Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On 6/9/2020 at 10:05 PM, Matt Bacon said:

Pretty self indulgent, but I love this car, and you won't see many of them around, I reckon................

That SM kit looks fantastic, I've never seen it before.

Got this in the week, also French but rather less accurate:

50000971817_8812623435_b.jpg

1:24 Airfix Renault Alpine A310 kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

And some others over the last fortnight or so:

49976161656_8ae1648f53_c.jpg

1:24 Tamiya 1981 Toyota Celica XX 2800GT by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

49940823001_ba848b6701_c.jpg

1:24 Aoshima Nissan Skyline 2000 GTX-E.S GC111 kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

49971509777_8cf3ae49a5_c.jpg

1:24 Aoshima and Fujimi kits by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

The Skylines were bought primarily for the wheels, which are really nice new mouldings that will help when building loose replicas of a couple of 1:1 Datsuns. The Laurel is one I've been after for a while, I have a non-hardtop version in my garage and this is the closest I'll get to a 1:24 version of it.

Just in today... Sorry, no pictures yet... ?

The AMT Holiday trailer..

The AMT Holiday semi truck..

The AMT Ford stake bed truck with the Coke machines....

The AMT Autocar dump truck and the new Revell '29 model A roadster kit...  

I'm so happy, I'm doing the pizza dance over here.... ???

7 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Got these two, in the last couple of weeks. The Porsche was less than $9, shipped!..............

One of those 917s was one of the first couple of kits I built, along with an old Bentley. I recall it being quite fiddly and not ideal for a first kitbuilding attempt.

Those two kits are the only ones I don't have any more, not even in the parts box.

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

One of those 917s was one of the first couple of kits I built, along with an old Bentley. I recall it being quite fiddly and not ideal for a first kitbuilding attempt.

Those two kits are the only ones I don't have any more, not even in the parts box.

I haven't ever built any of these kits, but, I've always been impressed by the parts in the boxes! I'll have t try one, before too long.

It was a beautiful day for a motorcycle ride, so I ended up riding to a hobby shop. Overall, it was just under 600 km for the day. The shop had the Supernatural Impala, but I’ll wait until my LHS receives their shipment. Picked up these wheel sets, as well as a couple of cans of ELO. 

94CDB946-3ED4-413E-80E3-288B2EA7BF44.jpeg

Dropped by Micheal's today to see if they had anything worth looking at.  They had the '83 Hurst Cutlass and it was marked $18, almost picked it up but then saw hidden behind some other kits the latest Dodge Pickup release.  Decided I could do more with that one than I could the Hurst, although it was $30; but with a 20% coupon it wasn't too bad.  May stop by tomorrow and pick up the Hurst.

A few days ago, received this one from a facebook forum I follow.

Been casually looking for one for a while now. Just never could get one I felt was reasonable.

Got this one just as you see it for $45 postage included . I couldn't pass it up, and its the color I was looking for

58Caddy.jpg

1 minute ago, gtx6970 said:

Been casually looking for one for a while now. Just never could get one I felt was reasonable.

Got this one just as you see it for $45 postage included . I couldn't pass it up, and its the color I was looking for

Man, that is a nice Caddy.

On 6/13/2020 at 12:43 AM, Spottedlaurel said:

[...]

49971509777_8cf3ae49a5_c.jpg

1:24 Aoshima and Fujimi kits by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

[...]

Once owned the Lexus version of that Harrier, the original version, RX-300 (?).  It was a nice car, but discovered the ABS kicks in when you're drifting a corner rally style, because there was a cute alarm bell going off. Rhys Millen prepared one for a Ramada Express rally, he did pretty well coming in second behind an EVO5.  I have that Bike kit too.

1 hour ago, gtx6970 said:

Nice Bill!!

I bought the exact same model back when X-EL was still in business, and I don't believe that you spent much more than I did back in the 80s!

Great find!

Steve

Many years ago, when they were first released,  my friend Tim Lantz was telling me how much he enjoyed building the Monogram Ultimates. He said they were well done and fun to build. I guess that stuck with me because I found one at a good price and decided to give it a go. Funny part is that I did not break the seal and check it out when it arrived. Guess I'm saving it for another day.

IMG_2219-vi.jpg

IMG_2222-vi.jpg

11 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Once owned the Lexus version of that Harrier, the original version, RX-300 (?).  It was a nice car, but discovered the ABS kicks in when you're drifting a corner rally style, because there was a cute alarm bell going off. Rhys Millen prepared one for a Ramada Express rally, he did pretty well coming in second behind an EVO5.  I have that Bike kit too.

Interesting to know about the rally version. I have a 2014 RX450h as my daily driver, that Harrier kit is as close as I'll probably get to a model version at 1:24.

7 hours ago, carnut said:

Saturday I went to my local hobby shop for supplies and this decided to come home with me. I would like to find a set of mini lites and wide tires for this.

I have that one, seems like a good kit just a shame it has no engine. Fujimi offerings can be variable, some of their offerings from the 1980s are pretty poor with terrible rooflines and generic chassis, then they do others that are really nicely detailed.

Today the postman bought me a Fujimi Integra Type R, it looks like a decent rendition.

13 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

58Caddy.jpg

Gorgeous Caddie. Beautiful. 

13 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

58Caddy.jpg

Gorgeous model!

14 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

Many years ago, when they were first released,  my friend Tim Lantz was telling me how much he enjoyed building the Monogram Ultimates. He said they were well done and fun to build. I guess that stuck with me because I found one at a good price and decided to give it a go. Funny part is that I did not break the seal and check it out when it arrived. Guess I'm saving it for another day.

IMG_2219-vi.jpg

IMG_2222-vi.jpg

I think both the Ultimate kits ( Vette and Cobra ) were/are great little kits. I built the Vette and a few of the Cobra's. I have heard that Monogram was planning others but due to poor sales they canceled plans to do more. True ? I don't know.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 12:01 PM, Rodent said:

I have the Squire, and they are quite nice, especially the body. I have been carefully grinding the interior tub's wheel wells up a bit. I hope to be able to use the full radius of the donor kit's wheel wells and only have to cut a slice off the inside for clearance. Completely removing them and using the interior tub's wells isn't what I want to do. I am also going to modify and move the donor chassis' fuel tank and add a spare tire well behind the RR wheel.

What's ironic is I paid more than twice as much for this resin kit than I did for a running, Full-size 66 Country Sedan back in 1978 or so,

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...