever the top line model is). There's a setting called Our Lady of Blustick Acceleration or some such, and it'll pin you in the seat! 
0-60 in two seconds!
WOW!
Prior to that experience, the quickest vehicle I'd been in was a 1970 Porche 914 with a 327/ 930 four speed which sat about a Post-It! Note off the ground. Handled like it was on rails. Frighteningly quick and fanny puckering fast.
That Tesla was quicker (can't attest to any handling prowess nor top speed). 

So long as we can keep our ICE-powered vehicles -- including having fuels to operate them, etc. -- there's room enough for E.V.'s in daily use and in hot rod applications.

6 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

The quickest vehicle I've ever in was my friend's son's 2019 Tesla Model S (or whatever the top line model is). There's a setting called Our Lady of Blustick Acceleration or some such, and it'll pin you in the seat! 
0-60 in two seconds!
WOW! 

Sounds like an S with Plaid mode.  They are quite fast, more so than an S with Ludicrous mode.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rob Hall said:

Sounds like an S with Plaid mode.  They are quite fast, more so than an S with Ludicrous mode.

Sounds about right. My friend's son is 40 and a techie (and a brilliant person in general), so I'm sure that he modified it in some fashion; Ludicrous Mode sounds like the nomenclature he'd mentioned.

Many people on this thread are saying that people are touting Electric vehicles as the saviour of the planet.  I don't think this is true, but it's definately a good step in the right direction.  Yes, the resources needed for batteries, etc is quite high, but the tradeoff is that there will not be emissions from billions of cars on a daily basis.

I think part of the problem (just my opinion), is people are getting tired of extreme technological changes that we are now seeing around the world.  Think about the technology from the 1950's to the 1970's:  Phones were basically the same, records were still the main way to listen to music, cars were stylistically different (but the technology was still the same),  TV's were the same (except for the invention of colour tvs), etc

Now, compare the technology from say the 1990's to now:  Smart phones are introduced, our consumption of media has completely changed (from records/cds that you had to buy to having access to every song ever recorded on your tiny phone), computers, electric vehicles, the ability to do ALL your shopping from your phone, etc.  

Things are changing extremely rapidly, and I think it may be overwhelming.  We've never seen such fast advances like this ever in human history.  

I'm not that old (47), and while I do embrace technology, I do find the speed of change a bit overwhelming sometimes and sometimes long for simpler times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tbill said:

Not for nothing, but some folks gave Bill a rash of junk over alleged ‘conspiracies’, but if you look at the history of US policy and business practices, it comes down to one fundamental issue, money, with money comes power, it is what it is, those with lots of money have lots of power , you’ve never seen big money do the right thing, it’s always about how to make more money. Until we reach a collective consciousness of doing what’s right over what will make us profit, it’ll be the same cycle over and over again with worsening consequences. Just my thoughts , you may or may not agree, and I’m fine with that, just throwing my thoughts out there.

Exactly. When the mindset changes then the best solutions will emerge. Not sure what it will take to happen though.

14 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Exactly. When the mindset changes then the best solutions will emerge. Not sure what it will take to happen though.

All you have to do is look at history to see that humans typically dither incessantly, talk and posture, and generally fail to accomplish anything concrete until it's almost too late.

Study the lead-up up to WWII, or more recently, look at Lake Mead and Lake Powell, which have been very obviously dropping quickly for 20 years (during which time those who could have mitigated the looming disaster did nothing but expel hot air).

Couple that with the fact that most people in power (and most of those who put them there) have zero comprehension of hard science and technology, can barely read and comprehend a string of words, think they're smarter than everyone else in spite of their abysmal ignorance, and you get what you get.

There is, for the sake of analogy, nobody driving the bus as it heads towards the cliff, but there's a very vocal party in the back arguing over what color it should be painted.

• Like 2