Model Cars Magazine Forum

Parts Box - The Box Itself

Okay we have all read, seen, heard, a hundred times about great model builds using parts out of their parts box.  I've been collecting parts in my own parts box, an oversize shoe box,  for over a decade and it is starting to overflow.  It's time to upgrade my parts box or boxes.  My question is what does everyone else use as their parts box?  How elaborately do you separate parts into various other boxes, if at all?  I'm getting really tied of digging through hundreds of small parts, after removing all of the big ones, hoping to find what might work for my latest build.  

My mom worked for a big store and would bring home coat boxes for us. We used them for dioramas and keeping spare and salvaged parts in. BUT.. the boxes were big and tough to sift through. Now I have 2 empty model boxes I'm using, 1 for regular leftover parts and 1 for stock car stuff.

A guy in the club does slot cars and sells spare parts at shows. I have his items stored in a plastic photo-box or 2. One is sorted by engines, the other general parts. Everything is bagged up. I just went through some of it to get a pair of bucket seats I needed.

Those "shoe" storage boxes are perfect for sorting parts and they are stackable if you get the same ones. I have most of my supplies and decals in them. I work out of one box of opened detail parts. I have another with all new items. Other boxes I have are general wheels and tires, stock car wheels and tires, street rod stuff, decals and rollcage parts.

I put mine in a small storage bins from Walmart. My tires and wheels and tire are in like a tackle box organizer. Look around hobby lobby or Walmart. Wheels and tire should be in something that you can put all the same tire and wheel that ar the same together. Hobby Lobby has all kind of things for organizing..

I have my left over trophy parts in 2 old amt boxes as they are just good decently strong boxes. all the other leftovers are in various size totes and food containers apart from my aftermarket and printed stuff which is in various stackable organiser drawers. I have a set of drawers next my bench for tools and sandpapers, glues etc..

I use this hardware organizer for most of my spare parts.

IMG_2502.thumb.jpeg.6a1bedd51c68dcbac2461b13f8fcedd9.jpeg

For my tires, I saw someone else use this thread spool holder from the craft store and got one for myself!

IMG_2503.thumb.jpeg.1b1e46847d893331733781f11d8e4b44.jpeg

For my wheels, most just end up in a tub since I seem to enjoy fishing through to find the wheels I want to use!

IMG_2504.thumb.jpeg.3e212312816ed90187f6a3c9be13926d.jpeg

Edited by Jordan White
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

I use this hardware organizer for most of my spare parts.

IMG_2502.thumb.jpeg.6a1bedd51c68dcbac2461b13f8fcedd9.jpeg

For my tires, I saw someone else use this thread spool holder from the craft store and got one for myself!

IMG_2503.thumb.jpeg.1b1e46847d893331733781f11d8e4b44.jpeg

For my wheels, most just end up in a tub since I seem to enjoy fishing through to find the wheels I want to use!

IMG_2504.thumb.jpeg.3e212312816ed90187f6a3c9be13926d.jpeg

Like the tire rack idea. 

I use a combination of storage options for spare parts. I have several boxes that models came in and have set some aside for different types of parts. Rathor than putting everything in one big box I have found for myself that it is easier to find something if the types of parts are segregated in different boxes. I.E. interior parts in one box and body parts in another. I do the same with left over engines which are broken down even further. I have a small plastic storge cabinet with drawers where I have exhaust, manifolds, carbs. and engine accessories broken down in their own drawers. This seems to make it easier to locate a part when needed. I also use an additional storage cabinet for wheels, by type as well as tires by type. Whenever I finish a build, I sort and put away any extra leftover parts in the appropriate storage boxes. 

I have stuff everywhere, some organized, some not, almost need to pay someone to sort it all out, cause I don’t have that kind of time, lol.

the organized stuff is in plastic clear containers about the size of a shoe box, and they are stackable. Wheels and tires are in one of those flat organizers for beads/buttons what have you, and I have a few of those bins with several trays in them hanging on the wall full of various items, and I have model boxes full of left overs that I got too lazy to sort out….

in short, I am no help to you, lol

• Like 1

I build mostly semi trucks and rarely “out of the box,” so I usually have a ton of left over parts. I use a parts organizer like Bill pictured above for smaller parts. I separate everything; mirrors have a place, emblems have a place, grilles, etc. I separate other items in various size ziplock bags, from snack size to freezer bags. There is a bag of fuel tanks, a bag of wheels, a bag of tires, a bag of drive axles, etc. I keep the bags in semi truck model boxes. I also have a model box full of truck cabs, hoods and bodies. Some of the boxes are stacked under my desk, others are in plastic totes. 

Dependent on size - Hardware organizer, Jewelry parts organizer from (Hobby Lobby they're Cheap), Stero Clear Plastic Shoe boxes for larger parts and assemblies everything in the shoebox gets bagged so it can be quickly found. Resin & 3D printed parts - R & M parts stay in the bag until used, stored in another plastic shoe box you can lay them on their side like a file card box. Photo Etch are in their bags on small pegs on cabinet doors. Tires - stored in another Hobby Lobby jewelry parts box.

Doug Whyte did a YouTube video on Make Spare Model Parts Easier to Find which is pretty helpful to get thinking about storage systems.

Edited by Skip
  • Like 1

Old printer paper boxes are great for bagging and storing kits that have had parts used, but still have all the major components--body, chassis, glass, grille, bumpers, etc...

I have a larger, three-drawer plastic cabinets that has tires and wheels. It fits under one of the benches. I have a couple of others of similar size that have sorted parts in them. I have another of the benchtop drawer cabinets that I use for the best or most-interesting parts. I also have a lot of parts in old model boxes. Those are sorted by category, as well--you know, like "Okay. That's a chrome body part. That goes in this box." If I'm digging through them and find, say a Johan Comet or Hornet grille, bumper, etc. I'll pull them out and put them in with the "interesting parts". 

On 9/17/2023 at 12:18 AM, av405 said:

I use these from Hobby Lobby. They're about $3 each. I have 4 of them and I use them to organize various odds and ends.

255752-99061-IMGSET.webp.109d2274f7956d256c62db262824fab2.webp

That's exactly what I use, probably have 9 or 10 full of small parts, both kit stuff and resin parts.  Agreed, they are cheaper than anything else similar that I have come across.  

If you wait until around Christmas, those plastic Sterlite shoe boxes hover around a buck or two each, they go up after New Years for the organizing season.  I use the shoe boxes for bagged parts, have one with complete engines alone, (plastic and resin), 1-quart Ziplock bags from Costco work, you can get some pretty big parts in them.

I take the easy & cheap way.. I store my loose parts in Vans shoe boxes and ziploc bags. The shoe boxes have flip top lids and stack nicely, saving room. The ziploc bags allow me to see everything in the bag easily without pawing through a drawer of loose parts. 

I'm still unpacking from the move so no photos, but here's a stock photo of the boxes I use. 

uPjFwExeJvtMRH4j.jpg

I use a leftover bankers box from work.  I keep leftover parts from each kit together in a plastic bag with a small piece of paper noting the kit.  That way I know where the part came from.  The only parts I separate are tires so they won't damage the plastic parts.