Model Cars Magazine Forum

Server Upgrade Started

At long last, the forum and main website will be migrating to a new server. We'll try to keep the disruption to a minimum, but I don't yet have a hard and fast schedule for any offline time. Our hosting company will coordinate with me as best they can, but there are likely some factors that are beyond our control. 

The new server should be faster and more responsive than the old one. We're also upgrading the underlying server software, which is a necessary security measure. 

If you find the sites offline, please bear with us. We'll have them back as soon as we can. I'll also update this posting as more information becomes available. 

Update 1: The new server is up and running. We will be doing a data migration sometime very soon. I'll try to make it more graceful, but you may get a time out for the entire site. 

Update 2: New server is in place, and it checks out good. I've given them go-ahead to do the final data transfer. The site will probably go offline tomorrow, Jan 28, while the final cutover happens. You may get various errors including "Host not found" while this is happening, and possibly afterward. Please bear with us as it can take up to 24 hours (but usually doesn't) for old information to get purged from the Interwebs. 

Update 3: Final migration is scheduled for 11 AM, Pacific today, Jan 28th.  If you have anything you're thinking about posting, consider holding off until this evening. 

Update 4: Migration is complete. All looks good so far, but let us know if you encounter any problems. 

1 hour ago, Dave Ambrose said:

The new server should be faster and more responsive than the old one. We're also upgrading the underlying server software, which is a necessary security measure. 

Hate to ask, but will it still run on XP? I get so many false "clock errors" and "privacy errors" now on various sites as it is.

52 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Hate to ask, but will it still run on XP? I get so many false "clock errors" and "privacy errors" now on various sites as it is.

That sounds more like a browser than OS version problem.  If you can find a current version of some browser to install on XP, that will probably cure your problems.  But that might be difficult nowadays with the XP support stopping few years back.

8 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

It shouldn’t affect that, but you’re going to have a much harder time finding a modern browser that will run on XP. Add to this the insecurity of that OS, and you seriously need to upgrade. 

17 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

At long last, the forum and main website will be migrating to a new server. We'll try to keep the disruption to a minimum, but I don't yet have a hard and fast schedule for any offline time. Our hosting company will coordinate with me as best they can, but there are likely some factors that are beyond our control. 

If you find the sites offline, please bear with us. We'll have them back as soon as we can. I'll also update this posting as more information becomes available. 

Thats great news because this is the first site i go to every morning with my coffee.!!! I really hope one of the things your going to do is get ride of the add's that are all over and come up in between subjects.!!!!